1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMadMage Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Glen Cooks The Black Company is pretty awesome. First three books are the best.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Started to re-read Eddings Belgariad series and will follow up with the Mallorean and Belgarath/Polgara novels as well.

---------- Added 0 hours, 12 minutes and 37 seconds later... ----------

I just noticed on Wiki that there is another book to the Eddings group, The Rivan Codex. Never heard of it. Anyone ever read this?

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Just finished the two Dragon Age books. Not bad, not great. Pondering reading the war of the spider queen now. Had the books for almost 6 years, and haven`t gotten around to reading them. Steven Erikson`s books are also laying around, but that one is a huge project...

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ... a book written by an old friend of mine. She just got published a few months ago.

The Ballad of Beighn -- Mary Riggs

It's a short story (~110 pages), all in prose.

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Murdo: The Life and Works by Iain Crichton Smith. I'm going through a Scottish phase at the moment.

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I enjoyed the WotSQ books. Different writer for each book changes the perspective constantly, but overall, they did a good job collaborating. I really liked Ryld and Phaerun.

7. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    The first two or three books were ranging from good to okay. The following novels are horrible at best. Why does Phillip Athans still write? dear god why???

8. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I feel ya Rawgrim, starting on something like Erikson is (high DC) intimidating.

The best way to go about it for me is thinking about it as little as possible. No matter what, if you think on it for a while you'll think of several rationalizations why it's not a good time to start. I guess it also depends on your reading style. I'm fairly sloppy and don't mind flowing along even if i don't understand everything (especially Malazan books), getting it on the next runthrough. If you're the meticulous type reader it's probably harder, but it should still work.

So just don't think too much, grab the book and dive in recklessly ^^

9. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Damn. I remember Athans now....He wrote the Baldur`s Gate book. The guy is dreadfull. Bet he ruined the whole WotSQ series by himself.

Ohh well. I guess I will be going with Steven Eriskon. Athans convinced me :)

10. Triactus

Media:
    You're exactly on the nose. He did ruin the series all by himself... :lol:

Baldur's Gate novel... *shudder*

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    A favourite of Tal's if I recall :p

As for me I finished Dragon Wing, the first Death Gate book, a few days ago. Loved it. It's very different from Weis and Hickman's Dragonlance novels and IMO is better. The world is more interesting (especially since information about it comes in a small trickle) and I loved having no truly good or evil characters in the book: everyone is mostly just selfish. It seems obvious that there will be one book per world, but I don't know where the remaining 3 books will go after that. I'm only a few chapters into the 2nd book but I expect to go through the whole cycle in before the end of summer.

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Death Gate cycle is very very good, head, shoulders and torso above their Dragonlance tripe. It is a required reading for any fantasy enthusiast. Heck, I am getting keen on re-reading it now havent read it all in one go before.

13. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just found an old copy of The Diary of Ann Frank so thought I'd have a flick through that. Ashley is currently obsessed with The Hungry Catepillar so I've had to read that to him six times a day!

14. Triactus

Media:
    Try reading him any Athans books. That'll put him right to sleep... :p

15. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    You're just being naughty Tri. :D

Children stories are very important! When I was little my favourite was Puss in Boots (Le Chat Botté in French -"the booted cat"). I'm still quite fond of it. What can I say, I like tricksters. ;)

16. Blades of Vanatar

Not that I'm a literary scholar or anything, but Iactually liked the War of hte Spider Queen books. Now I fel like a dumb a$$....

17. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The Kalevala (in English - unfortunately I don't speak Finnish:))

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I found the WotSQ quite enjoyable as well. Pharaun and Valas were cool characters.

19. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan.

Was sucked right into it, some interesting ideas and awesome to boot.

Also, don't think i've read anything that so resembles my way of thinking. It's not really the "oh i knew that'd happen" but there's something that doesn't get covered with simple "believable, tidy story" argument. Strange.

20. Dethwynd Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Currently re-reading the Firestaff chronicles . These are an unpublished epic fantasy series by James Galloway, an online author. His website is at http://sennadar.com/wp/books/. This is a 5 book series totaling a whopping 1,941,157 words. I highly recommend it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.