1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Will This Be the Year I Like Soccer?

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Apr 2, 2009.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    You made my day by posting the dialogue. I'm going to have try to find that on Youtube.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh come on Harbs... the cricket lasts a full DAY, for 5 days. The periods of play before adverts is just as long as a football half. You know that as well as I do.

PS - The Young Ones is quality. Can't beat British humour.

3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    In soccer there are many stoppages. Only thing is that the clock keeps on running, the players still move a bit and no meeting in the middle of the field. Somehow they know what to do.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    FIIK. I've never watched a sporting event in any nation other than the US.

Well, it's not like if a team scores a touchdown the channel immediately cuts to a commerical. But following the score there's a stoppage in play, and the clock stops running, so it's an appropriate time to show a commerical or two.

5. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

True, in football / soccer play usually starts pretty much straight away again. Often if one team is chasing the game they will grab the ball out the net and run back to their half.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Still PLENTY of ads though.

At least we agree on The Young Ones!

7. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Surely the measurement has to be ads per minute of sport?

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, in that regard, the Super Bowl has the most easily. A typical game lasts about 3 hours. The Super Bowl typically goes on for about 4.5 hours, and most of the additional time is devoted to commericals (although there is a halftime show that is much longer than in a typical football game).

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, this will be the year that everyone in New Zealand likes soccer, because we've just qualified for the World Cup finals next year (for only the second time ever). This is huge. Soccer is guaranteed to be temporarily more popular than rugby here for a while now.

Bring on South Africa 2010!

10. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

But aren't you guys terrible?

:p

11. Harbourboy

Let's just say that we'll be long shots to win the World Cup. But we've got more chance than all the teams that aren't in the final 32! Go the All Whites!

12. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Haha, that is true, you do have a better chance than most of the rest of the world. Is that the nickname for the team? (They wear all white, I am assuming).

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    ... that or there are no Aboriginals on the team, but that would be very un-PC.

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Why would that be very un-PC?

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    If you had to be white (as in your race) to be on the team, and that they named their team the "All Whites" how would that not be un-PC? Or am I missing the point of your question?

16. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Well, *that* is racial discrimination, but I thought that you said that having a team without aboriginals was un-PC. Which would be very un-LC :p

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Point taken - I understated the position. And when I said that the team had no aboriginals I just used them as an example, but any non-white race would apply. So I wasn't clear, and I soft-peddled my response. Bad post on my part all in all.

18. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I was delighted to see New Zealand make the World Cup so I looked up their campaign. They only had to play Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Bahrain to make it! As for spreading the game, we now have 2 Oceania but only 3 Asian! Stupid FIFA :nuts:.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I had no idea Vanuatu had a team, and I was not aware that New Caledonia was even a nation (I'm assuming it's an island nation in the South Pacific... but FIIK for sure).

20. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Both New Zealand and Australia are in the World Cup, congratulations to both! But still, NZ's path to the tournament was a joke: Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Bahrain in the playoff? No offense to All Whites, but South American and European qualification groups are from another planet. It's okay to spread the game and all that, but maybe one team from Oceania just might be enough..?

Probably I'm just bitter. Finland didn't make it, which really wasn't a surprise. If you can't beat Liechtenstein, you don't deserve to play in the World Cup ;) .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.