1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why is this forum still here?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Marceror, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I, for one, would be disapointed beyond words if--when BG3 is finally developed--it ends up as an MMORPG. The Baldur's Gate series represents everything that is good about single player CRPGs. Let it ever remain so!!!

2. Drizzt the Dumb Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I would be really sad If they actually don't make BG3. Torm please make it possible even if just in europe.

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, as long as it's not a console-only thing like the Dark Alliance series, I'll probably give it a chance.

4. Mistyca Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

A new BG game...BG3...a dream...
    But i really think someday they will make it.
    I think there's the opportunity to explain how the hero, maybe, lost his powers and tries to take them back....or something else.
    But i really hope they make it a single player game and with the Infinity Engine, not something like NWN.
    I want a game that plays and feels like BG1 and 2....that's really a dream of mine... :)

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

damn straight.

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Personally, I think that the story of the PC from BG 1 and 2 has been thoroughly concluded from a gaming standpoint. To me, an "oh no, the new Lord of Murder" has lost his powers" concept would be a serious "jump the shark" idea.

I could easily see a story that takes place prior to the events of the previous BG games, or something that takes place later. Perhaps BG3 focuses the child that the Bhaalspawn had with Aerie. The Bhaalspawn from the previous games could potentially have some "cosmic" influence over the life of his child. Or if we want to remove this from the original story a bit further, perhaps BG3 occurs several generations later.

In my opinion, the story is actually less important than staying true to the spirit of the original BG games. Sure, some nostaglic references to the events of the original games are sure to be popular, but some of the things that would need to be included to keep it "Baldur's Gate," are as follows:

-A story that takes place in the same general areas as the first game.
    -A game that allows for a party of diverse companions, each with their own rich history, but fully equipable and controllable in combat (unless you're asking them to do something they are morally opposed to - e.g. asking Keldorn to kill Drizzt).
    -A game with a deep and intricate plot, open ended storyline, and that is filled with unexpected twists and surprises. The story HAS to be bloody excellent.
    -A top down, 3rd person viewpoint of the game.
    -A game that is at least as much story based as it is combat based (i.e. not just a hack and slashfest)

Those are just a few comments off the top of my head. A game that veered from any of those would not like be worthy of the title Baldur's Gate 3, and I'm sure this list could be expanded quite a bit.

Another note, BG3 should not be about implementing the most cutting edge graphics to date. I would have no problem with stellar graphics, but if they come at the cost of story, building rich and memorables characters, then the priorities are wrong. To this day I am completely satisfied with BGs 2 Dimensional maps. It's not because I don't realize how far graphics technology has come. Rather, it's because I'm pulled in by the "full package" BG offers. I've gotten bored with plenty of beautiful, graphically stunning games before completing them only to load up a BG type game instead--even though I've completed many of these games numerous times.

I think I speak for the majority of BG fans when I say we want BG3 to embody what was great about BG1 and BG2 -- and bad ass graphics really aren't what this love affair is about.

If whoever develops BG3 hopes to score big and eventually do BG4 -- they ought to pay heed to posts such as this.

7. Tag the Nosepiercer Gems: 1/31

When they do end up making a Baldur's Gate 3 I doubt it will be the same character, since there were several endings to Throne of Bhaal and two of those involved turning into some type of God... It would probably be a different person around the same area, preferably actually IN Baldur's Gate(like the name implies...) Hell, if they really wanted to they could make it like a prequel and let you play one of the Gods during the Time of Troubles, either one of the normal Gods or make up your own God. I dunno, I just doubt the new game would have anything to do with the previous two. It'd be sorta like dragging the storyline to the point of utter boredom...

Nonetheless, they're gonna make a Baldur's Gate III. At least, someone will.

8. Oldwolf58 Gems: 1/31

________________________________________________________________________________________
    Personally, I think that the story of the PC from BG 1 and 2 has been thoroughly concluded from a gaming standpoint. To me, an "oh no, the new Lord of Murder" has lost his powers" concept would be a serious "jump the shark" idea.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________
    Actually they left the end open you had two choices become the lord of Murder or not if not you could return to the sword coast and go adventuring on a series of subplot quests with a story line along the lines of your romance intrest being taken captive by old enemies or something of that nature. If you choose to become the lord of Murder then you could go off on a planescape torment type game with the solar to fight Cyric and his minions who has taken your title. So I don't really think they've finished the story line for BG with this character and to tell the truth I was somewhat disappointed that you couldn't continue on with the game after you made the choice. Just my two cents worth but I'd love to see a BG III that continues where TOB left off :)

9. Marceror

Media:
    Well, I didn't say that the story was over. Just that I felt it was over from a "gaming standpoint."

