1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why can't/won't they...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, time for tech frustration ranting...

Why can't/wont they:
    • Put a 3+ MP camera in a cell phone and be able to use advanced features like scene selection and filters like regular cameras...
    • Add a SD, miniSD, CF, MD, or other mainstream memory card slot to premium car audio receivers. Most of them say "Mp3 playback" but that just means you have to burn your Mp3s to a CD and it will play them. IIRC, a few high end Sony recievers will let you use a Memory Stick...but Sony sucks. I remember seeing a device that used a huge box, and a proprietary cartridge to play Mp3s in you car, but IIRC, the unit was $200 and each cartridge was around $100. :skeptic:
      What is so hard about adding a small slot right under the CD slot for media cards?
    • Release a hard drive with a section of dedicated flash memory built in specifically for the OS. Do you know how much faster Windows would start and run if it was set aside on it's own section of flash memory built in to HDDs?
    • Modern cars have hundreds of sensors all over, so when the check engine light comes on, why can't they have an LCD screen somewhere that displays something other than an cryptic code...like a sentence that says something like, "Temp sensor #2 not responding." and be able to clear the message and thus, turn off the check engine light yourself instead of needing a dealership to do it for you...with the potential of being charged.
      IIRC, one of the overpriced Cadillac cars with OnStar will email you info they collected from your car's computer, including check engine codes and what they mean. But who wants to pay $60,000 + for a crummy GM product along with a monthly OnStar charge? :nono:
      My car for example has a sensor that tells me when my windshild wiper fluid is low...if that sensor goes bad, I really don't need to replace it. So being able to see the problem and being able to clear it myself would save a lot of money for a useless problem.
    Do you have to add? :rolling:

[ August 07, 2006, 23:54: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Japanese cellphones already have those.

3. Kitrax

Media:
    I don't live in Japan...so what good does that do me? :hmm: :bad:

Japan always gets the really cool stuff first, and then 5+ years later, the rest of the world gets everything they are tired of playing with. :bang: :rolling:

4. Disciple of The Watch

Ever thought of getting an unlocked Japanese GSM on eBay?

5. Kitrax

Media:
    is the manual and menus in english? Because, last time I checked...my Japanese is limited to Mooshi Mooshi! :p

Ok DotW, point me to a fairly cheap pre-US release Samsung phone that has a 3+ MP camera, and anything that Japanese decide to add in it... I don't even know where to start searching for the Japanese phones. :bad:

But all of this is :yot:

You're supposed to be adding your tech frustrations! :rolling:

6. Disciple of The Watch

I'm no expert of Japanese GSM phones, but I will dig and see what I can find... but don't expect anything under 175$. And it probably won't be a Samsung.

My tech frustrations...

- Telus won't reactivate my StarTAC, no matter how much I yell, curse, and threaten to switch to Bell Stupidity, even though they won't reactivate my phone. FOR ****'S SAKE, how HARD can it be to add a DAMN ESN # in your ****ing system?!?

- Robbers are trying to push me on GSM by offering me a crappy Nokia 3220. I love Nokias, but this one is truly ugly-arse. And they expect me to stash 100$ for this horror. Just leave me the **** alone, I'm on TDMA and I like it this way, and when the guillotine falls on TDMA, then give me a free phone to move on to GSM or go **** yourselves. Telus will welcome me back with open arms - and CDMA is FAR superior to GSM.

7. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

F*****g Verizon makes it so that you have to shell out another $20 to get the driver to hook your VX8100 to your PC. I have found a way around this though, I am going to buy a mini memory card for the phone, load what I want on it and then stick it in my phone. I hope it works!

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Java killing the sound on my computer.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I've got a Nokia N80...that's got a 3 MP camera, and its got some options to control the exposure, tone, colour, contrast etc which affords a fairly high customisation of your picture...

The memory card thing I am with you a hundred per cent. My car's MP3 player is fairly old...so if a CD is even slightly scratched, it says CD error and refuses to play it!

