1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Should I start the Tawny Man trilogy after I finish the Farseer books? I've heard the Liveship trilogy is a totally different set of books unrelated to the Six Duchies setting.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I am finally home again. I finished reading The Briar King yesterday. It started really slowly but the ending was somewhat more interesting.

I should have been starting on the next book in The Briar King series but during the three weeks I was in China my mother apparently decided that looking after my house included tidying up my books so my unread book stacks are not where I left them and the order appears to have been completely scrambled.

As a result, I started reading For a Few Demons More by Kim Harrison this morning. I though I had finished with the batch of Harrison books that I got through the science fiction book club but I guess I was wrong. Anyway, so far it is decidedly mediocre like the other books in the series. Oh well, the next book in that unread pile is a Dresden omnibus edition so at least I have something better to look forward to.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

started the first otherland book by tad williams, hope i dont get bored with it like last time (only made it through 20pages then stopped)

5. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

Dawn: Lucifer's Halo, volume 1.

pretty good gothic fantasy graphic novel by Joseph Michael Linsner.

but i just finished Frank Miller's 300.

6. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Just started the Tawny Man Trilogy.

7. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The Devil's Right Hand: by Lilith Saintcrow

It's a good read, but the main character has some serious psychological problems.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished For a Few Demons More - it was a little better than I expected but nothing special. There was one moment where it actually looked like Harrison was going to wipe the slate clean and get rid of virtually the entire supporting cast but she wimped out on it.

Oh well, I will be starting Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher on the train ride home tonight.

[ October 04, 2007, 19:46: Message edited by: JSBB ]

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Finished Sweet Silver Blues and Bitter Gold Hearts by Glen Cook.

Pretty good. If it's not the best 'urban fantasy' I've read, it's close.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Finished Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner. I found the beginning (first 40pages?) pretty boring but I ended up enjoying it.

Going to start some Greg Keyes stuff that a friend of mine is lending me later. The Charnel Prince iirc?

11. silz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Shadowdale - Avatar Series

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Just started The Briar King by Greg Keyes. Only about 30pages in so far but it looks very promising.

13. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Just finished Charles Stross, The Jennifer Morgue, which was good, but the novella "Pimpf" included as an extra was absolutely hilarious. Bob Howard, saving the world from nameless horrors one bureaucratic form at a time.

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished my Dresden omnibus of Proven Guilty and White Night over the week-end - they were both excellent. It is nice to see that there is still at least one series that is going strong.

I started on Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett this morning. So far it has been a lot of fun.

15. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

I thought Good Omens was exactly that, a lot of fun, JSBB. Highly recommended.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

The Greg Keyes stuff is very good. I'm on Charnel Prince now. Neil MeQvren is pretty badass haha.

Yeah JSBB Good Omens was pretty funny. Saw more of Pratchett in it than I did Gaiman though.

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Rereading "Book of the new Sun" by Gene Wolfe, it was ten years since I read it last and I dont think I ever finished the series. This time I am going to give it a proper go.

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Good Omens last night, it was very good and funny. I started on 1634: The Baltic War by Eric Flint and David Weber this morning. So far it has been o.k. but I have barely started.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

While I liked Good Omens, I found some parts of it rather corny.

I've just started The Blood Knight by Greg Keyes. Not on the level of Erikson or Martin but still very good stuff. I recommend it.

20. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Charles Stross, Halting State. Mmm. Intelligent, solid speculation on the world in 20 years, with focus on computers, networks and gaming. Very current, can't poke holes in it and I work and publish in the field. With a good thriller story to boot.

Highly recommended; a Neuromancer for today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.