1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who will win? Obama or McCain?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by joacqin, Aug 19, 2008.

?

Who do you think will win the upcoming election in the US?

1. John McCain

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Barack Obama

24 vote(s)
    64.9%
  1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Enter Rocky:

"Hey, Bullwinkle! What's happening?"

Bullwinkle: "Gee, Rocky. I'm just filling out my absentee ballot for the election."

Rocky: "Really."

Bullwinkle: "For sure, Rock. I'm voting for Sara Palin. I've heard that two of her big quifications are that she likes to hunt and fish. And that she is from a small town like we are, here in Frostbite Falls."

Rocky: "Ah, two things, Bullwinkle: First, isn't that a bad thing for us, all that hunting and all? And second, you're a Canadian, so your vote won't count anyway."

Bullwinkle: "How can this be a bad thing, Rock? If she's a Vice President, she won't have any time to hunt and shoot at us mooses anymore. And I've been iving here in Frostbite Falls, Minnesota, long enough that Karl Rove says I can vote. And I'm from a small town. They are looking for us 'small town' folk."

Rocky: "Well, being Vice President didn't stop Sara's predecessor, Dick Cheney, from hunting. He even shot people he wasn't aiming at."

Bullwinkle: "Oh, you don't say? Well, nevermind."

http://www.newsweek.com/id/157696

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

HAHAHA! You come up with the best stuff, Chandos. I guess that means I can't vote either, huh? Although I will point out that even Canadians know that the plural of "moose" is "meese", not "mooses" :p

I just had a horrid thought, though. The poll here on SP says that a pretty hefty majority think that Obama will win. What if Mccain is a true dirtbag and knows he's gonna lose the election? So he picks Palin so that he can blame it on "the hick woman" when he loses?

This conspiracy theory brought to you by someone who read too much of Coineagh's WTC thread. And the letters P, M and S. (married life is fun but exerting stress on LKD!)

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He's not. He won't blame anyone but himself -- that's just the way he is and why so many people like him.

One small comment: I think all the candidates are very likable and people of integrity. That's why I like this election -- I didn't feel that way about Clinton, Bush, Kerry, or Gore (and many before them). All the candidates have very clear differences in how they want to implement various programs and the priority of those programs (the biggest differences are between Palin and Biden), but I don't doubt the sincerity of any of the candidates in wanting to do "the right thing."

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nope, his campaign is already laying the ground work for blaming it on "sexism" and the "vicious liberal media."

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Gah! Everyone one knows that "meese" is the plural of "mouse", not "moose" (in the famous words of Mr. Jinx, "I hate meeses to pieces"). The plural of "moose" is "mess". Duh!

:p

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think your confused, Splunge -- 'meeses' is plural for mouse as you point out, not "meese."

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'm more inclined to got the completely opposite way - many Republicans were not pleased with McCain as a candidate in that he wasn't a "true conservative". On the other hand, Palin is just the type of candidate that Republicans love. If McCain loses, the Republicans have their frontrunner for 2012 - Palin. You couldn't expect her to get national recognition up there in Alaska, so you put her on the ticket, make her a household name, and get a true conservative to run in the next election. Palin '12

8. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I think it's wrong for them to do that. I should also point out, though, that the Dems have done the same thing before. I just hope that using that excuse isn't one of Mccains reason's for picking Palin.

MCCAIN: Dammit, we're gonna lose. Well, let's go down fighting. Let's pick a chick candidate for VP so that we can accuse the American public of sexism when they vote against us!

To be honest, I don't think it's likely -- as I said, it's a loony conspiracy theory. But it's fun to be a jerk sometimes!

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, I'm all for McCain losing, but I doubt his reasons for picking Palin were exactly that :)

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The poll here is wishful thinking really... I doubt there'll be more than 3-5% difference between Obama and McCain in the end.

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if several of the Obama votes are from people who won't get to vote in the US presidential elections.

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I can't vote in the real election but I still think McCain will win as does a few other disillusioned non-yanks.

13. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I think Obama will win, but it's way too early to make a "for sure" prediction, or even a comfortable one, for that matter. I think it would have been an even more interesting comparison: Hill and Sara, especially given that Hill was able to raise a very accomplished daughter, regarding the "parenting factor." But ability and accomplishment have not been factors in elections for a few years now.

Btw, does anyone here remember the complaints about Hill campaigning with her daughter? How she was "exploiting her" by having her on the stage? Sounds again like the American people have a case of ADD, as NOG has commented.

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As has already been pointed out, the dems for some reason are slightly meeker in the attack while the reps are ruthlessly viscious. When a Dem does X it is atrocious but when a Rep does X it is ok. To a lesser extent of course it works both ways but I must say the double standards seem way more rife amongst the republicans. This is the main reason I think McCain will win, the issues do not matter, reality do not matter the best PR and character assassination does and the Republicans are great at that.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  15. T2Bruno

Media:
    ...and why is it the Republicans keep electing politicians who sleep with men?

16. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Shhh! HRC is a Democrat, and a Clinton to boot! She's guilty by definition ;)

Actually, I don't so much mind Gov. Palin having her daughter on the campaign. The baby, on the other hand? Good grief.

17. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well, maybe that's why they chose Palin -- it would appear that she sleeps with men and that won't be a problem for the Republican grassroots!

Also, the idea of "over-compensation" comes to mind, as in "I have gay urges, and really don't want to world to know. I'll become a Republican! NO ONE will suspect me there!"

To be honest, though, I don't think there are as many Republicans of this sort out there, despite comments to the contrary.

In any event, while the Republican slime machine may be in full force, Obama has a lot more charisma, charm, and personality than both McCain and Palin put together and squared. He's gonna crucify McCain in the debates. I mean, he even has me questioning whether I'd vote for him or not were I an American! That's never happened before.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  18. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I know that this sounds cynical but they both have the novelty factor don't they? a female vice president for one and the other one's black.

I'm not saying that either is a bad thing but is this starting to turn into a popularity cantest more than an election?

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Isn't that what all elections are already?

:lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.