If BG3 were to start you off as a god, or perhaps the most powerful demi-god walking the face of faerun (depending on how you ended BG2 TOB), you really start running into some balance issues right away.

You finished BG2 TOB anywhere between level 30 - 40, and only became more powerful from there. From a gaming standpoint, there just really isn't anywhere you need to go from there. The power levels were already getting silly toward the end of TOB, and the thought of starting a game from there, and only increasing in power... well, all I can say is yikes.

From a storyline/creative standpoint, there are tons of possibilities, I agree. Perhaps a great opportunity for a novel. But I think the BG3 CRPG would makes a lot more sense focusing on someone who is at a much earlier stage in their journey.

10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I agree, for me low level characters are nice to play. I think that we level to quickly in games anyway.

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yes. BG3 is being double packaged with Duke Nukem Forever. :p :lol:

Occasionally, grassroots nibbling gets the attention of the big dogs.

12. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The BG spirit isn't just about playability, but RE-playability. Always new things to be found, a different combination of NPCs to play with quirky banters (Albeit a little limited in BG1) to experience. Any sequel would have to have equally diverse range of side-quests and NPCs to experience (With none of these randomly generated items like in NWN).

13. Tiana Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I definitely agree with Marceror about the graphics. I showed BGI to a friend the other day and they wouldn't believe me when I told them how old the game is. I feel like the graphics style and the engine are very timeless. So yeah, a MMORPG would be a huge disappointment, and I feel like story development is much more important than a new system or graphics.

And speaking of story, I think it would be awesome if you got to be Imoen's grandchild or something similar. Those kinds of parallels between Imoen and Gorion and BGIII and the BG trilogy in general would be very cool.

14. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Then why not start at level 1?...
    CHARNAME chooses godhood... becomes something Sarevok himself had ever dreamed of... to be the Lord of Murder Himself... CHARNAME becomes evil because of Bhaal's blood... CHARNAME wreaks havoc... sending forth hellish minions upon Faerun... meanwhile somewhere in the swordcoast, CHARNAME's wife (BG2 romance) is dying from old age while CHARNAME and CHARNAME's wife's (BG2 romance) seed (main char) seeks help for his/her dying mother... and the adventure begins... you go against the forces of evil again... but this time... you get to face Bhaal Himself (CHARNAME).

-if you choose an evil alignment, your mother will be Viconia
    -if you choose a neutral alignment, your mother will be Jaheira
    -if you choose a good alignment, your mother will be Imoen

15. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Or Aerie, if you're less interested in incest

16. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

What happens if <CHARNAME> was FEMALE? :confused:

17. drowling Gems: 4/31

Hmm, seems like this game is going to be relased only if someone on this forum actually writes one.

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, doh; your father is either Anomen, Minsc, or his hamster. One of the three anyway, since the protagonist had a concurrent romances -patch installed and took them with her to the planes. Now the new space-hampsters have reached maturity and need to leave the planes to find their own adventures.

[ December 15, 2006, 18:21: Message edited by: Wordplay ]

19. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31

Harhar... Well, every story starts somewhere, so it's just like saying "What if Sarevok was good?". Only the writer knows. So yeah, it's possible that the Bhaal incarnate is female. It would be interesting if it were like Golden Sun where you transfer data from GS1 to GS2 so when you play BG3, and you've finished ToB, there would be an option for you to transfer data from your ToB game and picks up info about your previous character, building the story from there.

I agree about Aerie for good alignment though, since Imoen somewhat has Bhaal blood on her, it would make you half siblings, making the main char for BG3 a retard. I just forgot about Aerie.

20. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

this has probably been said before, but BG3 could be the prequel to BG1, the end of BG2 doesnt seem to leave much of an opening for a sequel, well i suppose it does im probably just not thinking hard enough on it.

i suppose your char in BG3 could be Aerie's and <CHARNAME>'s child or possibly a descendant of said child, how strong is the tainted of Bhaal in <CHARNAME>, would it be passed on to the next generation? It not the greatest of storylines but plausible. but this storyline is kinda sad to people who had female characters in Baldur's Gate, so i dont think it would be the storyline they would use.

also i dont think it would be BG without Minsc and Boo, so they would have to be in it.

i dont know i was just rambling off ideas

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.