1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who has the best stats?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Ofelix, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Two of the player whom I DM are arguing who got the best, nah the less worst stats... :cool:

First

CG 1/2 elven Ranger

Str 12
    Dex 15
    Con 13
    Int 10
    Wis 11
    Cha 10

This is how I see this char:

Well, this guys is all about average stats in no-combat profile. He isn't very well spoken but he isn't an idiot. He's not careless but he may do harsh (spelling?) thing sometimes. in public he isn't very confortable though. In the combat profile, however he is well beyond of the average. His dex gave him gracious move and good reflex than most other and adventurer. He his healthier than most of the people but not that healthier. His strengh is cleary higher than most of the people, while high enough to most work, it may be a litle low to intense mellee battle.

The second

NG Human Cleric of Pelor

Str 11
    Dex 8
    Con 12
    Int 13
    Wis 16
    Cha 9

Again this is how I see it

This guy unlike the other is very well educated. His INT is higher than most of the people and he most likely enjoy using a vast vocabulary. His WIS is extremly high, he will not do anything harsh, prepare everything in advance and most likely do wise choice in batle to help the survive of the group. However his cha is kind of low and he isn't confortable in public he isn't the one who like to lead people. With his high INT and WIS but low CHA this guys may have the ¨ Holier than Thou ¨ attitude, and may be arrogant sometimes.
    In the other hand his dex is very low, and he move disgraciously have bad reflex and he is not very meticulous. His High CON show a great health and he may not catch simple disease. His STR however is average, while not a true weakness the chaos of Melee isn't his place.

What's your opinion then?

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Nice characters. They should provide worthy gaming experience. However, the ranger's stats are too low. Ranger class requires 13 STR, 13 DEX, 14 CON and 14 WIS, of which only one is met by the character in question. In all honesty I don't see why ranger WIS requirement should be half again druid's one when he's sort of petty druid in his limited divine casting. However, I suppose that physical requirements are reasonable. Raising STR by one and CON by two shouldn't make him too powerful.

3. Ofelix

Media:
    only in 2E, in 3E you could have a mage with 5 INT but it would be totaly useless. Their is no such thing about minimum stats requirement in 3E :)

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Errm Chevalier. I think it's 3E, not 2E. 3E is much better for this and I think that the cleric have the best stats.

[EDIT]Oops, you beat me to it D_M. [/EDIT]

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    In 3E you distribute 75 points between stats... but OK, as you like it. Shouldn't be very bad

6. Ofelix

Media:
    Actually they roll they stats, you know 4d6 discard the lower... Cleric eh? why, he got two ¨-X¨

7. Register Gems: 29/31

But he had better +X.

8. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The cleric sucks. How is he supposed to turn undead, negotiate with others etc. with his low CHA?

The ranger is a somewhat nice character. Give him +2 CON, +1 DEX and +1 WIS and he will be much more powerful.

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Actually, there is no given way to determine stats in 3E. I prefer point buy myself, but, hey, that's just me.

Anyways, it is my opinion that the cleric's stats are adequate. Diplomacy can be bought via points, and there's always Extra Turning. The ranger will have to improve his wisdom to get better Ragner spells. Still, his physical stats are a tad impressive.

My verdict? Reroll for Ranger. A bit too low. 25 point buy (the lowest) can guarantee you a net +5 modifier.

10. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think it depends if you're doing a roleplaying or hack'n'slash campain. Roleplaying the cleric wins and hack'n'slash the ranger wins. If its a good mix, I wouldn't even bother trying to compare them; the cleric excels at the roleplaying part and the ranger excels at the fighting part, so they are realatively equal.

As for determining scores, I like 4d6 drop the low, but if someone get's godly stats (I had a character with his lowest being a 10, every thing else above a 13, including two seventeens) I either bring every body to around his power or I tone him down a bit (I prefer the second because it makes most people happier and doesn't hurt any one's feelings).

11. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

give one of them high int, then play smart and play smart to survive. Flanking for instance gives +2 to attack which is just about a +4 dex or str mod (except for damage ofcourse).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.