1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why can't/won't they...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    HB, the Minidisc is an old and abandoned technology that Sony really tried hard to push...but the fact is, MiniDisk sucked big time. :nono:

MicroDrive, as you can see in the links I provided, is a mini-hard drive, a little bigger than two US quarter dollars. IIRC, they have 8 GB MicroDrives currently in production, which means that with Seagate's new HDD technology, they will be able to go past 10GB on the device. :thumb:

That aside...I thought of another today. A lot of cars have heated seats (amazingly useful in the dead of winter), but AFAIK, there are no "seat coolers". It's blazingly hot here right now, and it would be nice to have a seat that has a fan or something in side it that can remove the heat that collects between the driver's back and the seat. If it's 100 degrees outside the car, that means it's going to be 120+ inside the car, and even once you get the AC flowing, that seat remains HOT! :nolike: :rolling:

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Yeah, in your oh so humble opinion :rolleyes: .

MiniDisk was a good invention for portable devices; offering CD quality audio on a device that was significantly smaller than a portable CD player. Besides that, it never skips. Now before you start boasting that your MuVo or Zen never skips as well, again compare the MD with ten years ago. It may be old, but it still works as hell. MicroDrives may be able to store more data (who needs 10GB of storage space on a portable device anyway?), but moveable parts wear off over time, so they will break down. When a MD stops working you simply toss it away and get a new disk, but it will take a while before hard drives are cheap enough to do that.

I have another one: why don't they stop trying to put all these portable devices into one device? A lot of people may want this, but the support for full intergration is about as big as the support for full seperation. Give us guys the possibilty to choose a mobile phone without camera and other useless stuff that work way better in a seperate device.

I like this idea, but there is no need for the LCD screen to take up extra space. I like the idea of being able to access the cars internal programming for things like diagnostics. But even if car manufacturers provide the software to hook up your laptop to the car, the usability will probably be dreadfully low.

3. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

HUD technology is something that I foresee will fill this particular niche in the near future...IIRC the Merc S Class is already incorporating this to some degree...or I could just be wrong! :p

4. Cirrus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Saturn already has a setup where your does daily, weekly, or monthly systems diagnostics and e-mails the data to your PC.

5. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

@Faraaz
    Alienware is a subdivisary of Dell - at least since the takeover.

-A properly functioning DirectX emulator for Linux
    -Phones with a built in answering machine so that we don't have to pay for voicemail. I mean how hard could it be considering the pre-existing functions of most mobiles - This is just a blatant case of the phone companies profiteering
    -hmm... an electronic pad perhaps, to save notes from lectures electronically as a jpeg image. If accuratly named it could save many hours sifting through the hundreds of pages of paper before exams, and be beneficial to the environment.

[edit]this (the GP2X) until I realised that it already exists in Korea and there is a forecast US launch (and hopefully an Aussie launch - if not ebay).

6. Kitrax

Media:
    Isn't that what tablet PCs and Palm Pilots are for? :hmm:

Or are you talking about an actual writing pad that transfers your written data in to a file? If so, I do believe that device also exists... :rolling:

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I'm not charged for my voice mail.

Been done. $300 is pretty cheap for a car stereo, so I don't see the problem. Which brand would you rather see offer this? I've got some Sony equipment and never had a problem with it.

My Motorola phone will do it, and I bought it here in the States.

8. Kitrax

Media:
    How about stock units? MY Jetta has one of those extra larger tuner (Double DIN), so if I were to replace it with an aftermarket tuner, there would be a large gap...

That aside, *if* I were to replace it, I would go with a Clarion deck. :thumb: :rolling:

9. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Motorola = s***. The only good serie of phones Moto ever made was the StarTAC and Timeport series. No modern Moto ever matched the reliability of those series. And FFS, don't tell me you have a freaking RAZR. That thing is trash, and it's soon to be replaced by the even uglier KRZR.

I am, but I don't have it. This is carrier-dependant.

Nothing even comes close to Denon.

10. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Heres one, Why cant/wont they make a decent version of the V3? ;)

11. Disciple of The Watch

The CDMA versions (V3C and V3M) are pretty good, for RAZRs. BTW, when are you getting your next phone upgrade? :p

12. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Ah, Sorry, my friends phone broke, so he needed to buy my RAZR off me :(

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Of course I don't have a RAZR. That thing is trash. I get a new phone every couple of years so as long as it lasts that long I don't really care much about reliability.

So does my Subaru. Sony and Panasonic both make DD units. I think Pioneer or JVC does too.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

A system for describing the power of computers that thickos like me can understand. I'm trying to work out what I need in a PC to be able to play NWN2 and I'm being overwhelmed by all the various chip numbers, processor codes, graphics card numbers, accelerator this, dual core that, sound blast that thing over there. I need a system that divides personal computers into Basic, Average, Above Average, and Supersonic. Then if someone tells me I need an 'Above Average' PC to play NWN2, then I'll go and get the best priced 'Above Average' one I can find.

I know that this is actually an impossibly stupid idea because the techy stuff keeps changing every day but I'm just really venting my frustration. I'll stop now. Thanks for your patience.

15. Disciple of The Watch

Finally someone with sense. They're dishing out new versions of the RAZR, the KRZR, and the RIZR (a slider RAZR), which I hear are just as much trash as their predecessors. It's the Moto OS which sucks donkey balls... stop tweaking the looks and concentrate on OS, for f***'s sake!

16. Kitrax

Media:
    Never fear HB, I shall *try* and help you, and all other "thickos" out there.

As it is, the minimum system requirements for NWN2 are:
    2.2GHz P4 (or better)
    512MB of RAM (or better)
    NVidia 5600Ultra or ATI 9500pro (or better)
    And probably about 2-3 GB of free hard drive space.

Now, with that said, you'll obviously need a computer with specs that are higher than those listed above.
    CPU wise, that's easy...pretty much every new CPU at this point is faster than that. Think of it this way…if it’s dual core, it will work just fine. :D
    When it comes to RAM, you're going to need to upgrade. You will need *at least* 1GB or more. (If you are smart, you would buy 2x 1GB sticks of RAM and install them in the proper banks to enable dual-channel mode if your motherboard supports it)
    Video card wise, an nVidia 6600 video card (under $100) or better as well as the ATI 9800 (around $100) or better would be able to handle the game just fine.

With that in mind HB, pretty much any new computer that you buy that is between the $700 - $1000 price range will be able to handle NWN2 just fine. :tumb:

And if you're still in doubt, configure a new system that you like on any of the online PC vendors (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc...) and before you click the purchase button, post a link to the system that you're about to buy here on SP, and lets us look it over for you so we can see if you have all the right parts. :thumb: :rolling:

17. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Kitrax,
    They tend to be a tad bulky and expensive, I was thinking of something a tad more portable - like the size of a regular A4 or A5 pad, and just a touch screen thingy that saves what you record- mainly so that you don't misplace 1/2 your notes over the cource of the year.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I already have, here: http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/28/21.html#000004

And it's all your talk of installing sticks in banks that I'm trying to get away from because it's too confusing.

19. Kitrax

Media:
    Too confusing? :skeptic:

Look, most motherboards usually have 4 slots for memory. 2 are one color, 2 are a different color. You put two sticks of RAM that are the same in the two slots that are the same color, and *poof* you're running in dual-channel mode...which is a lot faster... :thumb:

I replied in the thread to liked to... :D :rolling:

20. Harbourboy

I don't even know what either a motherboard looks like nor a stick of RAM, let alone where you slot them. I have never seen any sticks in slots on any PC I have ever used. I have only seen USB slots and modem slots but I think you're talking about something more technical than that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.