1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why does my Necro do more dmg than my Barbarian?

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by Eyebreaker7, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    They are both using the same exact weapon.

Also how do you tell what class attacks better? Or do they all do the same just going by AR? Meaning if I got my Necro's AR up to 996 (not sure how) would he be just as good as my Barbarian?

Kol = Necromancer

AR 778
    Dmg 110-133

str 104*
    dex 80*

Minsc = Barbarian
    AR 996
    dmg 105-132

str 115*
    dex 65*

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    A necromancer is never going to be a better melee class then a barbarian, simply because they lack any kind of melee attack skills.
    I'm going to hazard a guess and say your necro is probably equiped with some items that add a few points of damage here and there that are included in the damage.

Thing is, a barbarian should be using a whole different weapon set then a necromancer - a necromancer is mainly a caster, you'd want to carry around a wand with +skills.
    As far as barbarians go, they usually end up wielding weapons like beserker axes/collossus blades/thunder mauls socketed with a good runeword, some of which require a lot more strength then you should ever have on a necromancer. (a thunder maul for example requires you to have 253 STR.)
    A good alternative if you have trouble finding the runes for the high end runewords is the Immortal King's Stone Crusher , in fact the entire immortal king set is a good choice for endgame gear: http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/sets/sets5.shtml#immortalking

Also, even if the necromancer and barbarian have the same damage right now - once you fill out your main damaging skills and their synergies, the barbarian should be able to put out a lot more melee damage.

TL, DR; If your barbarian is lagging behind in damage, it's time you find him a better weapon.

3. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Probably because your necro is using gear that adds damage, as Xosmi says. Extra damage on hit bonuses can spawn just about anywhere. Once your Barbarian levels the appropriate weapon skills though his damage should be significantly higher.
    It's actually very possible to play a combat necromancer, thanks to curses, Bone Armor, Corpse Explosion and Revive. You'll be fighting more like a skirmisher/opportunist than a warrior though, you do NOT want to tank strong attacks as a necromancer. You'll also be spending about as much time casting as fighting.

Base weapon APR does change depending on whoever is currently using the weapon. Necromancers tend to have faster attack speeds than others when using daggers, crossbows and scythes, for example.

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What should I cast? Right now I just cast Decrepify, Poison Nova and Corpse Explosion.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Amplify is or should be your main curse, not decrepify.

6. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Decrepify already covers Amp as well as weekend?? Or am I reading something wrong??

7. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Check the curse values. Decrepify reduces physical resistance by 50%, while Amplify Damage reduces physical resistance by 100%. That's twice as much damage physical damage.
    Decrepify is normally used as a defensive curse because of the slow/weakness effect, while Amplify Damage is used for general mob clearing.

8. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Where can I see the curse values? I just checked the Arreat Summit but no luck there unless I overlooked something??
    Amp says it increases by 100% but Decrepify doesn't say how much??

9. Paracelsi

Media:
    Effect: Target's Speed, Damage and Physical Resistance -50%.

It's there, just below the skill description.

10. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    DOH! I was reading it wrong. Thank you :cool:

11. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Decrepify slows and weakens the enemies also. Is that not better? I know you have to waste points getting to it but it seems better because of this??

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Amp is better for most enemies. I only ever use decrep for bosses.

Also, a level 10 (for sake of argument) amp has a radius of 8 yards and a duration of 35 seconds. A level 10 decrep lasts for 9.4 second and has a radius of 4 yards (frankly, it's basically a single-enemy curse). So you would need to spam it over a bunch where amp is cast and move on.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.