1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Zipping through Crucible: The Trial of Cyric The Mad again - I love the point of view choice in this book - Malik is an interesting voice to choose (and an interesting character in his own right) for the continuation of this story.

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Reading The Fallen Fortress, book 4 of the Cleric Quintet. Not that impressed so far and keep casting hopeful eyes at my bookshelves in case anything better catches my attention.

3. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Tom Kenneally's 'Schindler's Ark'. Thoroughly enjoyable. Much better than the film if that's possible.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Last Harry Potter

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Still getting through 'A Game of Thrones'. It's going to take me ages to get through the rest of the series.

6. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

It's definetely worth it. That's the best series I've ever read.

I'm just starting on "Good Omens" by Pratchett and Gaiman.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I too just started with a Game of Thrones, with characters so venomous they could eat the Borgias.. yup :)

8. david w Gems: 19/31

Seconded (or thirded) on "A Game Of Thrones". If you only bother with one fantasy series this year, make it that one.

/off topic cheer/

Only a few months to go till book 4!!!

/end of off topic cheer/

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Morgoth, if you think they're wicked now, wait till later in the series :p

10. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Oliver Twist. Yes, the classic. Also, I'm Curently reading The Taming of the Shrew. They're both for classes. Plus, I've got The Book of the Dun Cow (Great allegorical fantasy), and what is, imho, one of the best horror novels ever, I Am Legend. After those, I'll probably start on Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. I read several of them years ago, and would like to read them all.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Cool. I have finally finished 'A Game of Thrones' and I have 'A Clash of Kings' coming in to bat now. Yes - you guys were all correct, this was the quality fantasy book I was looking for.

My faith in your opinions is reinforced even further. Well done to you all.

12. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Started Fallen Fortress, book 4 of the Cleric Quintet. So far, I thought that the series is fairly decent. It is kinda cool to see something different than straight hack and slash or insanely powerful mages just blasting everything to oblivion.

On a side note, ordered the Annotated Legends. Can't wait to read more about an insanely powerful mage.

13. david w Gems: 19/31

Are we reading the same book? The one I'm reading has had a major battle in almost every chapter so far which the characters win by hacking and slashing.

Oh, and they're on their way to kill an insanely powerful mage who likes blasting everything into oblivion.

14. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

What's a borgias anyway?

Anyway I am now reading 'gardens of the moon' by steven ericson. Just begun so I can't judge yet.

15. Harbourboy

Lucretia Borgia was an Italian woman who lived in the 15th century. She is mostly remembered for the fact that her husbands and lovers tended to have shortened life-spans, sometimes being killed by other members of her family (the Borgias).

"Gardens of the Moon" is a reasonably innovative fantasy book with quite an involved back story. I have never got around to reading the rest of the series yet though.

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Are you talking about Steven Eriksson Malazan series Harbourboy? I am reading "Gardens of the moon" right now and I have as of yet not really formed an opinion of it. Things seems to be working real slow and a general plot hasnt come to light yet.

17. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Dante - Divina Commedia (Dutch translation)

18. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I have just started Silmarillion but it is far not as good as the Lord of the Rings.

19. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Jimi Hendrix: Eletric Gypsy by Harry Shapiro, and Caesar Glebbeek

20. Neverless Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The Wounded Land by Stephen Donaldson. It is the first book in the second series of the "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant: Unbeliever" (or something like that).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.