1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why the name?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Rolsuk Fryulee, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, my name: Tarsakh, in Faerun literally means "Of the Storms"

2. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

My name is from my head. It's just ment to be a person riding a dragong flying really high or something like that. But I joined for the same resion as nobleman :roll:

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Faragon was the name of my first Diablo Warrior. Ever since, this has been the name I have used online.

4. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

My name has more to do with me than with role-playing. For whatever reason, no matter what I do, no matter where I go, I've always felt that something is... missing. I've spent most of my life that I can remember seeking whatever it is that's missing. I don't know if it's the coolest material possession ever, or a person, or whatever, I just know that I don't have it.

Slightly off topic, have you ever noticed that dwarves ALWAYS have last names like Stormhammer or Orcsbane? I mean, really. Even the ancient sega fighting game Golden Axe's dwarf was named Gilius Thunderhead.

5. Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias Banned

[​IMG] My name came from my monk's name on BG2. I wanted to do something like Dak'kon, so I did this instead. Also, you can find an anagram server @ rd.com. Look for it.

6. Vince Clortho Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I originally used this name for my Pilot in X-Wing...(just Clortho, since there was a character limit, if memory serves: clorhto.plt) but it comes from Ghostbusters. Vince Clortho is the name that Rick Moranis' character gives after he is possessed: Vince Clortho, The Keymaster of Ghoser. Ghoser the Ghoserian, Ghoser the Destructor, etc. "I am the Gatekeeper: are you the Keymaster?"
    :D

7. MagnusMagus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

MagnusMagus is very bad latin for "Master of Magic" :)
    Other names i`ve been known to use across the net:
    Orions_Stardom - My wierd sense of er.. "humour" mixing with the constilation Orion.
    MagusWizardo - Roughly- *very* roughly - Master of Wizards.
    Snicker - *snicker, snicker*
    SookmaCook - You don`t wanna know. Trust me on that.
    Lennon - My real name (I was named after some guy called John :) ).
    Don`tAsk - well, don`t :p
    Firkraag - fairly obvious, unless you haven`t played the greatest game of all time. :)
    Me - Hi, i`m Me. :)

8. Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias Banned

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Hubby used to race RC cars, and I started to out of boredom. My car was in the class called "rally car" - miniature, RC-versions of the lunatics you see on Speedvision. I was the only woman racing that class and I was pregnant at the time, so my handle became rallymama and I use it everywhere online now. It's very easy to type! ;)

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

my new nick i just came up with when i started a new character to Seiken Detentsu 3e ie Secret of Mana 2... Ivanji, son of Loki, mercenary of Forcena... it klings good doesn`t it... i was AssWooper the ÜberSpammer

[ November 24, 2002, 05:43: Message edited by: Ivanji, son of Loki ]

11. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

MagnusMagus, that is truly bad latin. FYI, 'magnus' means 'big' or 'great.' And while your word order isn't incorrect per se, it would be better as MagusMagnus.

I don't know if 'magus' is magic or not (seems rather likely), but at best your nick means Great Magic. It's not '___ of Magic' because it would need to be in the genitive form to imply the 'of,' while magnus is the nominative form.

[EDIT: Thanks Uytuun.]

[ November 25, 2002, 20:41: Message edited by: The Deviant Mage ]

12. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Actually 'magus' means wizard (although it can also mean magical). So Magus Magnus would be great wizard.

Master of magic would be 'Magiae Dominus/Dominator'.

EDIT[no problem The Deviant Mage] ;)

[ November 27, 2002, 20:19: Message edited by: Uytuun ]

13. Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias Banned

Thorin is one of the dwarves, FYI.

@ Intentioner: Fixed the link: here
    Just did 'Sorcerers' on the site and it said "scores err"
    Sorcerers scores! Err...

[ December 13, 2002, 23:41: Message edited by: Tarol'azh ]

14. Mortensen Banned

My name is from Viggo Mortensen , who plays Aragorn in Lord of the Rings: The fellowship of the Ring :hahaerr:

15. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

My name is from Kam Solusar, one of Luke Skywalker's Jedi who teaches at his Academy. I really liked the character and thought it was a neat name. I'm also using it for my PnP character, a Fey'ri Fighter/Wizard/Bladesinger. On a kind of side note, I think Star Wars novels are a great source of character names.

16. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Morgoth = HOG MORT

Dead pig??

17. Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias Banned

@ Morgoth: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Also, I don't know if I should post this, but some of the more interesting anagrams for 'Taluntain' are:
    • Titan ulna
    • Nail taunt
    • Natal unit
    • Annual tit
    • A latin nut (kind of an oxymoron, seeing as he hasn't posted on the Latin for All Occasions thread...
    • Anal in tut
    Sorry if they're really offensive, but they're anagrams. I can't do anything about it.
    "All the life's wisdom can be found in anagrams. Anagrams never lie."

[ December 17, 2002, 23:33: Message edited by: Tarol'azh ]

18. Veralius Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Veralius = USA Liver

What the hell??

[ December 17, 2002, 23:38: Message edited by: Veralius ]

19. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Sniper, there is no skill in sniping @ CS, and on topic, I'm sure I relied about the name in another thread just the same as this one. Go dig it up if you're really interested :) .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.