1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Winter Olympics!

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by LKD, Feb 13, 2010.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Anyone watching? Anyone care? I enjoyed watching the ski jumping -- it made my knees hurt just watching it, though.

I can't help but wonder how many of the star athletes are using designer steroids that aren't detected by current tests.

2. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I loved the opening ceremonies, but the ski jump just doesn't tickle my fancy. I'm waiting for the more gymnastic events like the snowboard 1/2-pipe.

3. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Don't judge ski jump before you've been to the top of that tower - those guys are crazy :) . Hockey is my main interest in Vancouver, but I'll check some other events too.

4. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Oh, I'm not saying it's easy. I'm just saying it isn't really exciting to watch. Now the Alpine skiing is crazy and fun to watch!

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Oh no! Our hero Sven could almost have died at Svencouver :(

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I watch the Olympics. There are, in my opinion, a lot of good TV events. I even like the speed skating. My wife loves figure skating, although I maintain that that is a sport where there should be no men competing by themselves. I don't have a problem with the couples thing, but there is just something very effeminate about that sport that is exemplified when there is only a man doing it. The outfits certainly don't help their cause either. A guy should not be wearing sequins. Some of the "shirts" I saw the men wearing last night in the couples skating looked more like a woman's blouse.

I did like the opening ceremonies, and I like the skiing events, and I caught a bit of the luge on Saturday. One thing I will say about the winter olympics is that the people who compete are absolutely nuts. There are a great many events like the luge, skeleton, bobsled, alpine, ski jump, etc., where they are travelling at close to 90 mph! You don't generally see those kind of speeds for most of the summer olympic sports. I like both the winter and summer games, it just seems like the winter ones are more dangerous overall.

7. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    My mother-in-law argues that any 'sport' that requires a judge to assign points or determine the winner (and not just enforce laws) is not really a sport and shouldn't be included. It would certainly save the IOC from some of the embarassments of the past, especially around figure skating (I have a few questions about last night's scoring on that note), but it would also remove some of my favorite events: the half-pipe, uneven bars, aerial skiing, etc.

One of my complaints about it all, though, is the coverage. Here in the US, NBC has the contract, and I swear they spend as much time on random bio-pics and useless information as they do on the actual games. As a result, we generally see all the US competetors, maybe some of the host-country ones, the ones who end up with medals, and few if any others. For example in the ski jump, there were 20 people in one heat. We actually saw about 5 of them, and 3 of the 5 (all 3 Americans) weren't even in the qualifying number. The rest of the time? Random interviews with people who at one time participated in the sport, the complete history of the sport, someone's life story (especially Apollo Ohno's, I think I've seen that 5 times now), and other stuff that I don't care about. At one point in one of the events, they even took time away from the program to talk about the other comentators for other nations (specifically a couple of Canadian comentators).

Do other countries suffer similarly?

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    The best thing about the Winter Olympics is that many of the sports are bizarre and you can't believe they are actually sports. That makes watching them more exciting. We were watching the short track racing. When the two South Koreans (I think) wiped each other out that was amazing. Stuff like that doesn't happen in the Summer Olympics in which pretty much everyone knows what the events are and what the rules are. Most of the weekend they had to explain the rules and how they were scored. I especially liked the sport that was first a long jump to establish the starting delay times and then a 10K cross country ski.

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    The Nordic Combine, yeah, that was fun. The Biathalon was fun, too.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The biathalon is just odd... Skiing and shooting together... I don't get it.

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Congrats to Canada for their 1st home gold! :clap:

I've got a question for all Canadians *not* living in Québec. Does it annoy you that the announcers speak French first, then English? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know the official languages of Canada are English *and* French....but ummmmm, last time I checked, Vancouver is on the completely opposite side of the country as Québec. Hell, it's not even alphabetically correct! :nono:

To me, it would be like speaking Spanish first, then English during the 2002 games. :bang:

(Spanish might not be an *official* language...yet...but there are more people who speak Spanish as their 1st language in this country than there are people who speak English as their 1st. :bad: )

12. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    It comes from winter hunting in... umm... somewhere in Scandanavia or the like. They'd ski around in the winter as the easiest way of transport on foot, so logically those that hunted in the winter did so on skis.

The Nordic Combine, though, is an odd combo. Jumping and cross-country skiing?

13. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

In Finland, coverage isn't a problem. Every night, from about 8pm to 8am the national broadcast company shows pretty much every event possible, sometimes from two channels if events overlap. There's also reruns and recaps in normal sports news etc. Naturally sports that have Finnish athletes are covered better than the rest.

Weird but also very hard; just imagine shooting 2 inch targets from a 160ft range after tough physical exercise.. and the rifle has a standard iron sight without optics to make things harder.

As you said earlier, many of the winter athletes are totally nuts. I watched alpine skiing (mens downhill) earlier today and I would never, ever want to go down that slope, let alone skiing it down 65mph.

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I thought the moguls was frickin' insane. These people are whipping down with their legs pumping like pistons, and, then, OH, what the heck, let's jump off this ramp, do a flip/twist combo, land, and rip down more moguls even faster, and then, bam, another jump.

It looks fast in the normal camera angle, but when they switch to the camera at the side view, and you see the actual hill angle and how fast they are really going, all I could think was WTF!!?? these people are suicidal.

Beautiful to watch, though.

15. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

I guess I don't see what's so odd about it. It's sort of a military thing... In countries that have lots of snow and long winters, particularly before the advent of mechanized vehicles, I'd imagine that having soldiers that could ski and shoot was a fairly common necessity. I'll agree that as a recreational activity, skiing and shooting seems like a strange mix.

Also, as NOG points out, in some countries, any hunting in the winter may involve both skiing and shooting.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Actually, WWII shows that trained men with skis and rifles can best mechanized forces that outnumber them, given the right situation. Durring the Winter War, the Finnish ski troops decimated the Russian forces, including tank divisions! Later on, the Russians used similar troops to good advantage against the Germans in Moscow. Today, Sweden, Finland, and Norway still keep standing armies that include ski troops.

17. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Kitrax, we are used to the French taking up more than their fair share of Canadian time, money, and spotlight. I personally hate it, but I also hate long line ups at the supermarket -- but there's not much legal that can be done about it.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    AND

Oh, I understand the history, it's just that I don't know of any other event that has it's roots in hunting. Sure, there's skeet shooting at the Summer Olympics, but they don't make you hike through the woods first like you were going on a duck hunt...

19. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

Archery is an Olympic event and derives from hunting. In field archery (not an Olympic event) the competitors shoot to different targets at different ranges while moving in forest or other rough terrain by foot.

There are many variants of biathlon, where the skiing is replaced with running or swimming (both at summer) or the rifle is replaced with a bow. Apparently there's even Primitive biathlon with snowshoes and muskets :)

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I am not aware of any of these events. Sure, there's skeet shooting and archery, but they don't make you run, hike, whatever to different areas to perform the shooting part. And I've never seen any form of biathlon where you run/swim and fire arrows instead of ski and use a rifle.

EDIT: Did the Canucks do anything cool with the medals? I haven't seen a picture of any of them, and I haven't seen any medal ceremonies yet. Anything cool like the Chinese did in '08 putting jade in the middle?

EDIT2: One other question - why do men figure skaters cross dress? Most of them wear shirts that indistinguishable from what a woman's shirt would look like. I mean, the sport is effeminate enough the way it is - why do they have to dress like women?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.