1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Will Minsc notice?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by kingsgambit, Jan 12, 2002.

1. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

My main character is a F/M and I've dual-classed Imoen at level 7 to a mage so magic is not a big thing. I really wanted to have Minsc in my party though, but after rescuing Dynaheir from the Gnoll Stronghold you can't then have him without her! Noooo....so...what did I do? I dumped them from the party, then my party kinda set on Dynaheir, chopped her into tiny pieces...Reputation not affected, and Minsc happily rejoined the party without a word...I don't think he even realises. The thing is I'm starting to feel guilty....knowing what's coming in BGII *no spoilers here*....I don't know if I can look him in the eye again...it doesn't really make a difference does it? I'm almost at Chapter 6 I think, about to enter baldur's gate (I've been procrastinating...and playing TotSC).

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Shouldn't make any difference. I played through the whole game with Khalid and without Jaheira. I even killed her while she was in my party :D.

3. Sentry Guest

Well I hate to break it to you but you've made the biggest mistake of your life. You've killed Dynaheir!!! You soul is forever doomed. When you finish BG1, a deamon will appear and take your sould away.

OK, seriously. Go to the church and tell the priest all about it... Maybe you'll feel better. And don't forget to give him the BG manual!

Really seriously... BG is just a game so forget about it?:)

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

BG is a rol playing game. YOu can try to forget it but you will not. You have decided to kill Dynaheir and so you have to face the concequences. You can just go on with Minsc like nothing happened but it won't give you a good feeling. Should should deserve an allignment-change to chaotic evil, for only Chaotic Evil would kill someone for they only don't like him/her.... You haven't understand the ideas of a roll-playing-game. You can't have Minsc in you party anymore... or you should restart. Next time use your brains instead of your sword.

5. Sentry Guest

[​IMG] Heheheheheh I don't believe this hahahahahah

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

You don't believe what? The art of RPG's is to be into the story and act and do like you should when you would Really face all these things. Then you wouldn't kill Dynaheir but just let her go.. with Minsc.. or take them both (ranger and witch are hard to seperate)
    It's about PLAYING a role... and trying to be yourself when playing, do what you also should do in real life in such situations.

That would make the game much nicer.... And when you gonna play D&D you will discover that you have to switch from your "Kill anyone you don't need (Quake 3) ideas to role-playing else your aligment would be changed to evil within a day...

7. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Take it easy Headbanger, it's only a computer role playing game, not the Vampire the Masquerade. That is a real roleplaying game, you must roleplay there, otherwise the storyteller kicks you off. But BGI is a different case: it isn't a REAL RPG, "only" a very good CRPG.

8. stormhand Gems: 4/31

Minsc is probably haunting your dreams right now and is giving you such nightmares!

I was faced with a similar dilemma: my character, Silverstar Stormhand (!), is a wizard/evocker. I did not need an extra wizard in my party but needed fighting power. So I did take Dynaheir in my party but, unfortunately ;), on my way out of the Gnolls' stronghold, my party was attacked by a herd of gnolls and Dynaheir was cornered and had to try to fight her way out of this monstrous trap. Sadly :(, she did not prevail. Minsc was very sad :cry: but still accepted to help me on my quest.

But seriously, BG, even if it is an RPG, it is still a game meant to have fun. If you would like to play with certain characters and without others, well you have to try to find a way that will still provide you with a nice gaming experience. And after all, it is better you get rid of someone this way in a computer game than in real life! But if it still gives you nightmare, maybe you should take a step back from your games and don't take it so seriously! :lol:

Enjoy the game and have fun!

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Maybe it's because I try to be into the story. So I try to act normal and not a powergamer-way (kill everything you don't need) for then I can better start playing Quake 3 again. It is just a game but still a role playing game and that means you have to play the role your main char has... and then you don't kill good people when you are good, I would also not enjoy playing that way. When people die in combat, it can happen... so is life... But you don't kill them by yourself then... That's what I wanted to say. And when you are a role-player, you also try to role-play and know it is the best way to play.... I'm a die-hard roleplayer so I also take the concequences of my deeds and don't play such a lousy way... Of course it is a game but you spoil the story and the fun... when you wanna kill... go play Chaotic Evil.. then you play your role well.

