1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I am finishing "Warlock" by Wilbur Smith and it's getting a bit boring. Next will come Terry Goodkind's "Stone of Tears".

These two authors provide too detailed descriptions of gratuitous and explicit violence and torture for my taste, but otherwise I like their narrative.

2. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

currently reading Gillian Rubinstein's Foxspell

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, the ending to The Diamond Age really sucked...

I predict that soon I'll be reading Sourcery by Terry Pratchet.

4. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Dune by Frank Herbert.
    Terry Pratchett = good
    Raymond E Feist = better

5. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

@Nizidramanii'yt - The Dark Elf trilogy is infinitely better than anything Elaine Cunningham's every written (in FR at least, since that's all I've ever read of hers). Salvatore gives a much, *much* better look at the drow, his characters are better developed, and Salvatore's fight sequences are beyond anything Cunningham could ever conceive (these are just the few reasons I could list off the top of my head, at 2am and on a codeine high :p ).

For example, Elaine Cunningham's drow are completely humanized; after reading Daughter of the Drow, you'd think the drow were simply a subterranean race of matriarchal, cruel, and yet extremely dandy and dilletante humans (note: humans, not elves...her drow don't resemble elves in the slightest). And as for her main characters, if you ever read her drow trilogy, compare it to her "Songs and Swords" series, and you'll instantly note the similarities between the primary characters in both series...most noticeably: Danilo Thann = Liriel Baenre; Arilynn Moonblade = Fyodor of Rashemen. Her combat sequences are painfully incomplete, and while many people criticize Salvatore for putting too much detail into his combats; I've always found it preferable to have too much detail, than too little (if for no other reason than because too little detail tells me that the author doesn't have a complete picture of what they're writing about).

6. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Now reading "Royal Assassin". Hoping to get it and its sequal finished before A Song Of Ice & Fire 4 comes out next month.

7. Trminator Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

I'm not reading anything at the moment.. Just sitting here, clicking "refresh" on the Robert Jordan-homepage, waiting for mor info about book nr. eleven... I have great expectations about this book, since number 10 was really boring.. So I expect a lot of action in the next one.. :)

8. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Thanks for the info Faerus.
    I considered reading Cunninghams version, but since I got too few time for all the books I'll stick with Bob. He writes good, if not superb, and I'll first finish all his FR books before attempting other ones.

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Second of the war of the spider queen: Insurrection

10. Lontryuin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

A couple:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Douglas Adams
    Dude, who stole my country? Michael Moore
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame Victor Hugo
    The Silmarillion JRR Tolkien

11. david w Gems: 19/31

That's a numerically challenged "couple" you've got there.

12. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Third of the war of the spider queen: Condemnation

13. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The Rivan Codex by David Eddings

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Steppenwolf by Hesse. Pretty darn good so far. I'm enjoying all of these books that I should have read in high school or college.

Nice break from banal Sci-Fi/Fantasy as I haven't been wowed by anything in the genre in a while. If someone has something new to recommend, I'm all ears.

15. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

"Windwalker" by Elaine Cunningham. Just bought it recently, and re-read "Daughter of the Drow" and "Tangled Webs". The Prelude and Reprise at the very beginning of the book were ok. But the book just goes steeply downhill from there. The funny thing is; as bad as this book is becoming, it's still better than the first 2 books in this trilogy.

16. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    _Paul Revere's Ride_ by David Hackett Fischer. Great narrative history of the opening of the Revolution, set in New England, and Paul Revere's crucial role in its unfolding events.

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Dracula by Bram Sroker :rolling:

18. david w Gems: 19/31

"A Hat Full Of Sky" by Terry Pratchett.

19. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

"Starless Night" by my favourite author, R.A. Salvatore.

I'm thinking of buying "The Cleric Quintet" since I really liked those characters, from some of the later Drizzt-books.

20. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Bogart - In Search Of My Father by Stephen Bogart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.