1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I am currently reading my first Forgotten Realms book :)

It is the first book in the Cleric Quintet and is called

Canticle

So far, it has provided an interesting read. Bought it yesterday and now about two thirds of the way through

2. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

How is that? It looked pretty interesting the last time I was at the bookstore.

Am not currently reading anything, but am awaiting a chance to get to the bookstore to pick up the newest Harry Potter book (#5) and anything else that looks like it might be interesting.

3. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

"Manhood" by Steve Biddulph.

4. Sniper Gems: 28/31

I finished reading 'Canticle' this morning at 7:30am!

Go me!

And rock on Pikel, Ivan and Newander!

Oo Oi!

5. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The Source of Magic, by Piers Anthony.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow! The Source of Magic; I think I read that 20 years ago... Is that whole series still being published?

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Still on Romance of the Three Kingdoms but losing interest fast... there are so many typos and aside from the gazillion characters, each character has a nickname...

@anyone who's finished this:

is it worth it? or should i just abandon ship and start on the lone drow already?

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I just finished Battlefield Earth by L Ron Hubbard. It was surprisingly good.

I also buzzed through "Black" and "Red" by Ted Dekker. Pretty good imagry, but geared for a junior high reading level.

Non-fiction I've gone though include a biography of Jonathan Edwards, about 3 books by Neil Anderson including "The Bondage Breaker", The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin, and Wild at Heart by John Eldredge.

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Battlefield Earth was a very good book! Don't let the horrendous movie dissuade you from reading it! I think that was the first 1000+ page book I ever read.

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I couldn't agree more! It was a bit heavy to carry to the train, along with my "real work" stuff, but I got through it pretty quickly.

They just released a 20 (or was it 25?) year anniversery edition.

I never saw the movie ... was it really that bad? John Travolta as a klingon-wanna-be?

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Worst movie I've ever seen! I don't think Travolta even read the book. The Sci-Fi Channel should have made a 1 or 2 week miniseries out of it instead. The movie doesn't even scratch the surface of the book.

Spoiler about the movie:
    In the movie, the human survivors find an old military base with Harrier Jumpjets and use them to defeat defeat the Psyclos. And it never goes into the Galactic consequences...The movie is TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!

12. Lantus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I'm reading The Druid Queen of The Druidhome Trilogy by Douglas Niles. I'm also begining The Darkness That Comes Before by R.Scott Bakker

13. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

"Ring" by Koji Suzuki. Both the original Japanese version and the Hollywood remake were based on this book.

14. "Sotaromaani" by Väinö Linna.

15. Istolil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well of Darkness, Volume one of the Sovereign Stone Trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Thought I'd give it a try since I really loved their books from the Dragon Lance series. A good book to me is when you feel for the characters and can relate to them. Like I did in the Dragon Lance novels and all of Salvatore's Drizzt books.

16. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Visible Darkness by jonathen King. To soon to tell a verdict though.

17. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Istolli, you are in for one wild ride... I like that trilogy very much :D

I picked up a pile of Feist's fantasy books from the lib, but I can't bother to go check the titles... after all, I am a lazy creature :p

18. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Nothing - I read pretty much everything worthwhile in the local library, including AFAIK *all* the fantasy. :nolike:
    Good thing I'm usually too busy to read anyways nowadays.
    :borg:

19. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Well that was a book I finished in 2 days and I didn't even try hard. It was enjoyable though. I am now also reading a Feist book, the first of the conclave of shadows.

20. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    Just finished Spine of the World by Salvatore. Quite liked it, though I wonder what I've missed by not reading the prequel first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.