1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who are your favourite 3 NPC's?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Neeraj the Freak Paladin, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Korgan - its nice to have solid ground to stand on. He keeps all those ghouls and horrors away, which gives me time to play with them.

Aerie - lovely girl. I always want to do the romance with Jaheira, but no matter what, I end up with the Avariel. Just cant help myself. :( She is a superb spellcaster as well... if only she could at least get to the 7th level of magic in SoA. Also, she is good while I am NE more often than not. I like that. :D

Those two are standard members in my parties.

Third would be Jan Jansen. Perfect for the traps and locks, adequate for fighting due to his spells.

2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Horny teenage boys?

I'd take Viconia over the other two whores anyday. Why? Not because I'm a horny teenage boy(I'm many years past being a teen), but because she complements my evil godling of murder perfectly.

She's intelligent, strong enough to flee to the surface and resourceful enough to survive until she meets my PC.

My PC desires power and knows that it is his divine right to lord it over others and crush them beneath his heel. Viconia understands and approves of that.

I always have to put a sword through Aerie's ribs when she starts her incessant whining or whack off Jaheira's head when Drizzt attacks me. Viconia? She urges me on to seek greater glory by fighting Drizzt. My PC has heard much of this famous drow and would definitely want to best him in battle to test his own strength. Is there a woman (or elf, unfortunately. I hate elves.) who can better stand by my PC's side and slaughter all who stand in his quest for power and glory?

The comments associating Viconia with brainless, horny drow fanboys have offended me somewhat. So I'm shooting it right back at the fans of Aerie and Jaheira.

Aerie lovers: Emotional/mental paedophiles or emotionally unfulfilled teenage boys who think they're mature and feel an urge to cuddle and protect a sympathy seeking whore like her.

Jaheira lovers: Sufferers of Oepedius complex, grave-robbers or rednecks who've fancied their elder sister for a long time and enjoy peeking at them when they're bathing.

Comparing and contrasting, I'd rather be a 'horny teenage boy'. So there. Cuddle your soft toys, pet your shape-shifted druid whore.

I'm gonna kill a few solars with Viconia. And take out Lathander, Torm and Tyr along the way.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I don't like drow elves with out-of-sync emotions, who call you "dog" after you've their saved their lives. And she constantly talks about sex. Sl-(bleep).

Just my two cents.

Anyways, my favorite PCs are probably Cernd and Haer'Dalis. Both are very interesting. Black Isle really should have elaborated on them (is there a Haer'Dalis romance mod?). Ironically, I have yet to play a party with both of them. I should try that sometime. Perhaps I'll get some interesting dialogue. Poor on Constitution, though. :(

Yoshimo is alright. It's nice to see a stereotype of the Asian, a parody of the ninja/samurai/whatever. It's pretty funny, actually. Of course, there's that whole deal with his bet- er, never mind.

Minsc is fun too. He's stupid, foolish, uncivilized, and blindly dedicated to his own, fairly vague cause. Which is why he's so necessary to the plot of BGII: comic relief, and yet teaching all the little adolescents that even a big, dumb, hulking barbarian has his own morals and conscience. And a pet hamster. Everyone needs a pet hamster.

Or at least an ice weasel. Come on, cold calculated evil (like Sarevok, Irenicus and Bodhi) is boooring. I want to see a joke-telling, friendly, extraordinarly inhumane demon villain.

(And huzzah, I'm an Emerald.)

[ September 27, 2003, 01:36: Message edited by: Oaz ]

4. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Jahiera can be incredibly powerful, but I really don't like her. She really annoying.

Viconia is great for her Magic Res. I really think she's overpowered though. I really like how she is so demeaning of the PC. I don't like how you can romance her. I don't think you would appeal to her... you're not drow, and therefore you're weak.

Anomen is annoying.

Keldorn makes the cut. Valygar too. The last entry goes to Imoen or Haer'Dalis (not because he's powerful but because he's interesting). Anomen would make it except I'll have my PC use Crom Faeyr mostly, and Anomen is a total wuss without it.

