1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows in a Mac: A crime against nature?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Colthrun, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

[​IMG] We recently got at work a series of brand new Macs with Intel Duo Core 1.18Ghz processors. For those who may not know this, this processor gives the Mac a good speed boost (it nearly runs twice as fast as a G5 with similar specs). The interesting part is, however, that it technically allows to have Windows XP installed in a Mac computer. :eek:

Well, not just technically. We found a Windows XP (SP2) CD and performed the installation as indicated in the Apple website. After some minor troubles with drivers (specially for the Wireless Airport Card) and some unrecognised devices (like the built-in camera), we had the thing running. Now we have Tiger (OS 10.4.6) in one partition, and XP in another...

I can't help but feel like this is a crime against the stablished order of things... But woah! I have a 4.5Ghz PC at home with more than twice the amount of RAM than this Mac, and Windows XP runs way more smoothly in the Mac. File copying works differently than in a standard PC, especially when dealing with large files (100MB and over), but the rest just responds instantly. On Monday I'll install more applications and see how it deals with them.

I think I've fallen to the Dark Side :tie: :tie: :tie:

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

It's the end of Macs as an independent platform. From now it's just about Windows vs. SuSe Linux. :deadhorse:

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It's the beginning of a new era :)

At least until Vista comes out. Then we'll all switch back to the Commodore 64 :lol:

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well...to be fair, it isn't hard to beat a mac. :rolleyes:

Personally, I would never buy a mac even if it could have WinXP installed on it. But on the other hand, the company I work for makes several microchips that are in these new macs...so if I promote them enough, my stocks might go up 0.00001% :p

So in that light...YES! Buy this thing! :p :rolleyes: :rolling:

5. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I've installed Office 2000 (can't afford any other, so sue me :p ) and Corel Draw 10 in this contraption. Office does load up faster, and responds better than in a PC, but I couldn't really tell the difference with Corel. I tried some complex effect renderings and the speed was the same as in the PC.

I also performed a full system virus check, followed by a defrag. The virus check was quite speedy, although the defrag took some time.

I wish I could install a game here at work to see whether it would really be worth it to ever get an XP'ed Mac...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.