1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Munchkin Blender, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    One quick question about Vista 64:
    I'd like to have 64 basically because it will work on my computer, and because I'd like to be able to exploit my (planned) 4GB RAM to the fullest; I also want to have 8GB at some later stage (growth potential). I think that buying an OS is a longer term investment and I don't want to buy Vista twice, once in 32, and then in 64 when driver support works. I might in that case just go with XP Pro and try to get Direct X 10 work on it.

That said:
    How good or bad is the situation with the driver support? Is Vista 64 ok? What are in your view or experience the limits?

3. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I have had no driver problems with 64-bit Vista so far. Also, I am not sure about other versions, but at least with Vista Ultimate both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are included.

4. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I have added the XFX 8800GS XXX Alpah Dog edition to my system and reran Vista performance.

Here are my scores....
    CPU 5.5
    RAM 5.9
    Aero Graphic 5.9
    Video Game Graphic 5.8
    HDD 5.3

I am kinda shock that the video game graphic scored 5.8 since almost all of the things I have read had the 8800GS scoring 5.9 in Vista performance. Considering I am using a factor OC 8800 GS I figured my Vista Graphical score would easily be 5.9. Does anyone know why I scored .1 lower?

Here is my system and it current settings..

Acer 19" LCD using the VGA to DVI adapter w/ a resoltion of 1280x1024
    AMD 8450 Phenom x3 (stock clock)
    FoxConn 780G motherboard
    G. Skill DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 5-5-5-15
    250GB Maxtor Diamond 10 w/ 16MB cache
    LiteOn DVD RW
    XFX 8800GS XXX
    Antec Basqis 500W
    2 80MM case fans running at full speed

I am using the default setting on the motherboard.

If the score is lower due to the adapter than I have to accept the performance hit for what it is, but if it is due to the default settings on the motherboard, than I want to correct the issue.

Yeah I am being a little anal about the Windows performance score, but it does help someone like me find out where something might be receiving a lower score than it should be due other components or how the bios is setup.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.