1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which is the best duo option?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Sloty, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Sloty Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

For my next run through I want to play with only one npc, prefferably one I can romance.
    Can also be a mod NPC.

Question is which maincharacter I should take and who of the NPCs I shall take with me.
    Any ideas?

What about a F/M/T as main ?

Who is the strongest of these :Aerie,Anomen,Viconia ,Jaheira, Edwin or Kelsey(those are my romance options)?

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've always favored Viconia. She's an incredibly strong cleric as long as you boost her Strength score with items (possibly her constitution as well, although I've never had any trouble keeping her alive), and she whines and nags the least of all the vanilla options. Generally speaking, almost all evil NPCs outshine the more good-natured ones, so Edwin would definitely be my second choice, in which case I'd probably make a cleric/ranger for the PC.

Also, Edwin is romancable? Is that a mod?

3. Sloty Gems: 5/31

Yes, I got a mod(but havent tried it yet) that makes Edwin romanceable for a female CHARNAME.
    But I think Viconia is out, because shes only a single class cleric and I think that class is very boring...

So question stays: Aerie,Anomen,probably not: (Viconia) ,Jaheira, Edwin or Kelsey?

Also the question which is the best CHARNAME still remains...

So it comes down to one of: Aerie,Jaheira,Anomen,Edwin or Kelsey(mod sorcerer).
    Which one would you suggest me to take?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
  4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    There's nothing boring about a cleric unless you're trying to play one as a healbot.

My personal preference would generally be something like: Viconia → Edwin → Jaheria → Aerie → Kelsey → Anomen

I think I tried Kelsey once and found him boring, obnoxious, useless, or all of the above, but I find that Anomen pretty much wins in all those categories.

The choice is heavily dependent on your choice of PC class, of course. If you're playing a Barbarian or some other mundane, then Aerie would likely be a better addition than Jaheira.

5. Sloty Gems: 5/31

I am going to play as a Fighter/Mage/Thief I think.
    Which of those mentioned NPCs would complete the small group to the best effect?(remember: only ONE npc)???
    Also which do you think are the best weapons for a F/M/T?
    Also, is it hard to play an evil CHARNAME in this game?

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I'd say a F/M is better than F/M/T, but whatever. You obviously need a divine casters, so if you don't like Viccy for whatever reason, go for Jaheria, or Aerie if you want a bit of redundancy for your crippled spellcasting.

F/M/T can't really spec into anything, so it doesn't matter which weapons you choose. Flails, katanas, or longswords would likely be my pick, possibly greatswords.

It's not particularly hard playing an evil character, it's just not especially rewarding or well implemented.

7. Sloty Gems: 5/31

Thanks!
    So it is going down to Aerie or Edwin I think.
    Which one would be better in a combo with F/M/T you think?

8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'd say Aerie, but it comes down to preference, mostly. Aerie is more versatile, Edwin will be a better nuker. As a sorc, Kelsey would be an even better nuker.

Ideally, I'd think a combo of Aerie and PC F/T would cover all the bases, but whatever you choose would be enough to finish the game with.

9. Sloty Gems: 5/31

So what do you think about Edwin then?
    Will he and a F/M/T be a formidable team?
    What do they loose if I dont take Aerie?

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Cleric spells.

11. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Edwin is redundant. It's not like you can have too many arcane spellcasters, but you don't need more than one. Aerie complements your lack of spellcasting with her own arcane spells and also gives you access to cleric spells.

12. Sloty Gems: 5/31

Who would you give the robe of vecna to?

13. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    The one who needs it most.

14. Sloty Gems: 5/31

Also do you have some tips on making aerie as powerful as possible?

15. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Sure - play a game with only 1 NPC. Then Aerie will gain more XP and will become more powerful than in a party with more NPC´s.

16. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'd give the robe of vecna to the PC, but it would be most efficient to give it to the one that casts the most spells. I.e. Aerie or Edwin.

17. Sloty Gems: 5/31

what is the earliest to ge a +4 weapon?

18. henkie

Media:
    Staff of Rhyn +4 from the Adventurer's Market, I believe.

19. Sloty Gems: 5/31

With my F/M/T I now have longswords,flails and dual wield.
    Which weapon would you suggest me to learn next?

What do you think are the most important spells I should give the F/M/T?
    I will use Aerie as the nuker and divine buffer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  20. henkie

Media:
    Weapons for your PC would preferably be weapons that thieves would be able to use as well, so that you can use them to backstab with. Scimitar, katana, short swords would be useful. Alternatively, maybe something ranged like short bows, or quarterstaves for extra backstabbing damage.

As for spells, personal buffs / defense spells would probably be most useful for your F/M/T, though really it shouldn't matter that much.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.