1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

who is the coolest NPC?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ivellos the Bladesinger, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

@Ivellos: Check my edited post... Hope it sheds some light on why i think she is the Best Addition.

2. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm an experienced player (so are you).
    The real power is Korgan. Maybe another NPC could defeat him (but you're pulling the strings), but who's gonna be the most useful for the party? Who's gonna handle beholders, illithids, and liches, including Kangaxx? Jaheira? Come on! The evil dwarf does it all by himself. Korgan has the "berserk" ability, the best parade against imprisonment.
    As he levels up, his saving throws are "powergaming" style, nothing can reach him.
    I give him the best equipment (but no strength enhancer) and he becomes a real killing machine.
    Keldorn, this racist prig, needs items you can normally have only very late in the game, to become "overbalanced", until that he's only useful for his "true sight" and "dispell magic" abilities, Korgan is effective right from the beginning.
    Edwin is cool, and what happens with him is very fun. Apparently, Bioware liked him very much. But the Staff of the Magi isn't available until late, and the Robe of Vecna is cheesy and not included in the normal game.
    I like Vic very much, but I wonder now, after several games, if she's not overrated. Her MR is chancy. Generally, she brings little to the party.
    Maybe Jaheira is underrated, she's a convincing fighter, but give her Str 19, with sling + club+3. And a druid.
    Imoen is the best addition, because she's a competent thief (you need no other one) and wizard.

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Coolest (is that even a word? coldest? most cool?): Cernd. The guy's a nice passive, stand-offish caring down-to-earth guy. His personality and speech is a reflection of his 18 wisdom score. And the fact that this all turnes around when he shapechanges into a greater-werewolf and becomes a feral killing machine. Keep him at the back of the party with iron skins on and run like crazy when things start attacking him. Cast his druid spells like crazy, try to disable enemies (especially spellcasters). If you're losing on the front lines shapechange and give him room.

Best addition: I always find the warrior classes the best addition to a party. They're the ones with the battlecrys going off "Blood and glory, now ye' DIE!" So I'd have to say Korgan with his insane CON ability and the fact that you can make him a ranged and melee bastard of fury if you give him Axe of Unyielding, K'logarath, Runehammer/Crom Faeyr and keep Dwarven Thrower (super handy with boots of speed in the fire-giant lair, I took on all the giants with Korgan alone just running around hiffing the hammer at them doing insane damage 2D4 +3 +8 +Str bonus). Korgan is always there to save my mage when he's under attack and hits hard disrupting enemy spellcasters if you give him a steady support of breach spells.

Underrated: Aerie. Bag 'o tricks. Give her robe of Vecna (sp?) and amulet of power and she'll heal you faster than anything. Sometimes in the later games when my front-line is falling I cast timestop, Improved Alacrity and go on a healing spree. She's the best thing for a melee-heavy party if you just make her a healer/dispeller.

Overrated: Minsc. Not actually that good of a warrior. The only thing he has over Keldorn is his STR and DEX yet you'll be using equipment to boost those anyway (dex gloves for Keldorn are a must) and Minsc ain't that handy in a spell-battle always failing his saves vs. charm and confusion (this strong party member is especially useful when he's ATTACKING MY CLERIC!). Keldorn just out-does him in every way. Boo is cute, fuzzy but not actually that useful... he takes up a quickslot damnit!

4. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

"Underrated: Cernd. (Maybe not in vanilla SoA, but with the Ease-of-Use mod, he's THE TANK!)"

absolutely - he becomes a proper greater werewolf like he originally should have been

although i think his ability to cast spells while being in wolf form makes him overpowered

another underrated charater =
    mazzy - machine gun, wizard disrupter and heals herself when necessary - fast, good melee ability and only 3 foot!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.