1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who Would Join Me?

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Avooch Dar, May 21, 2001.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Yeeeeeiik!! the nobleman turns his head in shame as more of theese magnificant figures enters the hallway.
    My concern is most certainly the the parking problems in bridge district he stutters not sure whether he feels comfortable any longer.The Nobleman hesitates for a moment but then speaks. First in a low whispering tone. I admire and respect Your-paldin kind without You (he looks at Mathetais to be acknowledged) Faerun would be a dark and sinister place (his voice grows stronger and more secure) I may Only be a Nobleman of flesh but I am a paladin of Heart. I see that my mind has been clouded with Noblespeech and behaviour. But now I see I was born to the wrong place.
    "He Walks to Sir Dargorn "Since I don't have the skill to become a paldin, I will dedicate my life to the Practical runnings of Your magnificent temple. I will be honered if You would allow this duty.
    He kneels, and awaits the judgement.

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Ahhhh Nobleman. You have passed the first test. The decision is up to Sir Dargorn, but I would sponsor you.

Pride is the first flaw of the paladin and, if untreated, is always fatal.

Your heart was born to serve as a paladin, unshackeled you will be mighty indeed!

3. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

*busy stealing money from the Helm collection plate*....

4. Avooch Dar Guest

Sir Dargorn gently rises with a lambs leg in one hand and a goblet in the other. The hall looks up expecting a great speech and are surprised to see him quickly flip round and throw the half gnawed leg bone into the far reaches of the hall. He had already turned back and was beginning to draw breath before a yelp at the back of the hall was heard.
    While he began to speak there was a small cursing sound as a limping Spudsquisher made his way out of the door.
    He smiled smugly and began to speak again:

Indeed!
    Nobleman is worthy of such an honour an will from this day forward be treated as one of the order.
    He has indeed passed the first test (nods at Mathetais) but there are many to go.
    However, there is no doubt in my mind that he shall make a fine and true warrior. If not brandishing steel then his words will help the cause!
    As they say that the word is mightier than the sword.

Sir Dargorn looks once more to the giant Mathetais:
    You have done well to advise me on this mateer good knight. I presume you have duties elsewhere but you will be welcomed at all times by this order!

At that he slowly retreats atnd sits.

5. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] And are these... "tests"... for only selected indeviduals here? Is slaying a shadow dragon, the fearsome Firkraig, the loathsome Bodhi, and other banes of the prime material plane nothing to boot????
    Shedding limbs from the undead is my entire life, and have in all liklyness, stopped the vampires from overrunning Faerun by the hudreds of thousands. This Order seems slightly discriminatory towards some.

6. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

A brief moment passes and the nobleman raises his head. Those near him can get a glimse of shining tears of joy, building up in his eyes. Unable to speek he turns to the audience. He feels a relief he has never felt before. Numerous knights standing tall and brave in their shining armor. The atmosphere is friendly and calm. "I am one them" the Nobleman thinks. "I am one them" His eyes keep circle the crowd. His mind seems empty. reliefed. A burden has been taken from his shoulders, and these knights seem to carry it with pride and responsibility. suddenly he spots a sad face though. A truly Astonishing Paladin has been ignored throughout it all. This is "jack-of-all-trades". A knight that carries a gaze of a very honorable and yet cunning mind. The Nobleman glances at Sir Dargorn and then at Mathetais. Then back at Sir Dargorn, hoping that one of them will welcome this Paladin too.

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] Jack-of-all-trades, from my understanding no discrimination could be levied towards you. Paladins are defined by their heart and actions, not by recognition or by ranking.

Your actions had already ranked you among the order. My comments to Nobleman were only because of his earlier "flip tongue" and then his contrition. The test he had passed was overcoming pride and humbling himself. (A test that took me years to pass as my heart was enthralled to pride)

If you think you need further testing of your metal, then I would be happy to accommodate! ;) However, I already embrace you as a brother and would stand back to back with you against any legion!

8. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

*painting red noses on the statues outside the High Hall Of the yadda yadda yadda...*

9. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

All this spiritual contentment and humility is making me all fuzzy. Although I do not object, I must remind all that we do not live in an ideal world. We must not be carried away with such an attitude. Remember the voice of reason fellow Paladins, the word may be mightier than the sword, but watch out for that sword waiting to slice off your tongue!

Also, I find it hard to retreat to the shiny halls of the order. I find it hard to believe that we can proclaim ourselves servants of the people, when we live in more palatial homes than those on the streets. We strut our shining armour and gleaming jewel hilted swords in the luxurious temple district but do we care for the people in the "filthy" bridge district?

Maybe that is why some of our fellow brethren decided to leave this Hall for the filth of the Bridge...

10. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

*stands in a shadow in the corner mumbling "Well well well, and another slave joins the course." Turns around and walk toward the exit"

11. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

"Lord Praetor Munir - I do not presume to speak for my brothers, but allow me to reply to your well-founded concerns.