10. Sentry Guest

Hmm then I think you should never save or load the game! It is pure cheating!!! It gives you a milion lifes that no one can have.

[This message has been edited by Sentry (edited January 14, 2002).]

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I do reloads when I die or others die... for I often play multiplayer-games and then you have to. In a singleplayer game, it would be cool to do core AD&D rules so not reload when you die... remember that you can Raise Death someone often though... It at least makes you play more careful... just like (I use this again) you would really have to fight.. Then you can also not reload and when you die you cannot do the battle again... it's something that makes it all a bit more realistic.

12. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31

BG is too combat oriented. Sometimes you cannot play your role, because it would mean your death. There are great limits in a computer Rpg, so they aren't "real" Rpgs. You can try roleplay them,no problem, but I stick with the storyteller games if I want more character interaction with real people, and less combat. There is only one CRpg, which is very close to the real Rpgs: Planescape torment.

13. Sentry Guest

I think you should take BG less seriously :)

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

It's not about taking the game serious or not.... It's about what style you play. There are die-hard Roleplayers, True eroes and Powergamers. Heroes just go brave into each fight, RPG-ers play the game like a RPG should be played, with all it's elements... and the kill-freaks kill everything, even NPC's they don't need, and often also use the most powerfull weapons and cheese-tactics.

I play the Role-playing-style and think it's the best way however when others have fun by playing True Heroes or Powergamers I don't have problems when they have fun with that... however Powergamers miss the fun of rel roleplaying... I would advice them all to go play D&D to learn what Role Playing really is.

15. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I think I would go with what Alyr Arkhon said...BG does have a lot of fighting that if someone really never used reload, it would be very hard....and it's easy to make mistakes too...turn a corner and *death*.
    I feel a little guilty about killing Dynaheir...no spoilers but anyone who's played BGII knows what's said at the beginning, so I won't go into that here....but I wanted to import my char into SoA and later ToB so I have a full set of the golden underwear, etc. and a very experienced fighter/mage...better prepared for Neverwinter Nights that way...I just don't think I can look Minsc in the eye without feeling a little guilty that I can never tell him the truth! He loses Dynaheir in BG, and someone else managed to lose Boo on the other notice boards...poor Minsc.
    I personally play these games because of well...everything...the magic, swords, tactics.....how likely is it that any two people have ever finished this game in exactly the same way? The possibilities in games like BG is what makes it great.

16. Fudashi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

** SPOILER **

Alyr Arkhon: Couldn't agree more. For example, to actually role play a chaotic evil character is pointless. The game AUTOMATICALLY makes you a hero, whether you like it or not. Sure you can slaughter some peasants and screw over some nobles on the side to decrease your reputation, but in the end you save the day. Role playing in any crpg with few exceptions, notably Planescape as you said, is unfeasible unless you choose a good alignment. These games simply do not give you enough choices to role play anything but a good character. Sure, you can be evil in the details, but does killing a few peasants and stealing from churches matter when you end up saving the entire region from chaos and war? And really, what kind of person is at once a saviour and a plague to the region?

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Stealing from churches now and then... that seems more like Chaotic Neutral. You can save an entire regions just because you want to save yourself... or with bad intention... kill gods.. so you are the only one left...

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited January 19, 2002).]

18. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31

You're right Headbanger, but you can't do these things in BGI!

19. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

also in BG you can kill Sarevok for he bothers you.... not that it matters that Amn and Baldur's Gate will have war... you only do it to save your ass... Also in BG you can have more then only a good intention.

20. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] I agree Headbanger.

The protagonist isn't out to save the land from the iron shortage or stop the war between the two regions. (though he could be if you "the role-player" choose to play that way) He is just thrown into the middle of things. People want him dead! He doesn't know why so is he just going to hind(hell no) or is he going to find out what's going on? The determinating factor of his actions is you. The role-player, which should play according to the chosen alignment, nuff said.

[This message has been edited by Frog (edited January 20, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.