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Maybe if I had an older sister, which I don't. :D :p

In the meantime, Jaheira and myself are busily wasting some drow. :cool: Viccy best watch her back. :evil:

6. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Anomen is annoying! Agreed! But I do beleive he is still pretty powerful even without Crom Faeyr in his hands.

I find him to be a terror to undead creatures with his Mace of Disruption and all his awsome anti-undead spells! I have him at level 14 right now and I don't picture myself taking him out of my party anymore because he has been an MVP for me on more than one occasion (albeit an annoying MVP!)

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I don't think he's a very deep character. The deep ones, I think are (in order) Haer'Dalis, Cernd, Valygar, and Viccy.

I like Anomen's Turn Undead. It's quick and efficient. Viccy's isn't so because if you're fighting undead, you're most likely not fighting any living, so the undead can't help fight (unless there's some really powerful undead that you can't control, which the controlled undead can help fight) and it takes a long time to kill off the controlled undead, unless you just walk away, which I don't do. I don't like Anomen's wisdom score though. I don't see why a score of 12 (or even 16) gives him the right to dual-class to a cleric. He's really an unconventional character. Nothing about him really makes sense.

I admit he can become powerful, but Jaheira can be more so, and undead aren't really much of a challenge by the time he gets powerful enough to be effective. Jaheira's high Dex really helps too.

I actually pitted Korgan vs. Jaheira in a one on one melee w/spells. I threw Ironskins on and Raged Korgan. End result? Jahiera kicked his ASS! So, as you can see, Jahiera can be one of the most powerful characters in the game.

8. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I agree. But yet, for me personally, undead are always irritating to me because of level drain! Thats why I like having 3 people in my party to cast Negative Plane Protection (Jaheira, Anomen and Aarie). And Anomen can really burn them to hell with Bolt of Glory, Repulse Undead, Turn Undead, False Dawn and my personal favourite, Sunray! :D

Yeah Jaheira is so versatile! Korgan is an awsome fighter, but versatility usually drives someone's market value higher!

I have her wearing Gloves of Ogre Strength (Str: 18/00) right now so she is just as effective in combat as she is in a spell casting role for me.

9. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

That's Oedipus Complex, genius. Anyways, I don't have a sister either, but I thank you nevertheless for the mental images of Jaheira bathing... :love:

Curious, though - why do people fall for that stupid misconception that Drow females are great lovers? Heh, remember, that Drow have a matriarchal society, where males must do everything to please women... so, I doubt that Viconia actually knows anything about how to please a male... I'd imagine that sharing a bed with her would be a pure horror.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    First of all, let's clear up a misconception. Oedipus Complex isn't about your sister, it's about your mother. Oedipus killed his father and married his mother, so in a sense, everyone is wrong who has commented on that thus far.

Now for me. I have two lists, one for my favorites, and one for the most powerful.

Favorites: Korgan, Edwin and Jan

Most powerful: Jaheira (once she gets level 7 spells, it's almost not fair to have her in the party)

Keldorn (does he really need Carsomyr? I mean, could they have unbalanced this guy any more?)

Edwin (IMHO this is the only person you can take along if you only want to bring one mage)

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I know this is a bit off topic, but being a student of psychology for a month (we covered the Oedipus complex today), it could very well apply to an elder sister. A person as a child might simply see the elder sister as a nurturing figure, and that person would want to marry his sister.

Of course, he'd see the sister's boyfriend/husband as a rival, and have a desire to kill him.

Which leads to an interesting point: if you romance Jaheira, does it hint to some repressed hatred toward your adventuring companion from BG?

12. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yes, yes, everyone makes spelling mistakes when they type too fast. Thanks for pointing that out, genius. :rolleyes:

I know what the Oedipus complex is. Noticed the use of the term 'or'? For example: Jaheira can be likened to a whore or an insignificant bug that deserves to be crushed under [Charname]'s foot.

Bed issues aside, Viconia is perfect for the evil [Charname], not simply because she's a "h0t dr0w ch1ck!!!!11" :rolleyes: , but mostly because her personality makes her the ideal companion for the evil overlords that my [Charname]s are. I've already said so in my previous post.

