1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
  2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Charlie Wu. That is a big part to fill if it was ever televised.

Pulp: Dragon below (Ebberon)

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Crooked Little Vein is awesome throughout. I followed it with Sapkowski's Blood of Elves, which is solidly above average.

Now reading Monette's Corambis, which makes Hobb look sad. Or at least ludicrously bloated.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Been chomping through the lastest Dresden novels. They are all the same, they are not interesting, they do not make you think to put it simply; they are not good. But they sure are entertaining and that is more than most.

Latro likes this.
  5. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Santa Olivia - Jacqueline Carey

I like it when really talented authors take on the urban fantasy thing and show the hacks how it's done :p

6. Latro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

'Agent to the Stars' by John Scalzi.

Very witty. Funniest 'first contact' novel ever.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just read Scalzi's "Zoë's Tale" which was quite enjoyable but it seemed that I had missed that there were other books between it and "Old man's war".

8. Latro Gems: 5/31

You should have read both 'The Ghost Brigades' and 'The Last Colony' before you read Zoes Tale. It would have given you a much better understanding.
    Actually ZT is telling the same story as TLC. Just from a different point of view.

But very well done so that I liked it even better than TLC.
    Very witty and moving. Especially the poem ...

9. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I decided to re-read some of Robin Hobb's stuff, so I am currently on Ship of Destiny. Lovely writer, she is.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    So Santa Olivia ended up being as much a boxing novel as anything else. And I loved every minute of it. Which, y'know, I would not have expected.

11. Latro Gems: 5/31

Just finished "The Return of the Crimson Guard" by Ian C. Esslemont.

Definetely a "must read" for all Malazan fans :)
    Could pass as volume 6.5 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen because it continues the story in Quon Tali after the departure of the Bone Hunters. Even the Crippled God is in it ...

No difference of style to any of the other Malazan books by Steven Erikson:
    1000 pages full of different plots and settings plus an epic finale.
    Not as sophisticated as Erikson (yet) but very well done considering that it's just ICE's second book.

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson

13. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    About half-way through 'The Night Land' by William Hodgson. Its got a rather Lovecraftian way of envisaging things. Pretty good so far, although not particularly what I'd call easy reading.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

just finished toll the hounds and i must say i really disagree with it's detractors, because i felt that it was an awesome Erikson Malazan book. His attempts at being a "3rd person" trying to be cute with all the a) extensively wordy and b) corny jokes notwithstanding.

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Order 66 by Karen Traviss was...okay. It contained a Dethroning Moment of Suck and was certainly the weakest novel by Traviss that I've read. Still, I really enjoy her take on why the Jedi are such Total *******s. The Republican Commando books, bizarrely enough, are a pretty good deconstruction of the Star Wars mythos. I prefer KOTOR2, but still.

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Night Manager -- LaCarre. Not as good as his earlier stuff, but not bad.

17. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I'm about to start Warbringer by Brandon Sanderson. I loved his Mistborn series, so I figured I'd give this a try.

And to anyone interested, he signed on for a 13th and 14th Wheel of Time books too (he wrote the 12th).

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

19. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Back to the Fellowship of the Ring. I haven't read it since '86. After seeing the movies, i don't remember half of it, since Jackson chopped the 1st movie up so much.

20. joacqin

Media:
    "The android's dream" by Scalzi and it is good. Scalzi is turning into one of the authors where I will actively keep an eye out for their new stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.