1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Dec 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I finished Elfsong (by Cunningham) last week. It was great book... and almost all main characters were bards. :D

/me wants to read Silver Shadows ASAP

Khelben, Drizzt isn't in Servant of the Shard? I must read that book. :p

2. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

A book about the history of Japan. Actually, it is so unbelievable boring, that I've decided, too throw it away.

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Good for you, Harkle!

Just finished Hannibal by... um... Thomas Harris. I loved it. I am such a sucker for Hannibal Lecter :D (Yes... I am that disturbed) And said book gave me some VERY nice ideas :D

I want a memory palace!

I also read the Long Dark Tea TIme of the Soul. Fasicinating.

Now I shall start a re-read of Douglas Adams' Hotchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

(Now... Kerosine or flambe? Choices, choices...)

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Just finished Diplomatic Immunity by Lois McMaster Bujold. Man, she rocks!

5. Malaqai Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Guvriel Kay. A fantastic book.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Finally finished Elminster: the making of a mage.

Now I'm seriously doubting if I should read the next books cause honestly I haven't enjoyed this one so much. It was nice and all but I hate it when dragons get portraid (sp?) as a big lizard with no brains.

I think I'm going to reread Dragonwing, first book of the death gate series. I read it once before in Dutch but the fact stays, translations suck.

Can't wait for the first of may though then my pre-ordered (via Amazon sorcerers place of course ;) ) Condemnation, third book of the war of the spider queen, will be in my grasp and most likely out of my grasp in two days (when I've finished it) :thumb: .

7. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Count Zero
    Lilith
    Jan Sokol: Philosophical Antropology
    Elrik of Melnibone

Well as the finals are closing I had to quit reading.

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just finished "Choke" by Chuck Paluniak, the author of 'Fight Club.' Very cool writer. He knows how to make you root for his scumbag characters.

Just started Hemmingway's 'For Whom the Bell Tolls.' 2 Chapters in and it's great so far.

9. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I started yesterday Cormyr from E.Greenwood and J.Grubb.But it's really difficult for a pupil in the fith English year !

10. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Does anyone know 'The Malloreon' books by David Eddings? I'm almost finished with the fourth and final book, 'The Sorceress of Darshiva'. These are real great books and I wonder if anyone knows them?

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, except that there are five of them, not four, and they weren't, in my opinion, as good as the Belgariad, the answer is "yes" we've talked about Eddings here.

12. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Game of Thrones by Martin.

Only read 5 pages or so. Can't really comment yet.

Still waiting for books 2 and 3 of the DarkElf Trilogy. :(

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Of Eddings' work, I have read the Belgariad, the Malloreon, the Elenium, the Tamuli, Belgarath the Sorcerer, Polgara the Soceress and Redemption of Althaluss. All good, but he repeats himself.

Hitchiker's Guide to the galaxy ROCKS. :D

"The greatest bang since the big one" :D

(Sick, sicker, me!)

14. Volsung Gems: 14/31

Well, now I'm reading "Silmarillion" by J.R.R. Tolkien. It's a bit confusing with all these names but it's nice.

:yot: Apeman, I totally agree with you: TRANSLATION SUCKS! :mad:

[ May 02, 2003, 22:47: Message edited by: Alexander the Great ]

15. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Silmarillan (by Tollein) for the 4th time. Every time I read this i learn new things. Its a really great book! Waterdeep from the avatar series. And i'm also trying to read packoon by spike milliagn but so far i'm totally lost. I'm up to the last chapter and i still have no idea who is who and what is happening. I would really really like to read hitch hickers guied to the galaxy books again but my annoying little brother has lost half the books and i still haven't been bothered to buy new one (sigh).

16. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The Lais of Marie De France -- Highly recommended for anyone interested in the literature of courtly love. Written in the second half of the 12th Century, the lais are short, but often down and dirty stuff, with jealous, scheming noblewomen, lecherous barons and errant, adulterous knights.

17. Shura Gems: 25/31

Been reading books from the FR Sembia series...
    Shadow's Witness was nice...Black Wolf was ok...but Sands of the Soul just sucked. And boy did it suck bad. Maybe I've had little opportunity to see more of Voronica Whiteney Robinson's other work...but she's a far cry from Elaine Cunningham IMO.

Judging from Sands of the Soul, at least...
    :(

18. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

The Hobbit! I'm gaining quite an appreciation for Tolkien's style -- reminds me of sitting around a campfire listening to a tall tale being told by a masterful storyteller. ;)

19. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Omerta by Mario Puzo, and Dissolution.

20. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Harkle - You MUST read it, it's the best of Salvatore.
    Apeman - I agree with you and i must add that, i didn't like Greenwood's style and some stupid reasons.
    1- Elminster casts every spell with ONE word.
    2- Elmara and the lich is crap.
    3- Elminster's tutor's are a dragon and Mystra herself.This too is crap.
    4- Elminter manages to stay alive all the time
    But i must agree that i liked the thief or rogue part (i read the turkish one).

Anyway I started Sea of Swords and expect it to be as good as Servant of the Shard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.