1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #8

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Nov 5, 2012.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I recently subscribed to Bookbub. For those who haven't heard of it, you get a daily email that gives you one or two ebooks that are either free or super cheap. About a month ago there was a link to get "Assassin's Apprentice" by Robin Hobb for 99 cents so I figured I would give it a shot. So far the book is very good and I can't believe I have never read this series.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You should have read the recommendations here, it has been touted as among the best fantasy ever written by several respected board members.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I read it, but didn't find it that great.

There's three books in that series and it kind of ends with the theme of lost potential (or at least that's what stuck for me), which was kind of a let down.

Currently reading some books in the saga of the Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell. Quite good sci-fi space battles and characters. Quite enjoying it so far (got up to the 4th book).

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is really a quadrople trilogy set in the same world and a fifth series has been started. Farseer, Liveship, Fool, Rain Wild and the newest one is about Fitz and the Fool in their middle age. Heavy reading and a struggle to reread but extremely good and rewarding although depressing.

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    See, that's what I don't like about it. I'm easily influenced by reading and that's why I don't like to read depressing stories. Because it's depressing. I'd prefer some light reading or funny reading instead.

6. Gunaso Guest

I was reading Robinson Crusoe, I admire him, a person can survive for so long on the island, looking for their own way to survive, and eventually he will get out alive, with money, wisdom and wonderful family.

7. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Currently rereading raymond e feist's midkemia books (never finished it, since it was still ongoing last time i read the series)
    i just got to prince of the blood, the 1st book in the sons of krondor series, already finished the 3 books of the riftwar saga, and the 3 books in the empire trilogy.

Still plently left to read though, there's a second book in the krondor's sons series, 4 in the serpentwar saga, 3 in the riftwar legacy, 3 in legends of the riftwar, 3 in the conclave of shadows (where i finished on my last read-through of his books), 3 in the darkwar saga, 2 in the demonwar saga and then finally another 3 in the chaoswar saga. that's a whopping 22 books to go :p

I personally like reading large series in one go, i just recently finished reading all of the discworld novels back to back after the untimely death of
    Sir terry pratchett.
    To be honest, i had already read all of them at least once before besides the most recent one (raising steam) since i am a huge fan of his work, especially the discworld books. I'm pretty sad about the fact we wont be seeing more books set there from his hands anymore. :(
    From what i understand his daughter is a writer as well, who might pick up where he left off, but i doubt it'll be the same.

8. Arkite

Arkite Crash or crash through Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Reading some kind of history of intelligence services in the USA book, so dry/been taking so long to read it I've forgotten the name of it. Also I meant to post about...

To me the Farseer Trilogy just seemed to hit the sweet spot between fantasy and reality, and the characters between heroic and plausible. It wasn't as much of an emotional roller coaster as something like the Song of Ice&Fire/Malazan books sure, but it still grabs me everytime I read it and doesn't let go until I've put the third book down.

Also about the theme of lost potential, I sort of agree with you, but to me what came across (the first time I read it) was a sense that the characters were fallible, that time can change so much in the world and that we're all trying to make the best of things. Maybe it's a personal thing because I related to the characters so much, either way I still really enjoy the trilogy.

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just finished reading "Willful Child" by Steven Erikson. I was kind of disappointed. I was looking for some science fiction and instead it was a spoof/attempt at comedy of Star Trek. I admit I did laugh a couple of times, but either I missed what the book was supposed to be about (which is possible), but I can't help but feel that the cover misled me.

Now, I'm about to start "Ready player one" by Ernest Cline. I have heard good things about it, time to see.

10. henkie

Media:
    Read Willful Child as well, thought it was pretty funny. Though definitely not his best work, it was quite amusing from time to time. But then, I expected it to be a spoof / parody kind of book - the back of the book kind of gives it away.

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    That would be the problem with "E-Books". Upon further review I did see that it was meant to be a parody book, but that was kind of further down in the explanation and none of the comments that I read mentioned it. Oh well, it was only $11.99. I can make more money.

12. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Have you guys tried out audiobooks yet? Atm I'm living in the East Coast so it's a lot more convenient for me to listen to an audiobook instead of carrying around a hardcopy/e-reader. Just finished the Dresden Files (amazing narration by actor James Marsters) and now I'm thinking about buying the Dune audiobooks.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To Kill a Mockingbird

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I highly recommend this book if you are a child of the 80s. To everyone else I still recommend this book, but you may not enjoy some of the references as much as us older folk. Rumor has it, the book has been optioned to be a movie. I hope so as I would love to see it.

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Reading Chronicles of the Black Company (based on BoM recommendations :)). It's the first 3 books in one volume. Only a hundred pages or so in, but pretty good so far.

16. henkie

Media:
    Recently read through pretty much all of H.P. Lovecraft's stories. It've found it quite entertaining, though I'd dispute that it is horror. But his stories do create an interesting world.

Currently re-reading the Imager triology by L.E. Modesitt. I like it quite a lot (or I wouldn't be re-reading it, obviously), Modesitt does know how to create likeable characters and interesting worlds.

17. Arkite

Arkite Crash or crash through Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

While going through some old boxes I found a long lost copy of Feist's Magician, still a good read :)

The Great Snook likes this.
  18. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
  19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I am about 80% done with "Son of the Black Sword" by Larry Correia. I have never read this author before, but I am enjoying the book.

20. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just started book one of this series also.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.