1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

why sylvus? anf the original question...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by herf, Dec 2, 2000.

1. herf Guest

[​IMG] sylvus why did you go and say that? i was asking a serious question, ah well, here it is again-

ok people listen up, i'm going on a big hunt and i was wondering what the best party in the game is?
    oh, and taluntain, if anyone even says anything bad about Khalid then i request that you lock this topic, also i would like to hear what ur best party is?
    i would like my party to have the best of all worlds, eg a mage, a fighter, a thief with good skills early on and late in the game, a druid/cleric, and whatever else you would like to suggest.

2. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well, in your post you ask Sorcerer to lock the topic if anyone says anything bad about that crap, coward of a warrior named Khalid that can't fight for anything, even his own fears. Khalid is just horrid as a member of the party and should rightfully be put to rest by running a sword through his yellow-belly and twisting it until blood spats from his very mouth!

I hope it's not locked again because someone bad mouthed Khalid!

Syl...

3. herf Guest

[​IMG] you are being reallt nasty, all i wanted was peoples opinion on what was the best party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh, heh, heh! C'mon herf, a question about what is the best party is also a question about who would NOT make a good addition to a party. Sylvus has a valid point about Khalid, because he really is a coward and would bolt for the door at the first sign of pain. I kept him because I found his antics amusing, but I had to keep him from being directly attacked in any serious battle, which of course greatly detracts from his value as a fighter.

5. herf Guest

[​IMG] hello, can we get back to wha would be a good party and not a bad one, duh.

6. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well i would have myself as a Cleric so my party would consist of:

Cleric (me)
    Imoen (thief)
    Dyhnaier (invoker)
    Minsc (ranger)
    Ajantis (fighter)
    Kagain (Fighter dwarf) replaced later by Yeslick (Cleric Dwarf)

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I unlocked the original topic.
    And no matter how whiny Khalid is, he makes an awesome fighter with the right equipment. I had him in my party the whole game.

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31

The first time i completed BG he was in me group as well...had around 75hp

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh, heh... I think the "right equipment" for Khalid would be a ranged weapon so he could stay far away from the heart of the fighting...

"Better part of valor! Better part of valor!"
    I can't remember how many times I heard that as I saw Khalid head for the nearest exit! :)

My party at first was:
    Blackthorne (Ranger)
    Khalid
    Jaheira
    Branwen
    Imoen
    Xan

After I dualled Imoen to a mage (I didn't like Xan's lack of area-effect spells after a while) it was:
    Blackthorne
    Coran
    Khalid
    Jaheira
    Branwen
    Imoen

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited December 03, 2000).]

10. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Not sure what some folks problem with Khalid is. Yeah, he wasn't great early in the game, but later, he was great. He has the best HP of any NPC(except the bereghost dwarf maybe), and at the end, he kicked a lot of @$$.(wait, that doesn't look like it's supposed to?!). Best good aligned fighter in the game. Just because he was a wuss is no reason to bash him. I wish I had invested time in Jahiera instead of letting her go fight those Balisks alone with no armor or weapons. With the right stuff, I think she could have been a really good character. I have a character molded after her in BG2 and she rocks.

11. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Incidently, if you ask people to not mention Khalid, then it's like a lightning rod for posts about him. Do a post without mentioning him and you wont have as meny problems.

12. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Problem with Xan is that he's a weakling like that Xzar bloke...

I found Jahiera really annoying! It just took ages for her to progress and even when i'm lvl 8 she's still lvl 5 or 6!

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] Ahhh... But Xan had that cool Moonblade and Mirror Image to keep himself safe :)

14. Sniper Gems: 28/31

True i guess...anyone reckon Xzar is a poof? As for Xan, he's bloody obessed with dying!

15. Mephis na Mhoram Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Here is my party the whole game:

Mephis (me, fighter)
    Iomen
    Khalid
    Jaheira
    Dyhnaier
    Minsc ( and Boo )
    Not much, but at the end, invinicible ( me and Iomen where carring bows with acid arrows so enemy mages and wizards could not even cast one single spell)

16. damnedifiknow Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Khalid is a whiney little punk but he's a pure fighter so you can actually get his archery up to a dangerous level, he's great as an archerer. I find his counter-part more annoying so i get her killed by flesh golems early on and pick up the ranger. Then i know Minsc is funny but he couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag, i have to res his dumb ass all the time, oh and i love the beserk mode, he turns around and attacks me, next thing you know he's pushin' up daisies. But i like Dynhaer or however you spell it, she's cool. So normally Minsc eats the it and i have the stoned-cleric join in the group to be the healer. My char being the fighter/theif so me and Imoen dual back stab the baddies while using storm giant potions...woohoo!! (is it just me or does anyone else get the warm fuzzy feeling when you back stab someone and watch their bodies explode?)

17. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Hmm...interesting...I have a mage - majikus...level 7 (only 1000 off lvl 8 but I got capped!) And i reckon he could take out your party with some success...Just cast 2 skull traps with a spiders web ahead of your party...then as you approach, i cast invisibility on myself then as you get pummeled by the skull trap and remain immobile, i cast a single fireball followed by those magic missiles that shoot 4 missiles at a time killing you all individually...yep that should sought you lot...my mage will have AC of 3 with 40hp...

18. damnedifiknow Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] unless of course i just quaff a magic blocking potion which i always keep several of in my quick items...=)

always will be maybes that's why NWN will rock with good 'ol PVP action.

but it's alot like real encounters, somedays you are totally 'on' and do everything right and other days your account balance with Lady Luck is in the negative and she also charged you a late fee on top of it.

19. Sniper Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] I know what you mean...somedays you kill a monster the right way...others they get you hard! But its as you say...life.

20. Azimov Gems: 1/31

Hi!
    I get a great feeling when watching someone explode after I have just backstabbed them with my kick ass longsword +2! Then (If they ain't dead) a mirror immage an a fireball spell (or wand, or potion etc :). If anyone's left, then Khalid (Who is not a wuss when he has a -6 AC and a heavy crossbow of accuracy, kitted out with bolts of polymorphing) will just whoop them. My party looks like this

Khalid
    Jaheira
    Me (Mage/Theif)
    Imoen
    Xan
    Kivan

it might be a basic party... but... weeel I wouldn't want anyone else in a tough fight!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.