And I hate having to keep track of what songs are on what CD...why can't I just stick in my memory card and play it off that? Although I predict that this is going to happen within the next 3-4 years. IIRC, a friend of mine spent about USD 5000 customising his Honda Civic's audio system. His DVD head unit does have the memory stick option (Memory Stick Pro Duo IIRC) so yeah...just wait a while till the technology trickles down to us mortals! :roll:

What I HATE however, is having to buy a router just so I set up a wireless network between two computers. If both the computers have a network card, how hard is it to let them hook up directly? Maybe I am not as tech-savvy as the rest of you folks, but I definitely don't see why they can't build in that additional component into a network card and charge you a few extra dollars for that functionality. As of now, my wireless networking function is useless when I am travelling because I have to have the effin' router with me. :grr:

10. Disciple of The Watch

Brall - Make sure it's a miniSD, that's the only type your phone accepts. But I think it would work.

11. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Brallrock: I know what you mean, I had the same problem with a Nokia, the cable driver is €40 around here, and the program for the computer another €20. So I just bought a €7 infrared USB addapter and that's all, Windows did the rest :D

12. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Multiple Desktops for Windows, Linux has it for ages, so why doesn't Windows?

13. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Morgoth: My windows has featured multiple desktops for three years now. (nVidia driver feature.)

DotW: The 3220 is actually a good phone. And it's look is customizable.

I want cheaper equipment! And more optimized software! And easier ways to control a computer!

Mostly the cheaper hardware/software, I can't afford my computing hobby.

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

I also want laptops that have upgradeable graphics. And don't say Alienware...that's a one off...I want all laptops to have universally upgradeable graphics like desktops do. If Alienware can do it, why can't Dell??

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Our car has a MD player in it, and it's hardly the world's flashest car. It's only a 2000 Toyota Caldina.

16. Disciple of The Watch

Yeah... but regardless how hard I persuade myself it could be worst, I just don't like that phone. And no way I'm dishing out a hundred bucks for it. If it was the 3200, now that would be another story.

17. Kitrax

Media:
    You do mean MicroDrive and not MiniDisk right? There's a huge difference there Harbs. the MiniDisk is a crummy technology from Sony...while MircoDrive is actually a micro sized hard drive. If you were to open it up it would look like this.

I agree with Fraaz 110%! If you can upgrade the amount of RAM, switch out the HDD, and even switch out the optical drives, why can't laptop vendors make a video card upgradeable? Imagine if they were able to package a video card like they do to the HDD. Take out two screws and it slides right out, fan and all...it would make for easy cleaning and upgrading!

That would open up a whole new section of the PC industry! :thumb: But of course, it will never happen. :nono: :rolling:

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Yeah...atleast for the next 5-10 years...

Can you believe I'm getting rid of my 3.2 GHz, 1 GB RAM laptop just because I can't upgrade my 256 MB Radeon 9800?? In the money I get from selling my laptop, I'm buying a desktop for the same configuration, except the graphics card is going to be a GeForce 7900 512 MB...go figure. :grr:

19. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I was given a creative labs MuVo V200 Mp3 player nice, sound quality excellent, battery life 1 AAA 15 hours, good. Loading the damn thing annoying as hell :flaming:

I mean which moron's idea was it that when you rip the cd into a folder, it doesn't hold them in track order, but alphabetical WTF :flaming: :bang: Well I got round that one by ignoring the real track names and just calling them trk1 trk2 etc etc :bang: But then another moron or most likely the same moron when putting the tracks on the player it doesn't put them as they were on the cd oh no it sticks an audible gap in between each track :bang: :bang: :flaming:

This would mean for instance that if I listened to Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon (essentially a continuous track) the first thing I would listen to according to the MP3 code would not be Breathe but Any Colour you Like and instead of just hearing the heartbeat linking songs there would be a gap.

As I say the correct track listing I've got round, but the gap is bloody annoying especially as a lot of my albums are Mixed and so don't have track gaps. :bang: :bang: :flaming:

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Um, no. Never heard of MicroDrive. Our car has a mindisc player in it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.