1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yesterday, I started March Upcountry by Weber and Ringo. I am about half way done and it is a nice fast and fun read. I liked the third book and I am pleased to say that book one is just as good.

Edit: I finished March Upcountry last night - I enjoyed it quite a lot actually. I started March to the Sea (book 2 in the series) this morning - I am only about 50 pages in but it looks good so far.

I found the Shannara series to be generally mediocre with a heavy dose of cliche. The Sword of Shannara is quite poor, however, the series does improve somewhat from there on.

I found the second book (Elfstones of Shanarra) and The Heritage series to be the better books in the series. Elfstones is very cliche and quite cheesy but it is at the same time entertaining.

I have read three of the four books after the Heritage series (all purchased in airports to read on the flight - it is amazing how little fantasy or science fiction they normally have) and have found them all quite dull.

I was a bit perplexed when I read the 3rd book of the Jerle Shannara series - I had read the first book but I still have not read book two. As far as I can tell from reading books one and three - absolutely nothing significant happens in book two. The entire book must be composed completely of filler. :rolleyes:

[ September 21, 2004, 17:23: Message edited by: JSBB ]

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Am going to re-read the Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas... it has been ten years since I read it, and, well, I think that I will get more out of it at this age.

Also, borrowed a pile of books by Arturo PĂ©rez-Reverte, the author of Ninth Gate. Am expecting a good read, espescially Queen of the South since I am currently Mexico-obsessed.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The Count of Monte Cristo is brilliant.

At the moment I am reading Red Wyvern by Katherine Kerr.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

The mirror crackd' by Agatha Christie :)

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Tom Clancy

Rainbow Six

6. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

James Patterson's "Roses Are Red"

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Finished the Count, and came to the conclusion that he was v. nice, v. evil and might have looked like Antonio Banderas to my mind's eye.

Am now reading more Perez-Reverte, and liking it. Queen of the South rocks.

8. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

As i just posted in the Terry Pratchett thread, I've also just started on his Discworld Fable The Last Hero.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Jennifer Government by Max Barry - horrah!

Edit: Ripped through that in a few hours. 'Twas brilliant.

[ September 28, 2004, 11:21: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

10. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Now reading Pratchett's "Equal Rites"

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, I just got a book called 'Eragon'. It looks to be about a kid and a dragon, how bad could it be? I'm going to start reading in tomorrow on my day off. :rolling:

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think I saw that book on Letterman, it is written by a fifteen year old kid and published by his family. That doesnt scream quality to me. ;) I might be horribly mistaken though. Heck, it might not even be the book written by the little kid.

13. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    History of the US During the Administrations of Thomas Jefferson by Henry Adams. The author is the great grandson of President John Adams. As a result, it seems to shape his political thinking, which is still Federalist in its ideology. The book appears to focus, at least so far, on how provincial America was in 1800 compared to the European powers and seems decidedly pro-English. But it is well-written and seems to have a genuine "feel" for the post revolutionary period.

14. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I'm looking for another book to read. In the meantime, I'll be flicking through "Eye Of The World".

15. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Conrad's "Heart of Darkness." After I finish it I'm going to watch "Apocalypse Now" and do a presentation comparing them.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Kitrax

If Eragon is any good, lemme know please, wanna know if its worth checking out :)

Myself, I'm reading Poker Game by Fletcher Knebel right now.

17. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

@kitrax:
    My mum's a librarian so I know that Eragon is quite good, if somewhat shallow.

Me? The Universe in a Nutshell, by Stephen Hawking (who recently gave up on the Theory of Everything (I dont call it the TOE, because NOUCIA (No One Understands Computer Industry Acronyms)))

Whoa. 3 parentheses.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

"Assassin's Apprentice" by Robin Hobb. This is my first time reading a Robin Hobb book.

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You are in for a treat my friend.

20. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Yes, that's a wonderful book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.