1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    About halfway through GRRM's The Armaggedon Rag. I'd forgotten how awesome an author he is. Me hearts it.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I loved that book -- I just dug it out of my shelf when moving books from one room to another and might give it a re-read.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Which book dmc? Armageddon Rag? Yeah, picked a used copy up for 2$ around a year ago, I liked it too. I preferred it to Fevre Dream actually.

4. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Fevre Dream is stylish.

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm getting sucked into Elantris. My only problem is so far, I only like 2 of the 3 plot lines. I was a big fan of Mistborn and have the sequel on deck.

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished the Elenium trilogy and the first book of the Tamuli trilogy and the drop in quality is really quite high. Oh well, I will probably be done the last two books by the end of this week. I am really not sure what I am going to read next.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Well I only finished book 2 last week so I have started on The Hidden City this morning. While the Elenium was a fun series to read the Tamuli is just plain tedious. It is not that I really mind that Eddings keeps reusing the same plot but each time he does so it isn't as well told as the time before.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The thing I found more irritating that his plot recycling was his character recycling. Let's face it, his plotline (yes, there's really only one) is fairly pedestrian. The only redeeming feature of his writing was that, at least for the Belgariad, he made some fun characters. Since that, he has been recycling those characters ad nauseum and that makes the rest of his books boring.

9. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Team of Rivals - Doris Kearns Goodwin. It's about Abraham Lincoln's cabinet, which was made up of his political rivals. Apparently he was such a political genius and genuine person that they all came to admire/love him despte starting out as political rivals. It is a good, if long, book.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Finished Elizabeth Bear's Undertow, which was good, though fairly unremarkable, SF.

Also finished Sarah Monette's The Virtu, which was awesome. Everyone who likes Hobb needs to give her a shot. Even more focused on characters, and much tighter. No bloat here.

Now reading China Mieville's King Rat, which is pretty darn good so far. Not quite up to his Bas Lag stuff, but even so, he has a remarkable mastery of language.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Wasn't King Rat by James Clavell?

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Different book, same title. Mieville's deals with a...not wererat, but something similar. Clavell's deals with a POW camp.

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The Hidden City today and then read Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey. I grabbed the first thing that came to hand this morning as I was getting ready to leave for work. It is kind of childish but sweet at the same time and it is kind of refreshing to read a fantasy series that doesn't focus on a traditional hero character. I will be starting on the next book in the series tomorrow morning.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I just picked up a copy of Dogs of God by James Raston Jr. It's a non-fiction account of the events going on in Western Spain during the time of Ferdinand the Catholic focusing mainly on the Spanish Inquisition and the destruction of the last vestiges of Moorish rule in Spain.

I figured since I'm going to be in that region in a month (Salamanca) it'd be nice to know more about the place, it may help me appreciate the sights more when I go down to Granada and Segovia and other places.

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@ Enagonios - Tales of the Alhambra by Washington Irving would be a good choice to read before going to Granada.

16. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I just finished Heretic by Bernard Cornwell, the last of the Grail series, it appears. Cornwell could easily continue on with the characters, but this book seems to put an end to Thomas' Grail quest, at least for the moment. Flight of the Nighthawks by Feist is up next.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Thanks for the tip JSBB, I'll try and pick one up here. Hopefully the local specialty bookstores have one of the reprints available.

18. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Currently re-reading 'The Miko', which is the sequel to 'The Ninja'. Pretty good, although I don't like it as much as the first.

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished the Arrows triilogy and as I really don't have anything new that I feel like reading I have decided t continue on with the Valdemar books and I have started on Take a Thief.

20. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Finished Joseph Heller's Catch 22 and have started reading We by Yevgeny Zamyatin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.