1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows Vista near collapse, says Gartner

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Montresor, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Fairie Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Media:
    That and it's so pretty it makes the Baby Jesus cry..

But Vista is just the most effort I've ever seen from M$ to speed computers up as a plank to Vienna (M$7's code name, which I like, so I'll use it).

If they'd just beef up XP a bit, they'd have such an easy ride for at least a few years while Gates buggers about with his touch screen table. (Look it up, he invented one.)

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    If performance is less, and you gain nothing from getting this lesser performance, then it is the most illogical choice I can think of. Why cripple your PC's power for no benefit whatsoever? With Windows there is no such thing as "strong enough" - if you can get a performance increase, why not do it?

What, you actually thought I was making this up? :)

No trick there. They have been losing every monopoly lawsuit filed against them for a decade now, have consistently failed to obey the rulings imposed them, and nothing whatsoever has happened to them as a result. Whether you like it or not Microsoft is effectively above and beyond the law.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Not really the same situation... ME truly was the worst ever Windows. The issue with Vista isn't that it's really bad, just nothing so special to be worth switching from XP to. If XP wasn't working satisfactorily for the wide majority of people, they'd be much more inclined to switch to Vista.

No, I just happened to come across the article.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Good point.

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    An article in the Danish "Erhvervsbladet" (Link, for those who understand the language:)) mentions that Vista is too heavy for popular lightweight PCs that can easily run Linux or Windows XP, but not Vista. To run Vista you need a high-end, and thus expensive, computer.

I expect this problem will solve itself as computers become more powerful (assuming they continue to do so) and computers that can handle Vista become affordable.

In the meantime, if Microsoft stops supporting XP, some of their users will most probably migrate to Vista. But users with computers that can't run Vista (and who don't wish to upgrade their hardware) will be forced to stick with XP, or switch to Linux.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    You make that sound like a bad thing. My laptop can't run Vista...but I don't feel "forced" to have XP...I *prefer* it. :D

Besides, with the countless programs that add "Vista Features" tp XP, my laptop actually looks and feels like it's running Vista...just without all the issues or bloatness. :rolling:

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

We were selling used 500MHz G3s at my former job. I had to learn MacOS the hard way, and do so FAST.

Woah, two in two? That's enough, Harbs.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.