Viconia is no less deep, nor less intriguing than Jaheira and Aerie. IMO, she's a hell lot more of a woman than the two sluts are. Whiny and bossy usually get 'chunked' at the earliest opportunity. Jaheira dies in her cage in Irenicus's dungeon and Aerie dies as an ogre, with her 'key' shoved up a suitable bodily orifice.

13. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You are insulting your own fave with this comparison. Calling Aerie deep and intriguing personality is just... well, offending. Aerie's character is shallow and her so called 'character development' is and totally incredible. She whines for all of SoA and suddenly in ToB she's reformed and is suddenly brimming with confidence. YUCK. Jaheira and Viconia both develop much more credibly during their romances, if only I could stand Viconia's treatment of the PC in that romance, I'd say they're both equally good.

I agree that Vic is as deeply developed and alive personality as Jaheira. Heck, I actually like Viconia a lot, and had Jaheira not existed in the game, she'd been my favorite.

Perhaps I should play as evil and romance Vicky, never done that. Currently play as evil and romance Aerie. Booted Jaheira early and when we found Viconia, Jaheira was not there to defend the drow and dear, loveable LG racist Aerie begged my PC to help kill the helpless drow. How could he refuse? Nice death scream though. Funny thing is that her body remains there for the rest of the game, even when you return a month later from Underdark. That's kinda unsanitary, isn't it?

Oh well... Vic's just gotta wait till my next game, maybe I'll choose her. Not bloody likely though, well, at least when Jaheira's around she won't get killed.

14. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] I dont see how Viconia is deeper than Aerie. The drow cries & whines how sad the fate of her brother is and what a terrible goddess Lolth turned out to be. Big surprise!
    Viconia is more into hurting other people and doesnt seem to know what is what with her own feelings. You call that deep - I call it pittyful. Especially for such a "mature" & "experienced" woman.

Aerie is trying to learn more about herself and her feelings. What her place in this world might be and so on. And there IS a change in her personality by the middle/end of SoA. You call it shallow - I call it growth.

By the way, they are quite similar in a way. Both lost what was important to them because of a child. ;) Viccy didnt sacrifice that baby in the name of Lolth; Aerie tried to safe the child from the slavers.

Furthermore, I feel that their world is dual, as is ours. Good and evil complement eachother and make life what it is: constant struggel. My PC is evil (he is a spawn of a dark god after all) but tries to improve himself. Aerie is a representative of goodness, something my character isnt, maybe never will be. Thats why he is attracted by her inner light.

[ September 30, 2003, 15:30: Message edited by: Dendri ]

15. Zen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

mine would have to be........

1) haer'dalis- he isnt very strong or anything....i just hav ethe hots for him *blushes*

2)Minsc- he is so freakin funny!!!!! and not to shabby when he's fighting too....BOO THE MINIATURE GIANT SPACE HAMSTER!!!! hahahahahahhwhehehehe ^_^

3)...uhhh...well its getting harder to decide i'll go with jaheira, she is nice, fairly strong, a decent fighting, has good views. i wish i was more like her

16. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Jaheira and Aerie suck majorly.

I take Anomen, Valygar and Jan as essentials usually.

Of the three romancable women, Viconia is the best, as she actually has a brain and doesn't whine nor mother too much.

17. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My list.

Jaheira
    Keldorn
    Aerie

18. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

1. Yoshimo
    2. Edwin
    3. Jan

19. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

My favorite 3 NPC's would have to be:
    1.Viciona---------
    very powerful cleric when she levels up:)
    2.Edwin-----------
    probably the best wizard in the game,his necklace gives extra spells to! :)
    3.Korgan----------
    awesome fighter give him some good plate and a decent axe, and he can crush enemies :)

20. Arutha Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Viccy's also my fav, but for reasons opposite to Shura's: she was the perfect complement for my paladin.

Is their any better test for a paladin's faith, resolve and restraint than to love an evil, power-hungry woman ?
    Any better test for his humility ?

And what's the greatest victory for "Good": to destroy hordes of foul demons... or to redeem a lost soul through compassion and love ?

Romancing Viccy is imo the true test of a "good" character's worthiness on his way to Godhood or to the ultimate sacrifice.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.