1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who I am

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Vorona, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

So, I've registered as Vorona on this forum. Here is some information about me.

1. Careerwise, I really screwed up. I tried to be a professor, but instead of getting a Ph. D. in French, I got a Masters, and then worked on a Masters in Russian. But I didn't pass the Comprehensive Examination, so no Masters in Russian. Then, I burned out of grad school, took a year off (when I was trying to get a job, but failed), and finally got a job working with developmentally disabled adults. It was a very rewarding job, or would have been, if I hadn't felt guilty all the time for not getting to what was really important. We were understaffed, and my coworkers expected me to have more common sense than I actually had. I happen to be fairly deficient in common sense, so whenever someone says something is "common sense," I always worry. One good thing about the job was that I realized I do have classroom management skills, so I went back to school to be a regular teacher. I moved back in with my parents, but the nearby college doesn't have an Education in French program, so I had to do English. I was pretty happy about that, actually, since I'd rather teach writing than French. So, now I'm qualified in French, Russian, and English. I finished my degree and have applied for my license. I've also applied for several actual jobs, and am averaging about one interview per week, which is way beyond my expectations. My aunt, who works in human resources for the local school district, said that my application is amazing. I have great letters of recommendation and I placed in the top 10% on the Teacher Insight test (a personality test). So, that is looking good. I can't wait to move out of my parents' house. I love them, but I need more space than just one room.

2. I'm a writer. I've participated in NaNoWriMo every year except last year when I was student teaching in France. I've also started trying to write more short stories. My current project is a vampire novel set in Seattle -- no romance. I'm also working on a short story that is a modern retelling of Christine Rosetti's Goblin Market. I've dabbled in fan fiction, as well, and am a huge Severus Snape fan. I love moral ambiguity.

3. I like computer role-playing games. I played the original Baldur's Gate on my old computer, and now have the GoG version on my newer (but oldish) computer. I tried WoW, but prefer single player games. I also really enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins -- the only game I've actually finished, but was unimpressed with Dragon Age II. The fact that I only have it in French makes it doubly difficult. Both of those games are on my newest computer, a Mac laptop that I initially got for writing purposes.

4. I have friends, and like my life. I'm not married and not looking for someone to marry. I'm, overall, happy with my life the way it is. Oh, and our family has 2 cats that I adore. When I move (when I get a job), I'm getting a cat of my own. I love my cats.

2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    SP has a forum for original fiction (among other things), Creativity Surge. Post some of your writing there sometime if you care too - some of us might actually read it. :)

3. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    A writer ... good. Writers tend to be very interesting people I think. Also its always nice to have other bloggers here :)

Lol - You might like the Alleys of Dangerous Angles. Lots of moral back-and-forth there :p.

BTW nice recipe in the cooking thread. I do something similar with wings but next time I will give your method a try :yum:

4. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I might post questions or something there, but unless it becomes a private message board where the public can't actually see it, I probably won't post actual works until I've exhausted my publication options. I don't want to lose First Rights. That said, I'm excited about the creativity board and will probably post there, just not actual stories. Thanks for the reminder!

5. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Dice, I don't know how frequently I'll post here, probably just updates on the job search and anything else interesting that comes up. I'll have to check out Dangerous Alleys, although I get nervous about anything too opinionated (i.e. the things I get opinionated about). I'm glad you liked the recipe! Let me know how it turns out.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What's to be nervous about? It's a gaming site where you're pretty much anonymous. The worst that can happen is everyone disagrees with you... but so what? :)

7. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Let's just say I'm too sensitive for my own good. I know better, but knowing better doesn't usually make me feel better.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    For the record, I don't intend to commercially exploit any writings posted in the CS forum now or in the future, so anything you post there you retain full copyright to. Still, if you want to post more privately, you can post it in our MUG private social group - the audience there is much more limited.

9. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Taluntain, it's not you, it's the publishers, and it's a First Rights issue not a copyright issue. If they see something online that is available to the public for free, it means you've already "published" it, and they can't be the first ones to show it around. And they don't want to try to sell something that people can access for free on a website somewhere. So, then they don't want to buy it. I'm not worried about anyone stealing anything :). But the MUG group . . . that's an interesting idea, because you do need to be a member of the group to see it. Thanks!

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.