1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why is IWD2 so underrated?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Cecily Griselda, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Eneres Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It seems to me most of the negatives for people are actually positives and make IWD2 the best Infinity Engine game and possibly my favorite of all time.

The thing is, games like BG and NWN indeed are more story heavy and personal, and don't get me wrong I love those games, but to me the "chosen one" trope can never truly immerse me in a game. And the unique companions/conversations are very hit and miss.

In my opinion the truest form of roleplaying is when I can create and use my own characters. This is why I love the IWD games so much!

Not only that, but the linearity of IWD2 is to me one of the key things, that make it so good. The story is tightly structured and very well paced. I love games in which every zone feels like a handcrafted set piece, that naturally proceeds from one into another and you know most of the stuff needed to complete the quests is nearby.

Compare that to Pillars of Eternity where the game gets so spread out and the side quests are so many, that you get quests you're unable to complete until you progress other quests and the main story gets split into 3 completely different locations.

It's just an immersion killer and sadly most RPGs do this.

Also am I the only one who is completely fascinated by the harsh beauty and mystery of Icewind Dale? I just can't get enough of this place, if any fictional location has my heart, it's this! That is also complemented by the fact both game soundtracks are masterpieces!

So yeah I like everything about this game and I'm hurt it's not getting remade, nor are we going to see another like it. Maaan IWD3 with player created parties is the stuff of dreams! :)

Mati, Riiken, coineineagh and 2 others like this.
  2. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

is it a definite that it's not getting a remake? if so, that is disappointing. IWD EE is a lot of fun with all the extra stuff, and IWD2 could definitely do with some patching up.

3. Eneres Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I think it has something to do with the fact it uses the 3E ruleset which makes it's code different from all the other games they did so far, so more work. It sucks because it's a great ruleset.

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, that seems to be the case according to an interview with Trent Oster:

original writeup can be found here : http://www.rpgamer.com/games/icewind/icewindee/icewindeeint.html

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Good question. IWD2 was a great game. It probably wasn't as ambitious and publicized as the BG line, sort of like French ale, which can be totally awesome (e.g. better than English, Belgian or Czech), has to give way to French wine in terms of marketing.

You can't even say it wasn't epic. It just wasn't publicized. It had a low profile. It had the public image of a by-blow in between BGs and NWNs, sort of like a bastard child.

For the record, IWD1 probably was better. But this is a slightly unfair comparison since 1 has the benefit of novelty that a sequel can't have.

Mati likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.