1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who Hasn't Heard of Global Warming?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackthorne TA, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
  3. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

...lies, damn lies, and statistics...

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I haven't had a chance to watch that yet, but I assume it's a bunch of Americans showing their ignorance of various things. But still, to have never even HEARD about Global Warming? That just defies credibility! :)

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
  6. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I wish there was a smiley which conveyed both rolling of eyes and murder of the stupid ones at the same time...

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ragusa, did that rant have any bearing on this topic? BTA brought up the issue of people not having even heard of global warming (i.e., how can people be that ignorant).

Your post was the old-anti-US-Ragusa-attack-using-any-topic-at-hand we've all come to know and love. :D

BTA: Perhaps they are counting the 13% that have serious mental/memory issues. I know my mother wouldn't have know the difference between rain and sunshine near the end -- let alone global warming.

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I need to correct you: It's an the current-US-administration-is-unspeakable rant on a related thread. Difference. As for the rest, thank you :p and you're probably right. I'll make up a thread of it's own in AoLS.

9. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

How can people don't know about it unless they are isolated from the world? (and they aren't as it is an internet survey) But IMO you can see it nowhere other than USA. Now I know Bush isn't alone in idiocy in USA.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, it was an internet survey, so there will be some people who slipped and pushed the wrong button, some people who misread the question, some people who didn't understand what the question meant, and some people who just pushed that button deliberately just to make a point. In other words, I question the reliability of the results. If it had been an SP Poll, then that would be a different story.

11. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

If it had been an SP Poll, everyone should know about it, we are geeks :p
    There are people who do a lots of other things. Let me example my wife. She works for Burberry, she manage sales and she does a lot of other 'office' stuff; she's in the office at 8 and has a 20 minutes break at 1PM. Usually, she has the lunch with friends from work, and they talk about other people from work or talk about work. She gets home by 8PM. She's now studying English, so when she gets home, we chat about her work or mine; we talk about what we did and other things. By 10PM she starts to do her homework and prepare to the next work day. At weekends, we go out, visit family, watch movies. etc. When she connects to internet, she seeks information and stuff for her work, checks her mail, and searchs for English exercises. She is very smart, very intelligent, in fact, the lady who runs Burberry worldwide wanted to get her for her personal assistant because she knows that because of her work, the store here works.
    Now, ask her about global warming or about what's happening even here at Spain. She wouldn't have a clue. She complains sometimes that she is very out of date in other things that aren't fashion/clothes related.
    So I can understand that some people may not have the time/interest/opportunity to know about certain things.

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Global what?

13. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Dad got a facts book for Xmas and one of them in there was that 10% of the American population still think that the Sun orbits the Earth (Amish communities perhaps?). Should try and find that book, its got some absolute crackers in there even if some of them arent true.

14. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Why should anyone be surprised?

There's a myth among many non-Americans that America is a wealthy nation, perhaps the wealthiest in the world. I'm an American. I've seen neighborhoods that rival 3rd World slums. Most major US cities have vast areas crippled by horrible poverty. Public school systems with holes in the roofs, 30-year-old text books (if they have books at all), etc. Horrible stuff. Sometimes I think foreigners assume that all Americans live like the people on "Friends" or something. It's just lunacy and so far removed from reality.

Look at the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Many Americans and non-Americans saw that footage and were shocked at what they saw. Not just the devastation, but the inability of the government to do much about it. There isn't some sci-fi control center where someone pushes a couple buttons and magically fixes everything with all our high-tech gadgetry. It's a big, inept mess weighed down with a mountain of debt and lack of funds.

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    The surprise is that you can be on the internet (thus being able to be part of the survey) and yet claim that you have never heard of global warming when mention of global warming is all over the internet.

16. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The article doesn't give enough details, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bulk of those 13% hit 'no, never heard of it' out of perversity.

17. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.