1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wiki your town!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Felinoid, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Funny you should mention Jo. My mates brother actually went out with her for nearly a year. He eventually dumped her for her dippyness!!

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@kuemper:
    The point of this thread is to show people what it's like in the city(ies) where you live(d), not show them your house and where you keep the spare key. :p

@Eldular:
    :lol: So our dear Eldy is "one o' them dang Cooban immygrents"? Hehehe, that's just too funny. :shake:

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Felinoid, unless your town is SO small that Wiki has a photo of your family and a satellite photo of your house.....

....like Google Earth, in which you CAN very clearly see a photo of my house (almost to the extent of seeing the overgrown weeds in my garden), which is VERY cool, but not something we want to get into here.

6. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
  7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Do you know how many loonies read BoM? Plenty and I've pissed off 80% of them. :grin: Wiki doesn't show anything more than the back of any phone book. I've deduced the real names of some SPers and with the city you're living in? Easy as goblin pie to find your address and send a mystery package. Besides, I feel it's TMI for these reasons.

8. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    West Jordan, Utah

So let's see here...chances are, you use several products that come from where I live...
    • World's largest open pit mine - copper
    • Fairchild Semiconductor - We make microchips...if you have a cell phone, you have one or more of our chips... :thumb:
    • Dannon Yogurt Company - err...yogurt...yuck.
    • Balkamp - auto parts...
    • Sysco - food distubution for companies like McDonalds...
    • Army National Guard Base - we get Blackhawk and Appachie hellicopters flying overhead all the time...cool stuff
    • As mentioned abouve, 'Jordan Landing' is one of the largest mixed-use planned developments in the Intermountain West...I used to live there...cool stuff.
    So that's where I live. Yay. :rolling:

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm amazed that my little North Shore City is so much bigger than half the places you guys live in. I thought all your cities would have millions of people, but some of you live in nice small places.

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

200,000+ people is not small. It is medium. Madison has 221,000 people and I can assure you it is far from small.

Most likely case-in-point: How long would it take you to drive from one border of North Shore to the other? I can bet that even at highway speeds it'd be more than half an hour. (And how anyone could call that small, I cannot comprehend. :rolleyes: )

12. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  13. Harbourboy

Well, it is smallish by world standards. It's small compared to Sydney, or Melbourne, or Birmingham, or Seattle, or Buenos Aires, or Miami, or Milan. I just naively assumed that more of you lived in big cities.

14. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
  15. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

You want big cities, Harb? Here is one:

That's it. But as a true citizen of Spandau (don't mention the band :flaming: ), I would never see myself as a Berliner. No one asked us when we were absorbed in 1920... ;)

16. FVMF Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

@ Master of Nuhn: Dordrecht isn't the oldest city of The Netherlands but it is the oldest city of Holland, which is divided in North-Holland and South-Holland. Nijmegen is the oldest city of The Netherlands (where I currently live). Nijmegen celebrated it's 2000th anniversary this year, but Dordrecht received city rights in 1220 making it "only" 785 years old.

From wikipedia:
    Holland is a region in the central-western part of the Netherlands. The area is today divided between two provinces of the Netherlands: North Holland (Noord-Holland) and South Holland (Zuid-Holland) that were created in 1840.

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Small, highly populated countries like England will have small towns, but highly populated. The town I live in is classed ans quite small when compared with others in England, yet has 100,000. The US is a massive place and seems to have THOUSANDS of different towns, all small and spreadout. That's not the case in most countries.

18. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    But that's propaganda, the Nijmegen as we know it now only formed as a village in the 70's, not in the year 5 or 6( as the city itself claims it). There are settlements in the Netherlands older than Nijmegen.

Furthermore, Nijmegen recieved it's city rights in 1247(and Delft in 1246), Dordrecht holds it's city rights 27 years longer than Nijmegen and therefor is, the oldest city in the Netherlands.

BTW, we don't accept Roman rules, so any claims on city rights granted by the Romans are therefor, invalid. ;)

19. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wanted to respond to that, but I see The Delftenaar has done it about 7 hours ago.
    But he's right. And the fact that Dordrecht got cityrights in 1220 doesn't mean it didn't exist before then. You can't call a place a city if there's nobody living there in the first place. ;)

Anyway, Nijmegen is a nice place, as far as I know. Dordrecht is a bit weird. Lots of... ehm 'lowlifes' (klootjesvolk, including me, probably :p ) and few places to go to have a nice night.
    Delft is one of the most interesting cities in the Netherlands to live, i suppose. Lot of history, many students to keep the city alive, etc.

20. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The city of Vaasa.

That's where I'm finishing my studies at the moment and the pictures at Wikipedia seem to be relatively recent (from previous autumn, I would guess). Looking at that picture about the Statue of Liberty, you can see our local McDonald's peeking just behind it and their rival's building just at the right edge (Hesburger, which I prefer over McDonald's chemical burgers). The statue is actually at the edge of the central market where, about this time, people gather to bask in sun and buy stuff from different open-market vendors.

Palosaari, where I live, is about 1 km off from the market. Still a long distance to go at winter when you are freezing your ass off... At the bottom of the page is an (old) picture of my university's science library and just at the right side, outside the pic, should be the main building of the university itself. At the left would be "Fabriikki" , where rest of the teaching is done, and Technobotnia, our lab. That's a pretty bad picture, now that I think of it...

**EDIT**

Actually took some time to write down stuff under the "University City" -paragraph.

[ June 10, 2006, 18:23: Message edited by: Wordplay ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.