1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why does Europe like Soccer (Football)

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackhawk, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Hmm, why do we like soccer..?

It's faster than football (football effectivly is "lawn-chess"; in Europe, an slow and boring soccer match is called the same), slower than hockey and not as complicated (and long) as baseball.

The only american sport really popular in Europe is Basketball (okay, ice hockey too). It's adequatly fast, simple and short.

I like american football, because I like the tactical part in it.

MfG

2. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hmm I like Soccer and Basketball , nothing else. Maybe it's because they are the most popular games in Europe or maybe I don't know other games really well. It really seems stupid to me that people punch each other to get the ball and a field of lunatics laugh at that!
    Soccer is pure tactic and condition.If anyone does think that it's not mannish enough, I want to know what is?(save basketball)
    Really, fighting seems stupid to me.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Right LOL

They lost the national cup with 4-1 against some meager footyclub

4. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Off topic

War Eagle!

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Generally, you like what you know, you know what you are exposed to as a child, you are exposed to what your parents decides is good for you, what they did and what your friends do.

Random theories - Most countries have one or two main sports that all of the kids play to some degree or another and are watched by most people who watch sports. Aside from the somewhat recent enhancement of basketball, most of Europe was and is focused on soccer (we'll ignore Cricket as the abomination it is and excuse the English for having invented it and its bastard stepchild, baseball).

Here in the states, most kids are exposed to, at the minimum, three major sports - baseball, football (American) and basketball. In various areas of the country, there are usually at least two other sports that vie for time - hockey where it's cold, lacrosse in the northeast, surfing and beach volleyball where there's an ocean, etc. With so many sports around, soccer doesn't take the center of our sports hearts here as much as it does elsewhere around the world.

That being said, I find baseball, both versions of football and televised hockey to be monstrously boring and do not spend any time on it at all. (Let's not even get into golf -- fine to play, need a frontal lobotomy to watch). I'm watching bits of the Stanley Cup finals now, but I wouldn't turn down Ducks tickets if they came my way -- I love going to hockey games.

Soccer has been around here for decades and there have been leagues set up, kids have played it, etc. It just is not all that popular.

I was exposed to tennis as a child (I've played since I was 4). Thus, I enjoy watching tennis. I do not expect others who did not play it to watch it. Just an example and my two cents.

6. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

American football a "man's sport"? Come on, those girls playing it wear body armor and helmets! Afraid they might break a finger nail, perhaps? :D

Play some rugby, now that's a man's sport! ;)

On topic, soccer in Europe is about money, big money, that's why it's omnipresent in the media and in the culture. In America, the big money is in other sports.

7. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

@ Morgoth

Thanks for reminding me. :D
    I live in that city, remember ? I spent two days among celebrating Utrecht supporters, i was the only one NOT celebrating. :D

8. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

why european like soccer better than football? What are you talking about? The whole world prefer soccer over football. (Actually, Philippinos don't like soccer as well, but they are not found of football either.)

i have this litte theory of mine on "Why a particular sport become popular?"
    (In priority, the most important one list first)

1 - Simple rules.
    When you are expecting everyone to engage in a particular "thing", you must have simple rules. Rules that can be understand easily by any layers, every classes of humanity. Simple rules result in easy understanding. I was lucky enough to witness in TV the last play between New York vs San Francisco post season game earlier this year. When the game finishes, all the TV analyists says that Terry made a stupid mistake, he should throw the ball down and stop the game. But then, the day after, everyone says he made the right choice. Rules so complicated that even expert tv analyists make mistake, this is not good for spreading the game around, not good at all.

2 - Fast pace.
    100 meters and Marathon, both have identical rules. Which one will you get more excited watching? One of the reason we watch sport is to seek excitement. Slow pace/no pace = dull, no one wants to watch this.
    This can be extend a bit to continuity. While people are watching, they don't want to wait. Play for a few seconds, the clock stops, play another few seconds, clock stops, and so on is not really fasinating and attractive to people, unless when it comes to the final crucial moment. Which entertaining wrestling sounds better, Goldberg and Stone Cold beat the hell out of each other from start till end or Ric Flair gives Hogan a cheap punch, plea for mercy, run around, another cheap punch, mercy, run around and so on?

