1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why is this forum still here?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Marceror, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It does not matter how you do it, as long as it has a connection to the city of baldurs gate. The title says baldurs gate not<charname> the characters are nice, very nice but so many things happen i a city, so why not something else.

OInce thay made tha characters we still know today, so it can be done before. no writer is going to please all of us with a sequel or prequel.

why not a story about Balduran herself, the founding of the city. What about just before the time of troubles, or during the time of troubles. It is wise not to continue with viconia, jaheira and the rest.

(yes I confess I never played the dynamic space duo past Irenicus lair and I like Nalia)(sob)

2. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Balduran depicted as male?

This would be wise, IMO. It makes little sense to flog a dead horse, no matter how interesting and/or dynamic (and occasionally annoying) many of the characters were. If BG3 wants to be a brilliant game, then it'll need it's own remarkable characters/plot, rather than trying to ride the BG name to fame, so to speak. A new engine, styled after BG in the top-down sense, would be nice, although the environments could stand to be a little more interactive. BG3 wouldn't need to re-invent the wheel, but I definitely approve of it borrowing the ideas that made the original BG's so cherishable. However, I would hate for this game to turn in to a gimmick geared towards inducing nostalgia in return for the money and hope of BG fans everywhere. No, for this game to work, it'll need one thing: a clever mixture of both innovation and 'selective' borrowing from its predecessors.

3. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

yes that is very true. lots of great and new stuff, with some of the old.

for in some people's minds there are certain things that are "very BG" certain NPCs like Minsc, he has been there since the beginning, i know some people dont like him and never use him at all, but to others it jsut wouldnt be BG without him.

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Call it Baldur's Gate if its set in or centered around Baldur's Gate (as in the city) but the Bhaal saga is done. Finished. Over. Concluded. You could have it set after the events of the Bhaal Saga with some of the old NPCs making a comeback as NON PLAYABLE characters, say questgivers and such and assuming that <Charname> didn't take Godhood since according to WotC the events in Baldur's Gate didn't take place according to Forgotten Realms lore, or at least the major events such as killing Drizzt, exterminating the Shadow Thieves of Amn, or the revival/creaton of a new god (if you did that).

It would have to assume <charname> had no romantic interactions with anyone, was a certain gender (up to whoever writes it to decide), stopped Sarevok in BG I, killed Irenecus in BG II and killed Sharencal (sp?) in BG II: ToB then turned down godhood. For that reason I imagine <Charname> would have to have been a good alignment and would have had a positive effect on all his companions.

Keldorn can NOT make a comeback, he's dead. Although maybe his daughters could, for example.

Set it in the same area as the Bhaal Saga with characters/references to the Bhaal Saga but have a new storyline/plot/villian and the like.

5. Kara Ay Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

IMO,if you are battling Cyric then it's possible for you to be a high level char...It would be very interesting to have battles against gods...

6. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    It would be an act of suicide! No normal mortal would stand a chance againced a god (Unless you used Cyric's old blade againced him [also imposable])

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Actually the player never battled Cyric, just some of his minions in a 'test'. Not to mention the PC would have to battle a god for their 'portfolio', so the only things the PC could get from Cyric would be murder, madness and... I forget, something nasty anyway. I don't understand why a good PC would be motivated to become an evil god.

Not to mention WotC would never approve.

8. Elfen Lied

more than likely been said but what are peoples thoughs on BG3 being a prequel to BG?

i personally dont like it all that much when prequels to games (and some movies) have better items/classes and the like than the original/s, and doesnt really offer any explaination for why the arent in the original. but that doesnt mean in any way i wont play or watch them, its just how i feel is all.

(take the star wars movies, episodes 1 - 3 has way better droids and ships than episodes 4 - 6, but it kinda has an explanation or whatever, the Empire possibly may have destoryed all or most of the reminents of the old republic, hence why they arent in the earlier movies.)

would a game set say during the Time of Troubles be too weird for some people?, or a game where you play during the time of Balduran, or prehaps a little while after (or even before)

im not to sure another BG game that is part of the BG1 and BG2 saga will happen but i think another BG game in say the Dark Alliance saga or prehaps some other spin off may happen, i havent play any of the Dark alliance games yet so i dont know how the end.

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Icewind Dales are 'prequels' to Baldur's Gate but they take place in a completely different part of the world and have no reference to the time of troubles and/or the events surrounding the Bhaal Saga.

I would rather see an Eberron D&D game. I've been reading the books and I'm starting to like the world alot.

10. Elfen Lied

i know that, IWD is what 32 years or so before Drizzt was born or whatever which is why i suggested something a little closer to the BG1 and BG2 timeline.

11. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I am sick and tired of Bhaal. Just start at level one, different elven priestesses, and no space hamsters. Surely more than Bhaal has happened in Baldurs gate.

12. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

If BG3 is a prequel to BG, then I've already played BG3! :D -joke

Anyways, I'm really hoping this wouldn't be the case (BG3 being a prequel, that is). I kinda hope it would somehow continue the saga. I dig the story and all. The BG series "story" was what made me like CRPGs in the first place. It was plotted in a way that the story was not that linear... twists, surprises. A prequel would be a big disappointment for me, that's for sure.

And about BG3 being "before the time of troubles", well, I don't know. If it were T.V., BG from start to BG-ToB would be a series and BG3 would be a movie. So why call it BG3 if that's the case?

13. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Probably because whoever would be producing the next BG would want the brand name attached. Fans of the series would be more likely to buy BG3 than the next Dark Alliance for PC, even if they were the same game. It all goes down to marketing.

14. Loncaros Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

IWD was horribly disappointing plotwise with all 6 characters being "you".

Fortunately in Neverwinter the road of a single player character with NPCs joining him was the path chosen and I hope future games will not stray from that path. If I want hacknslay with zero interparty interaction, I'll play an MMORPG, thanks. Speaking of which, DDO is already there and should be reason enough not to make BG3 an MMORPG.

As for BG3, I hope they make it. The epilogue in TOB however exhausts any chance of seeing the old NPCs we hold dear so much ever again - a shame especially regarding Edwin, Neverwinter failed to produce even one mage character coming close to him at all.

15. Merlanni

Media:
    For now, the Broken Hourglas seems to be our last change to revitalize this type of game.

16. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

You need 6 characters because the IWD series was more battle oriented, not like the BG series. I can't recall a battle with tons of orcs, orc shamans, orc fire starters, runners, worgs, worg riders, or yuan-ti in BG (except maybe the kobold-spawning Firewine ruins... and the place with a lot of xvarts... weak xvarts). No banters, blah, blah, blah. It makes a good strategy game though, what with different choices.

17. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I enjoyed IWD and creating my own characters. You can have themed parties and play as you wish. IWD was not a BG clone and never pretended to be so.

18. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31

Veteran

IWD was actually more of a filler to keep BG fans on their toes as they waited for BGII to come out. Hat's off to Black Isle for customer support, eh?

@Nakia:
    I agree. The story was mostly there merely to keep the action rolling; it really couldn't compare to any one of the other IE games. However, there was more strategy involved, and the hack'n'slash gameplay definitely made for a welcome relief for those lying in anticipation of BGII. And I can safely say that, for me, it served its purpose.

19. Merlanni

Media:
    but the severed hand, just wonderful. It stil had story

20. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Wrong. Xan's cousin is in the game. First in Easthaven where he hang out in the Inn, and then his corpse and diary can be found in Dragon's Eye, explaining how he is Xan's cousin.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.