1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why the name?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Rolsuk Fryulee, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Well...what can I say? I'm a Gopher!
    :D

Hmmm.. I can't really remember where it was from, but I seem to remember a friend calling me a Gopher because I was continously doing work for this site... (Spell/Item tutorials, portraits) and So i changed the name from my previous incarnation...*shudder*

Gopher stuck, and several variations have appeared, including Goph, Gophic, Gopherboy, Gophie, Goffo etc etc.

:)

2. Aziraphale Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Aziraphale:
    From terry Pratchett's Good Omens.
    The angel of the Eastern gate (I just like the big firey sword)...(mmmmm). In his spare time he owns a book shop, not that he sells the books. Over all a nice character with a cool name :)
    The gender is slightly mixed up so I've altered it for the chat, Azir :)

Edit: I am curious to know the origin of Taluntain :hmm:

[ November 08, 2002, 21:43: Message edited by: Aziraphale ]

3. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Just the initials of one of my favourite bands, Blue Oyster Cult.

Atreides, the original name "Atreides" comes from the poems of Homer and it means "The son of Atreas" in ancient greek.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There have been so many threads like this (though not lately), that I don't bother explaining any more. They should still be around in Whatnots, deep down. If you feel like digging, I'm sure you can find them. I explained the name in 3 or 4 of them.

5. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Blog: From a NPC in Ultima Underwold 2, which was by far my favorite RPG before the turn of the century. More specifically, he's a naive, yet fiercely loyal troll.

The 'log' part reflects my interest in math too, but it's just a coincidence that I've noticed.

6. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    My nick doesn't really have a history.
    It's the name of the character I played BGI->ToB with. Feel free to make up a meaning for it, all suggestions are welcome. :roll:

7. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Scarampella is the name of a late 19th century, Italian violin maker. I was playing on one at the time and rather liked the sound of it...

8. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Tal you spent as much time in explaining that you didn't care to explain, as you would have spent time actually explaining you elvish origin. :p

Nobleman. Hmmm. Just caught it on the fly. I was only gonna leech this place of portraits and ask a question... I thought... *lol*

Off toppic:
    The sentence that came out of a anagram-software when I typed in Intentioner of the damned.
    "Mad Den of the Teen Riot Inn..." Teens are taking over! led by the Intentioner of the Damned. :shake:

[ November 11, 2002, 01:34: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

As I said in the other topic:

There used to be an old D&D board game that was called Dungeon. Whenever my father bought it for the family as a Christmas present long ago, I really got into it, and that served as the gateway to the PnP, then to CRPG. Rastor was the name of one of the Wizard characters in that, who I always played.

10. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

As I'm sure you can all imagine, Faerus Stoneslammer is the name of the dwarf character that I use in CRPG's.
    I didn't put much thought into my name when I came to the boards, because I hadn't expected to actually come back... :o

PS-The name I usually use on the internet, in chatrooms and on Yahoo games, is Bloodied Soldier (bloodiedsoldier)...

11. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] All yours are cool and neat, but none has a stupider and weirder origin than mine.

MANY years ago, I borrowed Mario RPG (yes, on Supernintendo) from my friend when it had come out and wanted to make a file. Since I was only going to have it for a week, I knew the name didn’t need to be serious. I was going to type in “Farthead”, but for some reason, the program messed up and deleted the “e” and “d”, leaving “Fartha” behind. That’s cool I thought. So I name myself “Fartha” on places where I need to be identified on the ‘Net afterwards. That is that. But wait, now where did “Farthy” come from? Well, I actually made the Fartha account first on Boards O’ Magick, but I lost the password for that and I had to think of another name. Coincidentally, Farthy is also the name of a noble in Shadows of Amn attending Lord d’Arnisse’s funeral. So Farthy is actually is corruption of Farthead, hence my listed location in my profile.

Beat that for a name!

12. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I wish I knew where I got my name! About 4 years ago I found my old D&D stuff, from when I was a kid. I still had my paladin "Sorvo the Slayer" I was so excited for awhile I actually rollplayed with myself! I still get a smile thinking about redoing "The Keep on the Borderlands" module :) Then I got a computer and came across BG by accident one day in a game store, found this site in search of answers and the rest is history ;) But I still don't know where the HELL I got the name from :flaming:

13. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

mine started out as a (huge) typo of my name in real life (gerard) and the -on bit was attached to make it a male name. I used it first for my bg1 character and ever since it has followed me around

14. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Damnit Nobleman, you found me out. Now i have to go think up some other Intentionable plan.

(BTW, where can i find such an anagram maker thingy??)

[ November 12, 2002, 13:57: Message edited by: Intentioner of the Damned ]

15. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

My name came from the Dragonlance books, the name of a Sivak draconian.

16. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Sniper, i got it off playing Counter Strike when i, low and behold was mainly a sharp shooter...

17. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

i got mine when i was tired and a friend sat behind me and said that i was an Überspammer... and i have heard the name AssWooper somewhere else too...

See Ya

18. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

First thing that came to my mind... :rolleyes:

19. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

My nick come from the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy books. A Nutrimat is a vending machine that does a complete analysis of your tast buds and digestive system, and even sends tiny experimental signals to your brain to see what would go down well. However, no one is sure why it does this because it inevitably produces a brown liquid that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

This appealed to me for some reason, so it has become a standard nick. Plus, my real name is Matt, so it fit.

20. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

addon to my last post...

it is actually spelled 4$$W00P3R the ÜberSpammer but since 1337 spelling is forbidden with death punishment i dont use i here...

@Tal - can you make an exception this time... i have to explain...

See Ya

[ November 14, 2002, 13:11: Message edited by: AssWooper the ÜberSpammer ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.