This evening of discussion is a simple retreat, and does not define my course of life. Most evenings find me in the Bridge District, or in the bowels of a tomb. My worn, leather pommel has but one gem, and that was a gift from a rescued elf princess.

Indeed, you inspire me."

*** Mathetais pries the knuckle sized diamond from his pommel and places it on the center table. It seems to glow softly, as though containing the captured light of a star.***

"I offer this gem as a prize. Let us spend this evening entertaining each other with the stories of our journeys. To the tale that best defines the nature of the paladin, I will award this gem.

The competition is open to all, though you are considered a rogue, simple warrior or mage. If you can tell an honest tale of a time when you exemplified the heart of a paladin, then you may spin it for our delight, and for our evaluation.

It will be good to do this, as the tales can inspire us as we leave the safety of this lighted hall, and return to our individual sojourns throughout the world!"

12. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

*stops before the exit and turn around, and speaks with high and clear voice "Noble Paladins of the Order, I have a question if I may." No one speaks, though all waits for the question. Directed towards Nobleman "Please tell me good sir, would you give your life to save another life, if this other life belongs to a peasent whom you dont know?"

13. Avooch Dar Guest

Sir Dargorn rises. He stands seven foot tall and dwarfs the two squires that sit beside him.
    He has barely reached his twenty fifth winter yet his eyes look wisened and venerable but his body is still young and he strides to the middle of the hall.
    He searches into his left breast pocket and pulls out a small black sheild shaped object.
    He holds it up at full reach so that the entire audience may see it.
    It was a scale, the scale of a dragon yet it gleamed so that a thousand reflections could be seen at once.
    He observes the audience, pleased to find them staring in wonder he begins to speek:

I have only killed one dragon since my adventuring days began 9 years past. This is the scale that i tore from its hide. But i am not to tell the tale of how many great battles i have won and nearly lost. I am to tell the tale of a great desiscion that i have had to make:

He puts the scale back in his pocket and starts up once more. It was two winters ago and i was travelling along the sword coast looking for quests and uncovered artifacts.
    As i walked i spotted in the distance a plume of smoke and as i investigated further i discovered a tiny village. So small that it was not on any map, this village contained maybe ten people at the most. I can not remember now it was unimportant at the time.
    When i arrived at the first hovel however, i got the sudden sense of something abnormal. There were crude pickets and battlements set up around the whole area and the smell of burning wood was potent in the air.
    Despite this grim appearence iwas greated by the vilagers as if i were a god. They offered me food though i could tell by their look that they had not eaten in days.
    There was one other unusual thing about this place. There was only one man to 9 or 10 women.
    I asked them of what troubles had befallen them and after many denials they finally admitted to the problem. There was a cave nearby that was harbouring a Black dragon. The animal had been stealing children and women and now the men were being lost too as they went to confront the it.
    The beast was not fully grown but to a small group of farmers he was Bhaal reincarnated!
    They told me that they had not got anything for reward save what the dragon had hoarded but that would i fight and destroy the beast before it killed more of their people.
    Being a knight i was bound by my God to say yes.
    I decided yo head for the cave that same day. The killing of a young dragon should be quite easy i thought and i was surprised to find how much damage the beast had done.
    I came to the mouth of the cave situated in the face of a cliff above a small stream.
    I heard screams before i had even reached the entrance.

I found when i got inside that the dragon had somehow recruited other beasts including ghouls and gibberlings to his lair. There i saw the dragon on one side not yetr noticing me and content on admiring his treasures. on the other side was a young lad of maybe 16, cornered by the other creatures.
    This was stil to be an easy fight yet there as no way for me to do two at once. I went for the boy first and immediatly the dragon caught site of me.
    " ahhhhhhhhh another fool come to save his beloved village. We are so lucky to have such a constant supply of fresh meat!"
    I ignored the animal and headed straight for the creatures surrounding the boy. The dragon did not yet advance, presuming that i was another vilager come to rescue another.
    He was to think differently though when he watched me slice two ghouls in seconds and begin on the third.
    The young dragon, knowing that he could not defeat an experienced Paladin began to flee.
    "A Paladin my be stronger than me, but he cannot fly! I shall make those peasents pay for this!"
    At this point i was left with two choices:
    I could save the boy and lt the village burn or i could leave the child and slay the dragon before he had time to escape.

i chose the latter and spun around to face the beast. It was a short battle and although he spun his great limbs around wildly, he could not move his wins in such a confined space. I chose my moment carefully and with the aid of a little prayer i leapt and struck the beast between the eyes with blade. It moaned for a long while and continued to thrash at the air before collapsing in a steaming heap.
    I had saved the village but i had let the boy die.
    These are the desiscions a Paladin must make. he must not get caught in the moment though. he must not try for things which are impossible and he must think with wisdom and not bravery. I let that boy die. But if i had saved him he would have not had a illage to return to.

