1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Finished WH40K: The Last Chancers - Gav Thorpe

Much better than Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts stuff; perfectly suitable for anyone looking for pulp milsf.

2. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The Manifesto of The Communist Party - Karl Marx

3. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Currently jumping between Den Koontz's "Life Expectancy" and "The Husband" and Richard Bachman's "Blaze", damn it's hard when I find so many interesting books in one hit :D

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finished 1634: The Baltic War on Saturday - I found it to be the second best book in the series so far (the best being the first book).

This morning I started on In Fury Born by David Weber. I wanted to start on the next book in the Briar King series but I still have not been able to find it. It is so typical that I go on a business trip and when I return I find that my mother has decided that taking care of my house while I am away involves moving things around so that I can't find them.

5. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I just finished Wuthering Heights for a school paper. It was pretty good actually.

6. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Just finished reading Cormac McCarthy's "The Road". Really good, unique book. Portrays what is probably a more real representation of a post-apocalyptic world than some others like Fallout and Mad Max (but they're still awesome). That versimilitude is what makes it much more thought provoking than those others.

Been working on 1984 since April. Almost done. It's my backup while I wait for stuff to come from the library.

7. Ofelix

Media:
    Anyone care to point out some good Low Science Fiction / Fantastic novel to me, pretty please?

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

What exactly is "Low" sci-fi or fantasy is always a bit hard to define but I will throw out a few choices that I like with brief descriptions. There is nothing really outside of the mainstream here so you may have read most of them already but I suppose that also means that they should be easy to find.

Science Fiction - if military sci-fi is low enough for you then David Weber's Honor Harrington series is an obvious choice. His other military sci-fi is pretty good too. The main complaint about them is that they tend to focus on spaceship and weapon specifications a little heavily at times.

Elizabth Moon's Serrano series is another good choice for military sci-fi. It is less technical than David Weber's novels.

Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series is another choice in the same genre but it is somewhat less military oriented and has more espionage.

John Ringo's stuff is very pulpy and usually is a lot of fun - however he does have very strong political views that may annoy the hell out a lot of people. His work is mostly in military sci-fi but his book Princess of Wands is a pretty decent modern day fantasy novel. His Ghost series is not sci-fi or fantasy so you may want to avoid it.

For Fantasy - Jim Butcher's Dresden series is very good. It is about a wizard who offers his services kind of like a PI in modern day Chicago. As the series goes on it moves progressively towards "high" on the fantasy scale.

Laurell Hamilton's first five or six Anita Blake books were excellent but the series has gone completely down the drain. It was a fantasy/horror/mystery series.

Glen Cook's Garrett series is set in a high fantasy world but the stories had a real PI feel to them. Again the series started well but has gone down hill over time.

Terry Brook's original three Word and Void books were actually quite good modern day fantasy. It is just a pity that he is now linking the series in to the Shannara series. It is basically a human vs demons series with the main character trying to prevent an apocalyptic future.

[ October 16, 2007, 19:53: Message edited by: JSBB ]

9. Ofelix

Media:
    I meant, by Low Science Fiction, That

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Low SF = hard scifi?

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I would recommend Arthur C. Clarke's "Rama".

Or Isaac Asimov: "I Robot", "The Gods Themselves" or "The End of Eternity". Or the "Foundation" trilogy; if psychology counts as a science, it is definitely about advanced science. :)

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Blood Knight was kinda disappointing, so many loose ends :/ I guess they're just paving the way for the next chapter though.

Just started The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue, a friend lent it and said it was good.

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

That would certainly be exactly the opposite of the definition that I have always heard associated with low sci-fi or low fantasy. I don't have any hard sci-fi recommendations as I really don't read the stuff.

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Well, if low SF does equal hard SF, check out Alastair Reynolds. Begin with Revelation Space, follow with Chasm City.

He's overrated, but still rather good.

15. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

acorna's children-second wave............by anne mccaffrey and elizabeth ann scarborough

16. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Any good?

17. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    No, it isn't.

But then, it's a propaganda pamphlet. Give Das Kapital a whirl instead.

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished In Fury Born yesterday - it was actually pretty good despite some pacing issues.

I have started on At All Costs by David Weber.

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Finished the third of Glen Cook's Garret books.

JSBB, when does the series start to go downhill, and is it still worth reading when it does?

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It goes down, IMO, at or after Red Iron Nights, but is still worth reading in any event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.