1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WinApple Applesoft BASIC help

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by RockbadgerX, Sep 4, 2014.

1. RockbadgerX Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Resourceful

Hiya,

Way back in the early 80's I was quite competent at programming in Applesoft BASIC. About a week ago I started programming my own RPG in WinApple.

Question:
    1) Does anybody know where I can find a program that will import modern type graphics files (tiff, jpg, giff, etc) into bitmaps that can be read by apple? For instance if I create a suitable resolution image in photoshop- how can I get it into Winapple and saved to disk for use by my own programs?

2) I do have copies of Graphics Magician & Beagle Graphics that function reasonably well. Back in IIe days I was capable of designing pictures on Graphics Magician and incorporating them into my own games. But it doesn't seem to run well on WinApple. I cannot get either program to recognise my mouse or graphics tablet for drawing purposes. I'm running Win 7 on an Acer desktop. Any suggestions?

3) Does anybody know where there may be copy of NibbleDuet? Does anybody know of a program to create applesoft sound effects, or perhaps a page of code somehwere?

I have been doing a lot of research myself but come up with dead-ends :(

Help would be appreciated.

2. TOMMYPTR Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Sound Programming

I too have my own ambitions to build a AppleSoft game... and actually I am in process of rebuilding (expanding) an old Operating System BOX OS that I built as a kid. But, I just completed a very complex MIDI importer for music... there are SO many limitations, but I am very pleased at the end result, I have generated two hours of apple II playable music using my software, and I will lend my software/expertise to help you put music into your game, if you want. Take a look at my channel, i've got about 45 minutes of APPLE II music up there... LASERACTIVEGUY on youtube. Contact me if you want to work together, this sounds exciting!

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 42 seconds later... ----------

I just made this profile to respond... if you want to talk, msg me at the LASERACTIVEGUY youtube channel, chances are Im going to forget all about this place. -Tom from USA

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Fifteen to twenty years ago, I'd have strongly advised you to post to the comp.sys.apple2 newsgroup.
    Possibly comp.emulators.apple2 as well.
    I think it is still somewhat active, but I haven't lurked there in years. It's nothing like its heyday in the '90s, but it's still worth a shot.
    The interface sucks, but Google Groups can still let you post there if your ISP like mine no longer offers a newserver (I REALLY miss DejaNews, that they purchased and absorbed. I thought DejaNews interface was somewhat cumbersome compared to a real newsreader, it's nothing on Google Groups).

I know nothing about WinApple, but I've still got an Apple IIGS in mothballs and was a somewhat competent AppleSoft programmer. I could post the code from AppleSoft BASIC Programmer's Reference Manual that tells you how to POKE in a machine language routine that will tweak the speaker to make various tones.

I remember that there was a program that could import and view GIF images for the Apple II family, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called. I KNOW there was one that CompuServe customers could download, and I'm almost positive GEnie had one too, but I didn't have a modem until the mid '90s after they had all dropped Apple II support and CompuServe had gone the way of the dodo.

I do know that SuperConvert could do what you want, but it's an Apple IIGS commercial program. I'm 99.9% sure The Graphics Exchange can do it too. Again an Apple IIGS program.
    You can find most of those old Apple IIGS abandonware titles here:
    http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/utility-applications

A similar site for Apple II abandonware titles is here and if what you want is anywhere, it would be in the images\graphics or images\utilities (refers to disk images, nothing to do with graphics), unless it's in the "unsorted" or "incoming" folders. Asimov has been an Apple II pirate site since at least 1994, although they did have a major crash at one point which is why the files dates don't reflect that.

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/

Finally, if you want to check out freeware, shareware, or public domain solutions, look here. 100% legal, which has a mirror for all the old Apple II FTP sites
    http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/
    I THINK the inferior shareware teaser SHRConvert (crippleware version of SuperConvert that succeeded it) can do what you want, but it too is an Apple IIGS program. Sorry, I had an Apple IIGS, so I was more interested in converting images from other computers to "Super High Resolution" graphics 99.9% of the time as I didn't have any graphics programs for the Apple II Family. Heck, the only Apple II family productivity program I had was AppleWorks 2.1 and then later AppleWorks 3.0.

Sadly, I never had much luck downloading .SHK files with late '90s or early 2000's browsers via HTTP.
    ( Netscape Navigator 1.1-3.02, Netscape Communicator, IE 3-5 for Mac OS 8.6, whatever version of Opera was available for Mac OS 8.6 at the time of Mozilla 1.1 or Mozilla) .SHk.bz or .shk.bsc or that other extension for BINSCIIed files (I mothballed my Apple IIGS in 2007, and it was even longer since I downloaded any software- only text files- it's been a while), no problem, but SHK refused to decompress back on the IIGS, while it downloaded fine via FTP using Netscape.
    Hopefully that's been solved.

Sorry I can't suggest any Apple IIe solutions, only Apple IIGS ones. I only remember the ones I actually used back in the day, and they were tailored to take full advantage of my superior Apple IIGS hardware.

---------- Added 0 hours, 9 minutes and 8 seconds later... ----------

I just thought to consult the Comp.sys.apple2 FAQ and it recommends IIGIF.
    Found here:
    http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/apple2.archive.umich.edu/apple2/8bit/graphics/iigif.bsc
    (link to site)
    http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/apple2.archive.umich.edu/apple2/8bit/graphics/

You'll need ShrinkIt! and BINSCII to decode the file. It's sorta like a tarbell, but instead encoded to survive transmission on the internet.

---------- Added 0 hours, 8 minutes and 31 seconds later... ----------

I had to do a quick search for the FAQ. There are two different ones. You might want to look at them both. Look for the one by "Nathan Mates" and the other one by Rubywand. Also if you have the time, look into the Great CSA2 FAQ Flame War of 1997. It was amusing. Yes, I am the same Slick that made the light bulb joke almost 20 years ago.
    http://fjkraan.home.xs4all.nl/comp/apple2faq/
    http://fjkraan.home.xs4all.nl/comp/apple2faq/app2faq3.html

---------- Added 4 hours, 27 minutes and 40 seconds later... ----------

RubyWand's FAQ as of 2010 is here
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/comp/comp.sys.apple2.html

Looks like he stopped maintaining it in 2010 AFAIKT, but I haven't done more than a cursory glance. Not bad, he did it from 1997-2010.

Doesn't really cover GIF for the Apple IIe, just covers GS solutions. Hence why the two FAQs were complimentary.

Sorry, I've been out of the Apple II community since 2007, but it was my first computer, and holds a special place in my heart.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
  5. RockbadgerX Gems: 2/31

Resourceful

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I'm unfamiliar with it as I used an Apple IIgs. If I wasn't BLOADing a hi-res bitmap in BASIC I would use something like Paintworks Plus.
    I used SHRConvert to import GIFs.

The best place to ask is on the news:comp.sys.apple2 newsgroup. You can use Google Groups to access Usenet if all else fails.

7. RockbadgerX Gems: 2/31

Resourceful

I wish I had gotten a IIGS. What I was actually asking is how do I get it to work in DosBox.

EG: open the Options notepad for Dosbox and type... xxxxx

or

put the folder in My Docs
    boot Dosbox
    type C: \Mydocs\bmp2dhr

or something like that. I can't even get it to load. I'm more arty than techy.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you can't.

From what I can tell from the web page there isn't an executable that runs under PC DOS or MS DOS which is what DOSBox is for.

bmp2dhr appears to be an Apple DOS application, so you'd need to run it on an Apple, or I suppose some emulator like WinApple.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.