1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which race fits the story best?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Zaragoth, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

For a class i would have to say fighter. I don't think it would be a mage or a cleric since in bg1 in candlekeep there are all those people there who have minor chores for you to do and it seems from the conversations and the journal notes that you do these chores daily. If that's so then they wouldn't have much time to study mage spells or get in touch with their god or whatever. I also don't think that gorion would let the child practice magic as i imagine him to be overprotective.

I imagine that the main character led a sheltered life in candlekeep so i doubt they would be a druid, ranger, or paladin since they never left candlekeep before bg1 so they can't get in touch with nature, some paladin order, or whatever. Same thing with the monk.

I doubt he's a thief as gorion watched over him and would probably keep him from stealing and other bad habits since gorion probably watched over him closely since you're a child of bhaal.

He could possibly be a bard but i doubt he would be a sorcerer since gorion would notice if he had magic flowing through his veins and probably ask for assistance or something.

For a race i would have to say human but i cant explain for fear of giving away ToB spoilers.

As for gender i would have to say male since the conversations seem to be made for a male character and males played a more dominant role back then.

2. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Men don't actually play a more dominant role in the Forgotten Realms. It's not a very medieval world, it's fantasy adventure, and with a few subculture exceptions, males and females are about on equal footing. The BG games have quite carefully retained this. I agree with you that the dialogue was mostly written with a male character in mind, but there's no story reason the main character couldn't be female.

I don't think the class of the character needs to be so constrained, either. When you begin BGI, if I recall correctly, you get a little backstory explaining how your interest in being a 1st level whatever was sparked (reading books made you want to be a mage, hanging out in the forest around the keep made you want to be a ranger, sneaking around with Imoen made you want to be a thief, etc.), and since you really did start that game at 1st level, there's no reason to assume Gorion had to teach you any of it. The only classes that seem a little odd for the story are the culturally bound ones like barbarian or kensai. Kind of weird that your character would turn into those without a mentor from an appropriate culture.

The only race that makes me real uncertain is half-orcs. If the main character had been a half-orc I think the first game would have had to have gone a lot differently since orcs were public enemy #1 out there. You would have gotten more flak than Viconia ever did, and it just didn't happen that way.

3. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Deviant and Tyresian. If you're saying what I think you're saying about the PC's mother's relationship with Gorion, you don't need to worry about wspoiling TOB. I've just finished replaying BG1 and Gorion's note in BG1 says that Gorion was PC's "friend and occasionaly lover". So I guess human, elf or half-elf it is (Ulruant is supposed to have a thing for elven ladies, why can't Gorion)

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Iirc dragons can take human form, just like firekraag did in BG-2 ... that would explain the ... ahem ... technical part ;) and for the biological part ... never underestimate the magic of the moment :D

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited July 29, 2001).]

5. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well... how could bhaal mate with a rabbit then? Or a goblin? Or a xvart?

6. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] I think a half-orc jester would be most fitting. :)

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Who knows ... maybe the killer-rabit from the holy grail is such a creature. I think it will depend on if Bhaal's able to choose the form of a rabbit since it is unlikely that there are rabbits able to shift to human form ... unless Bhaal meets a pretty romantic shapeshifter druid girl ... who knows

I can imagine it: "... the little white rabbit stops chewing his carrot and shifts to slayer form ... "

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited July 30, 2001).]

8. Oricalcum Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You would think Bhaalspawn would have their own physical differences, like Haer-Dalis. He did not get off so easy with a Fiend in his bloodline.

9. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yeah, I rather wish Tiefling were an option...but I think the character creation(to be done properly) would be way more complex than other races. (Hmmm, choices, choices...claws are tempting...but then again I really fancy a prehensile tail like Annah...ooooohhh, wings).

I think that the perfect race/class would have been Tiefling Sorcerer. They have that whole extraplanar powers thing going on.

10. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Ok i have always been thinking about bhaal as a human. Stop me if im wrong but doesnt that destroy the whole idea about being any pure race except human? So human is my guess
    Tasohan

11. DemoGorgon Guest

NO NO NO!
    There is no answer to this! It doesn't mateer, they all work.
    I would say human sorc though!

12. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] I just thought of something. Doesn´t it say something in the story that the Lord of Murder "made" children of different races? Or do I remember completely wrong? In that case, You could not be a Humna - since Sarevok AND Imoen are humans... Plus, that Imoen could not either be a human. Just something I remembered...

13. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31

Zaragoth, the text doesn't say, that there is only one children from every race. So there can be a lot of human (or elf, etc) children.

14. well.. Somewhere it says that, in the Time Of Troubles even Bhaal should take a normal shape (Human i think) But it also says that before he left he fucked every race on the whole realm.. even rabbits .. as u can see in ToB, so every race would do it .. The classs is ur own choice .. cause u got trained by the monks in candlekeep.. but my favorit IS Fighter/Mage, A Gorion/Sarevok like ..

15. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Sorcerer is just like gods themselves, does it say so? Best choice i recommend human sorc.

16. Tasohan Gems: 10/31

As i said before if i remember correct: Baal was a human. And if you cross a... Lets say an elf with a human the child would be halfelf so how the f*** should you be able to be anything else plain than a human?

17. Talwin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well the way I figure it Bhaal could take whatever form he wanted to when mating for the purpose of offspring. So if he chose to be a half orc and mated with another half orc the offspring would be a half orc. The other way to think about it is that he didn't supply any genetic material at all, Just some of his essense. So a human woman would bear a human child. Elf an elf child Half elf a half elf child etc.

18. Malekith Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Human elf or half-elf i think,although i give humans an advantage couse they are more numerous and easy to manipulate.

as class i say a class thats makes you spill lots of blood like a fighter or assasin, youre a child god of murder and blood is what he likes. As a child of Bhaal u are made for pure killing (this is youre instinct talking)as this is what youre destenie is ... beeing god of murder ... so u cant be a woussy wizard or cleric and may not be falling over issues like this is good what u are doing or not like palladins rangers or druids would do.

And cause i want to keep friendly with female BG players i won't say wether females should be less likely then males as main CHAR. ;) (females rules u know!)

19. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hey, remember the blood only starts acting up halfway through BG1, so you would have been free in your development. Also Gorion, Khalid, Jahiera and the big E all stress the importance of making your own choices, so it's not breaking the plot to go a non-Bhaallike class.

20. Brega Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think a GNOMISH lord of murder would be in its Place! Look how everyone forgets that GNOMES can be really nasty! Your kneecaps are at me mercy!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.