1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Dec 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Right now i'm reading a book of Toon Tellegen. He's a great dutch writer, who has mostly written short stories with animals as the main characters. It ranges from hilarious to deeply philosophically.

I'm also reading Chaucer's canterbury tales and Geoffrey of Monmouth's History of the kings of britain, for courses at the university.

I'm about to start in Kalevala a finnish hero epos or something like that. Perhaps some Fin around these boards can tel us more about this work.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Just picked up Fortress Draconis by Michael Stackpole, an author I find compelling in the Fantasy genre. So far, so good. It's the first book of a trilogy. I also recommend Once a Hero and Talion: Revenant by him.

{Edit} - Avrahtar is right. The book lists itself as both the first and second of a series, so the publisher has some logic issues apparently. In any event, the Dark Glory War definitely takes place in the same universe. I think I like Once a Hero best of all.

[ December 19, 2002, 08:08: Message edited by: dmc ]

3. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Fortress Draconis is the second book in the series. The first is Dark Glory War and I agree that the books are pretty good though I didn't find them as enjoyable as Talion: Revenant.

4. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

LotR: The Two Towers.

5. Mauricio Eiji Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Now I'm reading "Blood and Gold" by Anne Rice

6. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Servant of the Shard (absolute rubbish)
    A Random Walk Down Wall Street (more rubbish)
    and just waiting to finish those two so I can start the new Douglas Coupland.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hamlet by Shakespeare. (No kidding.)

8. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I am currently reading "The Idiot" by Fjodor Dostojevskij

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Antichrist - Nietzsche

and no it isn´t a Satanbook or whatsoever

10. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Crucible by Troy Denning (grisly, but what a read!)

11. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG] Climbing Mount Improbable by Richard Dawkins

12. Mortensen Banned

[​IMG] Another Catherine Cookson - The Year of the Virgins

13. sage calam Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Apeman...i'm reading that also ...LOL good book ...serves Vangerdhast right for following him underground...hehehehehe...lol

14. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The Praise of Folly by Desiderius Erasmus. Still funny, even after 400 years. :)

15. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody - Michael Gerber.

Very funny so far.

16. Mauricio Eiji Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I read "the prince" by Machiavel and now i'm reading the witching hour, by anne rice.

17. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The Neutronium Alchemist, by Peter F. Hamilton. It's not as compelling as the first book in the series

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The Wheel of Time (R. Jordan). Great book, although the main character is way too noble to my tastes and the men too gullible (amusing for a while, but then starts to get annoying). Otherwise :) .

By the way: has the book #10, the one after "Heart of Winter", been published yet?

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is out in Britain it seems. It should be available any day now all over the world.

20. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Great, gotta buy it. Hopefully Jordan has paid more attention to this one than to the Heart of Winter; I got a feeling he was loosing strings from his hands. I still wonder why Al´Thor didn´t do anything to Taim after he heard what the assasins said ("...M´Hael..."), IIRC.

[ January 06, 2003, 12:36: Message edited by: Virne ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.