1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The real problem with the Bonehumters was the plotting. Of all the threads the Ganoes Paran was far and away the best, while a few of the other main threads were very predictable in their outcomes - at least thus far. And that brings up another problem...resolution. I could go into some real detail with the story's numerous short-comings, but I don't want to give away too much of the story for anyone who has not read it yet.

But I thought that Midnight Tides was great, just about as good as Memories of Ice - and I really liked the plotting in every thread. But JSBB's criticism is still valid, even in Tides there were moments that gave one puase as to how far Erikson wanted us to suspend our belief in what was plausible, even in his Malazon world.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

What really annoyed me in Midnight Tides was how "The Guardian" just shows up at the end, completely out of the blue, and turns what looked to be a good ending into a much less satisfactoy one. If Erikson had just left things as they were before throwing in that one last random twist I would have have been quite happy with the book.

3. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Lies of Locke Lamora ... good one! Quite Fritz Leiberesque.

Now reading: Day Watch, Lukyanenko.

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Finished Sarah Monette's Melisune. It were am roxxor.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

re-reading Agatha Christie's Holiday for Murder. I love Hercule Poirot.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Finished the second Harry Dresden book last night. These books are some grade A entertainment. I like them a lot and the next time I am at the library I will grab any more they have as well.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yeah the Harry Dresden series is really good and the best thing is that it seems to keep getting better. The first two books are good but the rest of the series is better.

I just finished Off Armageddon Reef. The set-up may be kind of weird but it is pretty classic Weber really. Naval battles between a small technologically advanced force and a much larger lower tech enemy - check. Political/religious scheming - check. Highly intelligent main character who is capable of cutting down large groups of enemies in hand to hand combat - check. That being said, this one was actually better written than most of the recent Honor Harrington novels.

On the way home I am going to be starting on The Bonehunters by Erikson. I feel like something lighter but unfortunately The Bonehunters is what I have in my laptop bag so unless I hit a bookstore on the way to the train station I really don't have a whole lot of choice.

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I am re-reading Firstborn from the Kinslayer Wars trilogy. I love the story, but after reading Hobb and Sanderson, the writing seems almost childish because it glazes over places where the aforementioned authors would have made you really see it. Not to mention typos. Holy sh**! Whoever edited or proofread the book is blind, there are missed punctuation and spelling errors throughout the book, (T'he), (her eyes. turned green, almost as. if something), (andit), etc. It is so frustrating!

9. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Re-read The Sparrow (Mary Doria Russell). It is still a wonderful book, more than ten years later, even without the moments of shock as the plot unfolds. However, in case I haven't previously said this, the sequel, Children of God, is far inferior and in some ways even detracts from the first.

I am hoping to actually read some things on my short Thanksgiving break. Of course housecleaning would be better from an objective point of view, but I already know I won't do that.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    About halfway through Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn: the Final Empire

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Mostly solid, but some of the characterization is less than believable (one thief gathers up his underworld friends and says, 'okay, we're going to overthrow the Lord Ruler. Y'know, the immortal dark lord who is the avatar of God and has ruled the entire effing world for over a thousand years? Yeah. Him' and the other thieves say, 'oh, cool. I mean, that's crazy, but you've done crazy things before, so I'm totally in').

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

is that a continuation of Elantris?

I just bought and started a copy of The Tyrant's Novel by.. heh, I forget, the guy that wrote Schindler's List.

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Nah, not related Elantris, first part of a separate trilogy.

Actually, so far I think I preferred Elantris. Though that may change, depending on how he develops the characters in the second half of the book.

Finished it. No, my opinion hasn't changed. Y'know that phrase about reach exceeding grasp? It applies here. Sanderson attempts to do things that would be compelling if done well, but, ah, he doesn't do them well. It's a modestly entertaining story, but you absolutely have to turn off your brain, as it's more or less totally unbelievable.

The characters are predictable, the plot is not, for what it's worth.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  13. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I've just finished The Golden Notebook. It's brilliant, but intricate.

14. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Hmm, AMaster, I really liked Mistborn. I loved Elantris a lot more, but I really liked Mistborn, even though it was a tad unbelievable. I mean, it wasn't entirely believable, the whole point was that the people could overthrow him whenever they want, as long as they banded together and overcame their despondent bonds of almost slavery. They just couldn't without the help of a reckless guy with powers comparable to a demigod.

15. Azusa Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The Dark Elf Trilogy
    by: R.A. Salvatore

I'm really a fan of Forgotten Realms. I've been looking forward to have The Cleric Quintet after this one.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Haven't really been able to get into the Tyrant's Novel yet. Re-reading Agatha Christie's Evil Under The Sun.

17. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Finished Elizabeth Bear's Blood and Iron. One of the better urban fantasies I've encountered, perhaps only behind Gaiman and Kiernan. It's also unrelentingly bleak (moreso, in fact, than ASOIAF or Malazan or Prince of Nothing. I think).

Now 2/3 through Judith Tarr's The Hound and the Falcon. Very, very good; somewhat similar to Hobb, insofar as it's heavily character-oriented. Tarr takes the emphasis on character further than Hobb does, at least so far, though there are indications that the third book in the omnibus might have more emphasis on Bid Events.

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

set aside the Tyrant's Novel. Finished Clive Barker's The Damnation Game. It was pretty good except for a crap ending. Some really disturbing parts as well.

Was able to find a copy of Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card in a used bookstore for 2$. The reviews I read on amazon are really promising, so I'm starting that tonight.

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The Bonehunters on Friday. I actually liked it a little more than I liked Midnight Tides. Once again we had an uber-character show up out of the blue to drastically change how the ending was going to work out but it was pretty obvious that something like that was going to happen - it was just matter of seeing who would show up. Both books had plotlines where I was groaning whenever they cut back to them - for Tides it was the Udinass/Featherwitch sections, for Bonehunters it was the Heboric/Cutter ones.

After finishing Bonehunters I definitely wanted something light and fluffy so I turned to Mr. David Eddings and his Elenium series. I finished Diamond Throne and Ruby Knight on the week-end and I am almost done The Sapphire Rose. They are certainly not literary masterpieces but they are very fun fast reads. Given how little time it takes to read them I am probably going to continue on and read the Tamuli trilogy after I finish Sapphire Rose. There is a fair drop in quality from the Elenium but I figure that it is good to clear the head a little before I go looking for something heavy to read.

20. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Finished Eifelheim, Michael Flynn I think is the author. Pretty good though I should have waited for the paperback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.