1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wireless network multiplaying problem

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Apeman, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I finally got my own place with a wireless network for internet usage. Now me and my best friend tried to start a multiplayer game through IPX access using an IP address for hosting and joining. Thing is if he uses my wireless network with his laptop he has the same IP address, and when we try to connect it doesn't work.

We also tried it through gamespy Mplayer with the same results. Thing is gamespy warned us that because of some firewall problem I use two IP addresses which may prevent me from hosting a game. Same message for my friend.

Is there a way around this. I really would like to play a multiplay game on the same wireless network, if it's possible.

2. Lycrius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have same problem with baldur's gate (most modern games work well) but you could try by checking first whatever windows firewall is preventing the access. If you can't see your game listed in the exeptions list add it there. Also if you're using (duh) any antivirus/firewall program make sure you give the game rights to access internet (in F-Secure 6 for example you have to enable the "application and port" option in both incoming and outgoing data). Works for Dark Crusade and some other random games I have.

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Well I have Icewind dale (the game in question) listen in the windows firewall list. On top of that I have the free Avast scanner running, but I don't know if that is blocking anything or how to change it.

BTW what option do I have to choose ingame for a wireless network which we both use. Is that an IPX game or a LAN network?

I'm such a disaster when it comes to these things

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    IPX is an outdated protocol, LAN would be what you want. You might need to assign separate internal (or external) IPs to the computers on your network. What usually works best is to temporarily disable all firewalls and programs that you think could be blocking the internal connection to see if they're actually responsible for that. If that doesn't work, it's relatively complex to set it all up properly when there's a router in the mix...

If IWD supports it, a direct cable connection would probably be the easiest to set up for just two computers.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Direct cable would be an option, but exactly what kind of cable do you need for that, do you need to install software for that, and do you need some kind of network card?

Would this be the way to set things up? Direct cable connection

[ July 11, 2007, 19:15: Message edited by: Apeman ]

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yup, that's it. It'd probably work with a crossover UTP cable too. Most laptops have a modem and network card integrated, so it shouldn't be hard to find at least one cable that both of you can use.

7. Lycrius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'll have to try that too. Never crossed my mind.

8. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Last question here. I found a direct USB-USB cable, which can direct two computers together to share files. Question: will this work for direct cable multiplayer?!

USB cable

9. Taluntain

Media:
    I don't know, you'll have to try it. If Windows supports it for DCC it should work, but you can't really be sure if the game does until you try. I think IWD is rather pre-USB...

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Very well, thanks for the advice!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.