1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runescarred Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

:lol::lol::lol: Hamilton, wherefore art thou Hamilton...

Bettelheim's 'The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales'. Extremely interesting and insightful. The edition is annoying as hell, though: millions of footnotes explaining the obvious... and the translator who thought it was absolutely necessary to clarify on the usage of 'id', 'ego', 'superego' terms and explain that the Latin words are not full equivalents of the German ones each and every time the three perilous terms are used. I mean it, each and every time. It gets frustrating to see the same remark in brackets, over and over, sometimes as frequently as thrice per sentence. Gaaah!

2. fastfritz Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Just finished Declination ( Right Ascension ) by David Derrico. It is only his second book and it was pretty good. Watch this guy as his style is developing rapidly. Be interested in reading his next book to see how much he grows from his latest book
    FastFritz

3. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Just finished the second book from the War of Souls (Dragonlance).

Will soon be starting the final book. Pretty excited by it. :)

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Yeah, it is that kind of a book that takes a bit more patience than a hormone ridden teenager commonly has to digest it. I'm certain i'd have thrown it down after one digit number pages if i'd started reading it then. Well worth the effort of digesting it though.
    Reminds me somewhat of national poets we were forced to read in high school. Proper antique style emo's they were. Hands down the most depressingly mundane text i've ever read. Completely unsuitable for that age. Ugh, no wonder so few young people like to read.

5. Runescarred Gems: 10/31

Freud's 'The Interpretation of Dreams'. Can prove obsolete and one - sided for the modern reader, but I am finding it very interesting so far.

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Feist's "Rides a Dread Legion", Book one in the Demonwar Saga. Pretty good, better than alot of his more recent stuff in the world of Midkemia and beyond.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Eve: The Empyrean Age by Tony Gonzales.

Never heard of the online game before but picked this one up for a song in a used bookstore and it's proving very readable

8. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Total Eclipse by Rachel Caine
    Looks like the world ended >.<

9. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Gormenghast is nice.

The intervention by Julian May

10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

"ORCS" by Stan Nichols, about 100 pages into it. It's a fun read so far. Not neceassarily a Teen book though, I have encountered a bit of rough language so far, but nothingg to bad.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Just finished "Fletch, Reflected". Love these books, hopefully I keep running into them in 2nd-hand stores. I'm about to start "Fletch, too".

12. fastfritz Gems: 4/31

Name of the Wind

Just finished Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I think this was his first
    book. It sure would make a good series which I'm sure it will be. Nice style and a good read. It is a big book but moves rapidly.
    fastfritz

13. fastfritz Gems: 4/31

Just started City of the Rogues by Ty Johnston. I'm only on chapter 4 but its moving at a really fast and interesting pace. This is book 1 of a trilogy. I'll post as the story progresses.
    fastfritz

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just started "The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson. It weighs in at a hefty 1000 pages so this may take a bit to get through.

15. fastfritz Gems: 4/31

City of Rogues, the first book in Ty Johnstons trilogy certainly hooked me. Great character development, fast paced and made you have to read his second book of the trilogy, The
    Road to Wrath. This one advanced the character development and pushed the story forward. Have to read the concluding book of the story, Dark King of the North. Recommend this trilogy if you like fantasy.
    Fastfritz

16. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I bought books 1-6 of the Wheel of Time again recently, so I'm currently reading through #2. its funny how much you forget or miss out, when you reread something years later. Its also interesting to read about things that are foreshadowed in the early books and occur in later books.

Egwene becoming Amyrlin seat, for instance

I'm looking forward to book 13 - I definitely think Brandon Sanderson turned the series around and has done a good job so far. Book 12 felt like it wrapped so much and actually went somewhere, as opposed to just being Days of our Wheel of Time Soap Opera.

17. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I just read Planet Hulk. Meh. I was underwhelmed. Good story and all but the artwork just doesn't engage me the way it used to.

18. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I am in zone of un-attention in which reading is like work. I hate it.

19. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Declaration - William Hogeland

This book is for anyone who is interested in revisionist history, particularly on the events surrounding the framing of American independence. This is a more critical look at the major players who battled in the Continental Congress for independence, mostly Samuel and John Adams, who were involved in a secret plot to overthrow the legally elected govenment of Pennsylvania in order to have its delegation replaced. They, of course, succeed with more than a little help from some interesting, but common street radicals, and allowing commoners, non-propertied folk, the right to vote in PA, which was unheard of at the time.

Their main target was John Dickinson, the PA delegate who opposed them in the CC. In the process, John Adams "unwittingly" unleashed democratic forces in PA that disturbed him deeply, and caused him more than a little consternation. For his part, Samuel Adams didn't give a flip about what happened to PA, as long as independence was secure and Royal English influence was gone from his beloved Boston. An interesting read for anyone who cares about American Revolutionary history.

20. Runescarred Gems: 10/31

'The Opera', by Andras Batta. A huge, huge and informative compendium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.