1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Will BG1 be fun?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Shivi, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think not playing BG1 would be the same as watching/reading The Two Towers and Return of the King, without watching/reading Fellowship of the Ring.

2. maipai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I have played both games and I loved BG1 almost as much as BG2. However, did anyone notice how many of your henchmen were thieves in that game? P.S. You'll love meeting Neeber's brother, Noober in Nashkel. Also, kill off Dynaheir as soon as possible. Have fun.

3. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I bought BG + totsc last week after years of BGII. At first I thought that it was utter crap especially in terms of AI, interface and character level. I gave it a bit of time however (o.k. maybe just 3 days and 3 chapters) and it seemed to grow on me (sort of like playing quake 2 now).

Probably the most vexing feature now is the fact that you can be killed by small groups of kobolds or a couple of slimes and not be able to ressurect your dead party members (bar going to a temple)

Can somebody please tell me what tutu is?

4. Eltharodo Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

TuTu is a total conversion mod for BGII that converts all the original areas and quests from BG1 into the shiner, easier to use BGII engine. Many people love it and others hate it. I personally enjoy the retro feeling one gets from playing BGII, and that converting it in this manner somewhat cheapens the experience. This can be becuase you can pick kits such as <hint hint> the jester, whihc as you can imiagine can be quite useful in BG1. Beware that you need a copy of BGII to play it.

5. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Tutu has also started a revival of BG modding of sorts--the BG2 engine is a lot easier to modify than the original BG1 engine. Currently, there are five mods available that are built specifically for Tutu, and all (save Grey Clan) are Tutu-only:

• BG1 NPC Project
      This mod adds banters and quests to the BG1 NPCs, to bring the level of party interaction to BG2 levels.
    • Grey Clan Episode I
      The only mod on the list that doesn't require Tutu, TGC is a quest mod that adds about two hours of gameplay and ties in with the bandits plaguing the Sword Coast.
    • Tutu Tweak Pack
      A collection of cosmetic tweaks, ease-of-use changes, fixes, and cheats.
    • Mur'Neth NPC
      Just released today, Mur'Neth is an ooze-like shapeshifter.
    • Indira NPC
      Half-elf LG fighter-mage NPC.

6. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The only thing that takes me aback is the slower walking speed. BG1 is great because you start at level 1. Spells are less impressive, maybe, but in BG2 even with greater malison monsters save 75% of the time, ot have magic resistance.
    Yet BG2 is more addictive.

7. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You must play BG1 to meet Khalid. See what Jaheira has made of a once proud man. Now, you know what to say when she starts romancing you. Yes, you guess it: "Shut up, Jaheira!"

8. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    LOL @ Wil

I don't think Khalid studdered (correct spelling?) before he met Jaheira. With such a vixen at your side, everybody would studder! :D

9. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

lol, I think you mean stutter there mate. ;)

10. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Well, I still bear love for this game... The hiking is the bad part of it, but... overall it's fantastic. Different from BG 2, with worse graphics and cut of the classes, but doens't make the game bad. It's great. I have to play it again.

But this hiking is a little bit repulsive...

11. Trouveur Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Honestly with Tutu and BG1 NPC Project I fail to see how someone can prefer BG2, who is more linear, more powergaming, and more combat oriented.
    BG1 gives the feeling that the PC is exploring an entire region, whereas BG2 is more a succession of "greats" quests.

12. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    @Sniper: Yeah, you're right. I did not know the correct spelling of the word stutter...

13. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I am a hardcore fan of BG1 but even I have been pushed to install tutu after playing BG2 for any period of time. The biggest problem in my oppinion is purely the speed. BG1 has a lower movement rate and the mouse scroll speed is apalling, though you can change that. With tutu installed though, I adore it once again, and am currently making myself a very nice sorcerer from scratch :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.