1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who can stop the rain in Oblivion?

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by kuemper, Jul 12, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Did the designers fix it so you can stand under an awning or bit of roof and not get rained on? I found that annoying in Morrowind.

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

What's so annoying about it, never walked in the rain yourself ? It's part of life and can be quite refreshing you know. :D

Anyway, your best bet might be a mod or plugin that takes care of it, but i'm not sure why anyone would want to make such a mod. after all, rain and thunder and lightning are realistic, and your character won't start nagging for dry clothes.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Little chance such a mod could be created as it asks for a massive haulover of the game engine.

[ July 18, 2006, 15:41: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I found it frustrating myself. I like to roleplay my character, and being a fragile mage and all, i made use of the tent in a bandit camp i "cleaned" before. When zooming in i saw the rain splashing all over me, same as when i was outside it. Kinda ruins the mood of being cosy and dry with a fire while it's pouring outside.

@pac man
    Dont think you understood... There's nothing wrong with the rain itself, only how it disregards any solid surfaces on it's way down.

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It's standing in a tent or a building and still getting rained on. Sort of like seeing Blue Heck if you turn the camera just so.

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Hm...weird, that doesn't happen in my game. Once i enter a building, i'm in dryland. Must be some kind of bug i suppose.

7. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

No-no; I see what Kuemper and Gothmog are talking about - not an interior building/tent cell of its own, but more like an overhanging canopy or under a bridge, or the like in the 'outdoors' cell.

E.G. Go to Balmora, enter the Mages' Guild, then walk out the door next to the guild steward - while it's raining in Balmora.

You'll be standing under a 'balcony' with walls on two sides, an archway ahead of you out to the street, and another leading to a similar alcove outside the Fighters' Guild. And if you look straight up, you will see a solid ceiling with rain magically shooting straight through this supposedly solid object...

Sorry, I *LOVE* Morrowind, and will likely endevour to upgrade my PC asap to be able to run Oblivion, but watching 'magic rain' go straight through solid objects and still get to me destroys my willing suspension of disbelief. :(

Oh, and pac man? You've never gotten pneumonia, have you? ;) Never had to tromp home 1/2 mile (or 1km, whatever :p ) in a cold, windy downpour and been thoroughly drenched, shivering, soggy, and miserable by the time you've reached home?

Yes, rain can be refreshing, and warm and wonderful, but can also be oppressive, gloomy, and - sometimes - downright life-threatening. And it's a testament to Bethesda's skill that they can evoke emotions (of both kinds apparently) from players with their totally fictional thunderstorms. It's just a shame that this otherwise amazingly believable weather has this rather jarring flaw.

Sorry, to 'rain on your parade,' so to speak. :lol:

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Hmm, never noticed this, even in Morrowind. The only time I look up is at a clear sky, when I'm waiting for fatigue to replenish or something like that. They do such a good job with that sky, whether it be blue sky with slowly moving clouds, or a beautiful starscape with the occasional showing of the two moons. When it's raining, I just rush everywhere trying to get my stuff done as quickly as possible and damn the fatigue. I hate the rain.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.