1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

2. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Soul of the Fire by Terry Goodkind.

3. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I've just finished "The Sleepless" by Graham Masterton. While it has a very interesting story the end was awful. The next book will be "Dark Visions", a compilation with stories by Stephen King, Ray Bradbury, Clive Barker and Ramsey Campell.

4. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, given that Elaith Craulnober's parts in almost all of her books except for Dream Spheres are so minute, I didn't really get enough exposure to him to make a judgment.

But after Arilyn and Liriel's sickening over-cuteness...*mutters in irritated disgust*

5. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Grass For His Pillow by Lian Hearn. Book 2 in The Tales Of The Otori and I'm spewing because Book 3 isn't out yet. Thoroughly engrossing series thus far.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't think of the author's name, but I'm reading the sequel to Rhapsody. I believe it is called Prophecy.

7. metal leper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Lost Tales part 1 - Tolkien

How much of the History of Middle Earth has anyone else read? I'm hoping they don't all insist on having 3 revisions of the same poem!

8. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Back onto my Elmore Leonard kick now - just started Freaky Deaky.

9. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Finished Elfsong -- it was ok, but not as good as Elf Shadow. I'm about 1/4 through Silver Shadows and it seems pretty good. But I think what made Elf Shadow so appealing was the interaction between Danilo and Arilyn (the sarcastic humor was to die for)and that seems to be missing in the following books (at least so far).

Oh.. and btw, I thought Elaith was the spitting image of DL's Raistlin (my favorite!) - just not as developed.

10. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Reading Evermeet by Cunningham.

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Re-reading Thornhold by, surprise surprise, Elaine Cunningham. No Elaith (Waah! :( ) but man, do those paladins get majorly dissed! :D

I recommend it to both Shura and Chev :p

Shura, I assume you can get your hands on the Realms of Infamy-anthology. It has a great short story starring Elaith in which we get to see some of his past. Damn great characterization.

I just love Elfsong as an Elaith book.... that banter with Dan is absolutely awesome. Beats the Dan/Arilyn banter any day of the week.

12. Shura Gems: 25/31

[​IMG] Monstrous Regiment, by Terry Pratchett, was awesome.

I especially loved the military humor. There was this one instant when a soldier who suffered from hallucinations said something like this to his officer:

" Fly in on a handy LZ, take them out and dust off, El-Tee. They'll never know what hit'em!"

Lieutenant, aka El-Tee's equivalent response: "WTF?"

:D :D

Bonus points to those who recognize the military allusion here.

And that was not even the best one.

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Gonna picjk that one up soon, then...

For some reason, I am starting to get a liking for military... the horror!

If I ever tell you I am going to join the army, someone please kill me.

14. Human Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Currently reading Deathstalker Legacy by Simon R. Green and all I got to say is that the main character is damn ugly. The auther should have rather brought Owen Deatherstalker back from the dead. Its not that bad though and thats just me being polite.

15. MithrilSilverAus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

:D
    Just finished "Scarecrow" by Matthew Reilly. Not fantasy or scifi but great action novel for those who like the type.
    :cool:

16. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Finished "The Lone Drow" last night. Pretty damn good. Lots of action and some little suprises here and there. Can't wait for the last book to come out. Started Condemnation right after. Will let you know what I think of that one.

17. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Now rereading the demon awakes by Salvatore, one of his better series in my opinion.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The Sword of Shannara, by Terry Brooks.

Is the rest of the series worth reading?

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Harbourboy - The Shannara series isn't one of my favorites but I would say that it is worth reading the rest. The Sword of Shannara is, in my opinion at least, the worst book in the series.

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have read 'First King of Shannara' and now reading 'Sword of Shannara'. At first the plot seemed very Tolkien-like (mysterious old man works out that Dark Lord from ancient battle has risen again, nobody believes him, various races band together in small team to create / find / destroy the only weapon powerful enough to defeat him). But so far it all seems readable enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.