Sir Dargorn takes a deep breath and once again observes the audience. He is pleased by their reaction. He retreats to his table and sits.
    You could not help but notice the faint glitter of a tear in the corner of his eye.

[This message has been edited by Avooch Dar (edited May 24, 2001).]

14. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

The nobleman turns towards the exit. In the dimm light he can shadows of a person. "would I sacrifice my life" he thinks.. "What is this a new test". Well.. I ... I The Nobleman tries to find some clever words to say. But he has none. "does this mean I am no paladin?", the Nobleman thinks in horror. The Nobleman mind covers up with dark, confusing clouds, unable to think straight he stutters out a few words. I would, I guess I would. I guess I would sacrife my life for a peasant. If that peasant was of pure heart. Of paladin heart. Then I would do everything in my power to save him. But.. But.. "rays of sunlight pierce through the dark clouds covering his mind, and the Nobleman speaks in a more certain and wise tone, than he has ever done before. But I will not make a meaningless sacrifice. Killing myself of no purpose, trying to stop a beholder, will only benefit evil, not good. I know my limits and I know my battles. My battles against the evil lies elsewhere than fighting sinister forces across Faerun. My battles lies in convincing people that the true way of life is the ways of a paldin. The Nobleman again looks to Sir Dagorn who stands by a table telling his own tales, not sure if he has heard this at all. Then turns his head to the mysterious figure in the dark. Awaiting his answer.

15. Avooch Dar Guest

Sir Dargorn sits at his chair and marvells over the wonderous (and some slightly exagerated) stories that were being told by the many Paladins and those of other professions.
    He can hear disturbance in the far corner of the hall. He stands up and halts the proceedings with a quick flick of his hand.
    He realises the culprit of the noise and shouts:
    Nobleman! I do not mean to sound rude but your moment of fame is over for now! Let the others have their say! A worried expression comes over Nobleman's face and Sir Dargorn notices it.
    Oh very well come and speak to me if it is that important! He waves his hand once more and the Bard continues his story.

16. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

From the hooded figure with a voice like cold steel comes an answer.
    "A most wise answer, you seem to fight with the power of wisdom instead of the power of the sword." a short break, and the person continues
    "Then, please sir, answer me this. In the eyes of a Paladin, is there deeds that makes a dark soul irredeemable?"

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited May 24, 2001).]

17. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

The Nobleman Aproaches Sir Dargorn. I am sorry if I am disturbing this "evening of tales" I had no reason to be in the moment of fame. I didn't wish to have a moment of fame... As for this matter. I would appreciate to maintain the practical runnings of Your magnificent order in pure humbleness and silence. Fame is not an issue important to me. But I must be allowed to answer a man when spoken to. Or perhaps You feel otherwise? May I be free to speak with the hooded figure again, within the walls of this temple or am I judged for silence mylord?

18. Avooch Dar Guest

Indeed! i am not sure what came over me dear friend. I understand that you do not want fame i was just angry at the disturbance.
    I am sorry noble Gentleman i shall not trouble you further.
    At this Sir Dargorn turns to the story teler but you cannot help but notice that something is troubling him and he is not really listening to the tale.

19. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

The Nobleman rushes to The hooded figure in the dark corner. For those observant, it is easy to see that he has not yet gotten rid of his noble walks.
    "I am sorry to have kept You waiting Mylord" Unknowing that this hooded figure might be a thief or assasin without any honrable thoughts at all. "About the irredeemable acts? No there are no actions that can be called irredemable. Everyone can be convinced and turned to benefit the good and the weak as a Paladin or as his servant. This counts only for Humuns though.. (the Nobleman is so occupied with talking that he doesn't notice how the eyes of the hooded figures glance from ring to ring on the hands of the nobleman's hands.Living his sheltered life he has not Yet stood face to face with a rouge before) ... Undeads and other monster cannot be reasoned with. They posses no sence of logic or honour. Dont You agree? The Nobleman looks up to face the eyes of the hooded figure.

20. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

"only humans you say..."
    as their eyes meet, the nobleman gets shocked for just a second. The form of the hooded figure, make him look like a human, but the eyes are as black as night "As you now see, I wear the face of the feared and hated. Many deeds I have made, though the have not been in the favor of good..."
    the hooded face with skin as dark as night, seem to disturb the nobleman, but the figure continues
    ".. I came here to see if I could perhaps find some slight chance of redemption, but you have judged me like many before. I know what you think, and the answer isn't yes, nor no, I am not drow, my mother was human and succeeded in fleeing a drow raid, though after she was.. well, I assume you can guess"
    The hooded figure stands still, waiting a short time.
    "So noble human, phew, aren't you going to draw that sword of yours, hm? If you wish... or can."

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited May 24, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.