1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Dec 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

oops, I am in the wrong thread. But anyway, I'm reading "the testament" by Grisham.

[ May 05, 2003, 12:18: Message edited by: Yago ]

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Good points Khelben but don't expect Sea of Swords being better then Servant of the Shard, because well SotS was the best RA has ever written.

Nonetheless Sea of Swords is still great especially the ending where we see an interesting devolempment in the character Drizzt, although many of course will disagree with me, only cause drizzt is a super mega ninja :rolleyes:

3. Shura Gems: 25/31

[​IMG] Super mega ninjas are cool!

*Holds up a placard for the supporting of Super Mega Ninjas*

Finished Lord of Stormweather of the Sembia series...found it ok at best. Exciting but with weakly developed characters. Radu Malveen is Artemis Entreri on steroids. I bet that psychotic killer could beat Drizzt and Artemis one at a time or both at once.

What other FR book shall I read next? I've finished the entire Threat from the Sea series. Nice, though the main character as a paladin of Lathander, my most hated FR god, pissed me off slightly.

Can't wait to get my hands on Elaine Cunningham's Windwalker and Salvatore's Lone Drow later this year...

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I´m now reading the Odyssey, nice book..

already found one of the SP'ers names in them :D

Weird weird Homer

5. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Just finished reading King of Torts by John Grisham which was sufficiently different from his other books to make worth a read.

I managed to find Shadowdale, Tantras and Waterdeep (Avatar trilogy) really cheap in a charity shop recently and i have just read them. They are about as mediocre as most FR books though. Still if you are into FR they are worth a read too.

6. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] Avatar series are cool, if you are bored from ultra mega super duper ninjas, then it's the serie for you.
    BTW, info about "Condemnation" can be found here:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/nimor
    I personally sneak peeked my WotSQ books and decided to read them as soon as I finish all Drizzt books. Insurrection in Ched Nasad seems really cool!

7. Shura Gems: 25/31

I'd rather read about super mega ninjas then about super munchkin laser-beam throwing wizards...

Don't bother with the Elminster books, people. They simply describe just how uber he is...

8. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

I just finished Good Omens by Terry Pratchett, and the reviews were right - the Apocalypse has never been funnier! A hilarious book, and quite enjoyable! As far as I am concerned, this is a highly recommended book!! (not a discworld book)

9. Keihdra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] After reading about Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy here on SP I went out and bought it yesterday. This is a great read. Love it!

10. Gaidin-_- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Dragons of a Vanished Moon....the ending really caught me by surprise and it was different. I enjoyed it.

11. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I got bored revising for exams so I decided to read Vanity Fair (W.M. Thackeray(sp?)) - its hilarious - I'm not entirely sure its meant to be as funny as I'm findng it but its good fun whatever.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Vanity Fair is an excellent piece of writing, in style and otherwise.

13. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Finishing off Theif of Time by Terry Pratchet. He really does have some unusual ideas.

14. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    It's a very nice book. Susan reminds me eerily of my sister, Susanna. They are too simialr for it to be a coincidence :D

I just re-read Artificial Kid by Bruce Sterling (sp?).... it has been one of my favourites for a long time. The way it has a nice bit of sorta-slash (Armitrage is a multisexual, does it count?), matrial arts, interesting theories, geneticsl, aliens, religious fanatics, social studies and quite the interesting plot :D

Starting a re-read of Time of the Twins. Damn, Crysania is thick. Raistlin rocks... I can remember why he was my firsat fantasy-char obsession :D

(*siffles*)

15. Amberion Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I just finished A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. A really tremendous book. I like the feudal system, with very colourful noble houses.

Before that, I read Sea of Swords by Salvatore. That one was good too. His FR books are still top notch. However, I was disappointed with Ascendance, the first book in the second Demonwars series. I think Mortalis was much better.

[ May 09, 2003, 15:32: Message edited by: Amberion ]

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I just finished "The Freedom of Simplicity" by Richard Foster and am 90% through "Ruthless Trust" by Brennard Manning.

I'd like to pick up a fantasy book next. I'm considering undertaking the new Jordan book :eek: Either that, or the latest King's Blades tale ... those are fun.

17. Gaidin-_- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Jordan == cool

be warned though...he's still in the political phase of WoT....it's slower than books 1-3....

18. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Finished Theif of Time and started on Lords and Ladies. I'm thinking of buying Wyrd Sisters on DVD off amazon.com. Worth it you think?

19. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I read "Sea of Swords" and currently started reading "The Thousand Orcs" by RA Salvatore.From the people's ideas about it, I expect it to be one of the best Drizzt books.
    Homeland and Servant of the hard rule!
    Artemis Entreri forever!

(Snorts and closes his computer)

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Gene Wolfe, 'Soldier of Mist' IIRC the original title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.