1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

With Saddam arrested, who needs WMD?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    DR - The better analogy is my arm has had cancer several times in the past and the doctors are worried that it will spread. Then yes, take my arm, please.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes - take your arm. Ignore the fact that you have no insurance and will be paying the expense out of pocket. Ignore the fact that other options (such as chemotherapy, exploratory surgery, asian remedies, etc.) could have been exhausted first, but weren't. Ignore the fact that nearly every one of the doctors colleagues thought his evidence was shotty at best and wanted more compelling evidence to be presented for a proper diagnosis. Ignore the fact that the doctor's ethics will forever be in question from here on out.

But by all means - hack away. Arms are overrated.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You're forgetting that all the other remedies were tried for 12 years and failed to keep the cancer from recurring.

You're forgetting that there were plenty of doctors who agreed with the diagnosis.

You're forgetting that I believe the doctor's ethics are just fine the way they are.

Edit:
    Besides, hopefully I'll be getting a better replacement arm... after some pain and torment of course. :)

4. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Death Rabbit - *cough* straw man *cough*

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Perhaps you're forgetting the cancer was dealt with back in 93, and there is no compelling proof the cancer ever came back. In fact, the doctor admitted there is no proof, despite his previous claims your arm was chock full of cancer.

Perhaps I feel it's wrong to call only 3 doctors "plenty."

Perhaps I'm wrong because I don't think our leaders should be given a blank check for the integrity of our nation's word. Perhaps it's wrong to request honesty from the government who is supposed to represent you.

Or, we can call people names like "straw man." Wny not throw in "traitor" and "Saddam-lover" in while your at it? It seems to be the "right" thing to do these days. Rock on, fellas.

6. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    That's where we differ in our opinion. I don't think the cancer was dealt with, it was merely beaten back a bit. It was always there threatening to resurge.

Also, I don't think anyone was dishonest, though of course we disagreee there too.

Try 49 doctors.

But as this is not really going anywhere, and I'm just repeating myself for the umpteenth time, I'll leave you to have the last word if you so wish.

Oh, Jack was calling your argument a straw man, not you...

7. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Fine, we can agree to disagree and believe what we want. We both will anyway. Thanks for playing.

And I know what he meant, thanks. Insulting my point of view is the same as insulting me. But I'll try not to cry about it.

8. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Did you know that cancerous cells replenish the telomere ends of DNA molecules that are normally reduced each and every time a cell undergoes mitosis?

Work THAT into your analogy...

9. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

10. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Working with the cancer analogy- you think you may have had cancer at one point, but it went away, and now you're not sure, but you don't care if you have cancer; because you want to hack off that arm anyway and replace it with one from robo-cop, so you can rule with an iron fist, (I can't believe how well this analogy worked) while pretending that you aren't doing the same old things with the new arm that the old arm did.

All other means were far from exhausted, the only things they really tried were resolutions and sanctions, that is two other things, and handled badly anyway. I think right now that the US Admin is more of a threat to the neighbouring countries of Iraq than Iraq ever was.

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

That's an editorial. ie. Somebody's opinion. That's no more valid than any of the arguments presented here.

The US never tested Biological and Chemical weapons on the Iraqis. The US never committed greivous harm to the Iraqi economy simply because we were having a bout of insanity. If anything, we're trying to rebuild Iraq. Oh, and if you call the nation-building skills of the US into doubt, look at Japan and Germany.

That's the point, the cancer never truly went away. It was merely in remission.

12. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I agree. However (and this is the last point I'll make on this before I cancer myself silly) what I have a problem with is that it appears our doctor knew damn well the cancer was in remission, but instead insisted the arm was crawling with tumors. Surgery has to happen now, and no it can't wait. But what do we find when we look? - No cancer. I'm simply asking, "So, where are all the damn tumors you promised?" And the Doctor is simply saying "Cancer, no cancer - what's the difference?" Sorry, but that bothers me.

We can let the cancer analogy die now I think. :)

13. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    We are back to arguing the same things again. That Saddam used chemical weapons was fine with the US while he was fighting Iran. In fact we sold him some of the chemical WMD that he used in the Iraq/Iran war. Also, let's not forget that while we were asking our allies not to sell weapons to the Iranians, guess who was? I can still remember Ronald Reagan, another prez who had no regard for the truth saying, "I don't seem to recall that."

So the US sold weapons to both sides, not really caring who received them or who was using them on whom. Now, there's all this crying over the Kurdish population that their old buddy Saddam used them on. But that's a good plan - sell weapons to a "friend," then attack him for using them. Makes sense to me!

[ December 20, 2003, 07:22: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

14. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Just to be clear to everyone (BTA already pointed this out, but...) my use of the term "straw man" was not name calling directed at Death Rabbit, but a reference to the straw man fallacy that I felt DR was guilty of commiting.

DR, you can complain that "Insulting my point of view is the same as insulting me", but that is nonsense. I called you on a logical fallacy.

Is that against the rules?

Now, back to our regularly scheduled debate...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.