1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #8

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Now that I am finished with the desert spear time to Finish Trudi Canavans Magician Apprentice then maybe start the trilogy that comes next. Then maybe the Next Demon Cycle book The Daylight War will be out.

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I'm about to finish Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky and then I want to start reading either Kafka's the Castle or Hesse's Damian.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Finally got around to finishing the series. Sanderson did it justice. The last book was an on going battle with lots of surprises. I will definitely pick this series backup in 5-10 years and give it a fresh read. Thank you Mr Jordan and Mr Sanderson. :)

4. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I need to reread Crime and Punishment. The seniors at my school were just reading it, and I realized I didn't know half of the characters they were talking about.

Now that it's got an ending, I'll reconsider the Wheel of Time series. I try to avoid in-progress series because of the possibility that they might die before ending.

Lately, though I've been reading mysteries. I got through a couple of the Tea Shop mysteries by Laura Childs, then read Catnip by Victoria Tate, and am now reading the Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. It's not what I was expecting. There's a lot of back story and not much mystery so far. I can't say I'm disappointed, though, because the way it's reading really brings the setting to life. I'm not sure it COULD be written another way without losing something.

5. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Now I'm reading the Epic series by Conor Kostick. It's very good. The first book was obviously based on World of Warcraft, but the writing is terrific, and I definitely recommend the series and the author.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Tolkien's Fellowship of the Ring trilogy since like forever, but I've been reading Joseph Ratzinger/Benedict XVI's Jesus of Nasareth lately, as well as a number of legal thrillers from Grisham. And Sun Tzu's Art of War, also unfinished. And a bunch of law books I really didn't feel like reading but it's hard to write a Ph.D. dissertation without reading anything. (Master's was far easier in this regard.)

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Twelve by Justin Cronin. The excellent follow-up to the equally-excellent The Passage. Post-apocalyptic, with a bit of fantasy thrown in.

8. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Both of my Masters exams were based around extremely long reading lists, so in my particular college/field, the Ph.D. would have required fewer, but more carefully chosen books. I didn't get that far, so I don't know for sure.

Right now, I'm reading All the Rivers Run by Nancy Cato, which is a really old book (okay, not really old, but 1956), but also very good. They don't really write books like this anymore, so it's kind of nostalgic.

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi

10. enclave911 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Lonely planet guide to India =)

12. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Got a couple I am in the midst of reading including The Daylight War aka the thrid Demon cycle book by Peter V Brett. also in the midst of the xanth series and Trudi Canavans The Traitor Spy trilogy.

13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Alex Kershaw's "The Bedford Boys". So far it is very compelling.

14. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Been reading young adult fiction recently, and thanks to me my nephews/nieces are receiving a complete set of Riordan's works. I liked these better than Harry Potter.

15. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Just finished The Companions, by R.A. Salvatore. Great book.

Now I am reading The Hawk Queen, by David Gemmell.

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.

I've never read it before; Maya Angelou is quite an amazing person. I was very impressed at how simply and elegantly she could describe the more horrifying things that could happen to a child.

17. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I am currently reading the lies of Locke lamora and really enjoying it.

18. fastfritz Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Nightstalker (Area 51 ) by Bob Mayer

Started Mayer's trilogy. The first book is Nightstalker. If you haven't read any of Mayer's books you're missing a great treat. Since this a trilogy I'm sure he will spin a long and interesting tale. His books will cost you some lost sleep because you can't stop reading until you finish his story. I usually read them in 1 day and night. Book 2 is entitled Book of Truths and book 3 is Rift. I'll give you my thoughts after I finish the trilogy.

19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    In memory of Tom Clancy I am re-reading "the hunt for red October"

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    IMO his best.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.