1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Dec 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Just getting to the end of "Stone of Tears" [Terry Goodkind] second in the Sword of Truth series. Not bad, but I can see a formula appearing.....

Read a comedy style thriller last week which was well worth a read: Carl Hiaasen - Basket case. Pretty good tbh, just one of those picked it up at the airport type books which pleasantly surprises you. If you see any of his books, pick one up. Quite a laugh indeed.

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

STILL trying to tackle Faulkner's "The Sound and the Fury" - stream of consciousness gives me a headache!!!

3. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I'm back to reading the fellowship of the ring. I watched the extended DVD and now I feel that I need to compare it again to the book.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I am currently reading Gods of Fire and Thunder, by Fred Saberhagen. It is actually pretty good, probably the second best in the series so far. I was a little worried after book 4 (God of the Golden Fleece - see my above post) but this one is much more interesting so far.

I would have posted that I was reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix except for the fact that I picked up the book at 9:30 AM Sunday morning and did not stop reading until 5:00 PM when I had the book finished. In fact, I did not even budge off the sofa that entire time - no lunch, no bathroom breaks, and a HUGE reading headache half an hour after I stopped. :D

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'm about half-way through both "Tarzan of the Apes" and "The Exemplary Husband" ... not sure if there is a connection ;)

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Ughh, so here I am on vacation in portugal (my first short vacation of this year :p ) and I thought too myself when packing: Three books for 9 days must be enough right?

Wrong!

I finshed my first (Firesea) on the way over here in the airplane, and two days later I finished my second (Serpant mage) and so I was stuck without books for 5 whole days. Of course I needed too save one book for the oh so boring plain ride back.

So tomorrow on the plane I shall start with 'the hand of chaos' fifth book in the death gate cycle.

7. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I have finished Carlos Jurado's "Foreign volunteers of the Wehrmacht 1941-45" and now I am reading Steven Pressfield's "Gates of fire". Moore's "Stupid white man" will follow.

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Still re-reading Silmarillion. Also, I have taken up reading Evermeet- Island of ther Elves again.... Also, I have read Thornhold.... GAH; I need more Elaine Cunningham's books... preferably with Elaith.

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I am just starting The Elder Gods by David and Leigh Eddings.

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

@ Arabwel
    Yeah thats the one, how did you know!
    What's it like? I've heard some people say it's one of the most boringest books they've read but then other people have said the exact opposite.

I've also started reading the 5th Harry Potter book and "Hitch Hikers Guild to the Galaxy" for the eighth time, or somewhere around that.

And then I've got a book I have to read for school. Can't remember it's name.
    Five books at once starts to get confusing :confused:

11. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

The Magehound by Elaine Cunningham. Quite interesting.

12. Danj Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I just got the first book of the Wheel of Time saga. Jeez what a tedious read! Then again it's not a very good idea to read 9 books at once. Everything becomes "tedious"

13. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I just finished tad williams sorrow, thorn...
    now i'm reading the Silent blade by R.A Salvatore :thumb:

14. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Word of advice about the Wheel of Time: Stop while you like it! And if you think it's tedious by the 1st book you will hate the 10th... one-thousand pages where nothing at happens. I used to be a big WoT fan (I love the characters) but it's looking as though it'll never end now.

As for myself I just finally got around to reading A Thousand Orcs by R.A. Salvatore -- wicked good! :D

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I have just finished The Adversary by Julian May and have started on The Bone Dolls Twin, which is quite brilliant.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Shadows of Doom by Greenwood. Elminster with no magic. Should be fun.

17. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I've just finished Queens' Play by Dorothy Dunnett which is the 2nd book in a 6 book series. The main protaganist, Francis Crawford, is probably my favourite character from a book. I also finished Neuromancer by William Gibson and Lord of the Flies by Golding recently.

I now only have 7 books waiting to be read... and if I can find a copy of the new Harry Potter that I don't have to pay for then it will be 8.

18. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Finished 'the hand of chaos', will now be moving on to 'into the labyrinth', after this only one more to go :thumb:

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I just finished the new Harry Potter and am about to start on Battleaxe by Sara someone.

20. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Finished HP 1, 2, and 3. Started #4 and already half-way through... :( At least I have #5 left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.