3 - Easy equipment.
    Pele and Marodona both grew up playing football made of waste cloths and later become soccer legends. You have to know, not every country is rich like America. And certainly not every groups of neighbourhood kids can afford a plastic American football, not to mention the helmets and pads for schools. However, anyone can easily find a field, a ball of any meterial and just mark where the goal is and they can engage in a simple soccer game.
    Extand this and you can easily understand why no one is Southeast Asia is found of ice hockey.

If you apply these three rules, you can know easily why the top four Americans sports differ in the popularity throughout the world. You can easily know that soccer is really the way to go.

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Once in a while a certain topic in the alley attracts my attention and this is it.

I like soccer a lot, and there's actually only two sports I play and like and that's soccer and Tennis.

Soccer for me is tension, excitement and fast paced. I mean look at a baseball match :sleep:

I am amazed though to see this much soccer fans, I know it's Europe's number one sport but not a lot of people who visit this kind of boards like soccer/sports in general.

EDIT: Oh I forgot........AJAX AMSTERDAM OLE OLE :thumb:

10. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I don't wonder at all. Soccer is a sport and the fans who like it like it. Many people can't understand why Americans like baseball (which is one of the sports that I follow).
    Many people here have made the very valid point that soccer requires almost no equipment. This makes it playable almost anywhere. You could make a ball out of rags and play. This is why it has caught on in impoverished nations so well. Basketball seems to be following for the same reasons.
    That said, I still think it's boring. On about the same level as baseball. I was raised playing and watching baseball, so I like it. If I had been raised playing and watching soccer, I would probably like it.

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Eeeerm...Apeman... i just removed you from my christmascard list. :D

12. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Still thinking about last years national cup he Pac Man :D :D

I'll explain it to non dutchies, last years national soccer cup went to ajax who scored the 1-1 in, I don't know, the last minute of the game. But it was like 3 metres off side. They won the game in after-time. That was pretty funny ;)

13. Pac man Gems: 25/31

LOL No, that one didn't bother me at all. Read back what i said earlier in this thread, and you'll find out that the rivalry between MY team and Ajax goes waaaay beyond that petty little cupfinal. :D

14. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, I didn't bother to read the other replies, so forgive me.

I am European and I say that I truly think that football is...

*drum roll*

UTTER CRAP.

That goes for hockey as well.

*casts protection from angry males*

15. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Why women don't like soccer:
    You should be tactical
    You should be sensible
    It's hard, walking with your legs spread...
    (Ahum, sorry for that)

16. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I don't like football(soccer). Actually, I hate football(soccer).
    *mumbles* Well, basically, I hate any sport but this is another matter.

I can't understand why Americans like their football and baseball. Despite hating football, I'd rather play this sport than baseball or American football.

17. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I love soccer (i hate the name soccer - why did americans have to hijack the name football) but I hate watching it. Every time I see a game I just want to go and play it. I can always find out the result later.

I have seen an ice hockey, american football and baseball game live.

The ice hockey was ok (it was a pretty boring match) but i do enjoy watching it on tv when its on (rarely in england).

The cheerleaders at the american football game were more interesting than the match. I'm not an expert on the game but I do know some of the rules and the whole thing was just so slow. Rugby beats american football any day.

The baseball match was even less interesting. I remember meeting the baltimore oriole and also that cal ripkin (is that his name?) was about to beat some record for playing every game in the last 100 years but other than that I havent a clue. Cricket is way better (and harder).

Generally I enjoy playing football but prefer watching other sports. Most american sports have too many breaks to be even remotely interesting.

Perhaps soccer is not popular in america because it does not have enough opportunities for advert breaks.

Come on the Spiders!!! (Queen's Park FC for anyone wondering)

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why is rugby called FOOTball, when all they do is run around with a ball in their arms. The only reason I can see to call it football, is that one single time a player kicks the ball, because he realizes that's the only way to score in a goal at such heights.

19. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Rugby is called football because a guy (I think called Webb Ellis) was playing football at Rugby school (a school in England) when for some reason he decided it would be easier to pick the ball up and run with it and so the resulting game became known as Rugby Football.

20. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    *ahem*

Just came across this thread, so I might be a bit late, but I have one thing to say to Blackhawk and his original post:
    We invented the sport, punk, so none of this American “we” crap! :flaming:
    All you guys have done is watered down the talent so that its nothing more than a freakin’ clutch-and-grab sleep-fest! (At least in the NHL) :mad:

Thank you for your attention.

(As you can see, I’m always looking to make new friends :D )

[ June 10, 2003, 19:14: Message edited by: Splunge ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.