1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Whine about str checks

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Shralp, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Ok, 3E is groovy. 3E is grand. If I were a woman, 3E would be my man.

But I don't like the str check for multiple characters.

Check me on this: I push really hard on, say, a jammed door. Ya roll a str check, right? So that's d20+2, say. Then another critter, Billy Bob, comes to help me, and he's got a 15 str. Instead of rolling 2#d20+2, we only add Billy Bob's str bonus. So it's d20+4.

Logically this doesn't make sense. If there's room to push and everything, then me and Billy Bob should be twice as effective. (I suppose you have to account for leverage if it's something that pivots and he is closer to the hinge.) In the 3E world, a fellow who tried to help me would be no help at all if he didn't have a str modifier. This don't make no steenking sense to me.

[This message has been edited by Shralp (edited February 28, 2002).]

2. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If you don't like the rules, change them. That's the beauty in role playing games. Not a big deal, as a GM (or DM, whatever you prefer) I don't really care what the rules say, as long as the game proceeds like it should.

3. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The situation you describe is not really covered in any of the rule books. Adjucating a combined ability check is always problematic. How easy is it for two people to attempt opening the same door at the same time. If not coordinated, the combined attempt could be less effective than either attempt would be done seperately. In straight lifting attempts, a combined lift weight can be applied if both characters can get a grip on the item and lift properly. This is not the case with other checks.

With strength checks, I do have an alternative method of adding another character. unless a specialized tool is used to allow for combining the rolls in a different way, this method can be used.

One person is designated as the primary attempter, and the others are helpers. The primary person rolls the attempt. After that each helper rolls also. The result of the helpers roll minus the base DC of 10 is then added to the result of the primary roll. For example: Dorf Oxhead is trying to open a locked heavy door. He has a strength of 18. He rolls a strength check to open the door and compares the result to the DC of 25. His roll is a 15 he adds 4 for his strength and the result is 19. The door is not open. His friend Knuck Bigarms decides to help. His strength is 16. Dorf is kept as the primary and he roll again. This time he rolls a 14 +4 for a total of 18. Knuck then roll too. He gets a 12 +3 for strength for a total of 15, minus the base DC of 10 and 5 will be added to Dorfs roll for a combined result of 23. The door is still not open.

It is possible that the result of the added person could decrease the total result. This would represent an uncoordinated atempt.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited February 28, 2002).]

4. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

A most excellent alternative. That way a horde of kobolds could push and have an effect, except for the poor dweeb who rolled a 1 and tripped several companions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.